Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BIG NEWS: Harrison Joins Solid State Logic
My vote: please go all out, and really work hard to iron out all the kinks in the updates for v9 before its 'done'. This is your last genuine Harrison Mixbus version. Make it count! Make it a legacy itself.
OSX, i9 10850k, 64GB, MixBus 32C, Logic Pro X, Metric Halo ULN8 3d & 2882 3d, Icon Qcon Pro X & Icon Qcon Pro XS
Great news! My only request is that PLEASE do not change the customer service. It's the best of Harrison, even better than their analog consoles and the Mixbus 32c. I wish you much success in this new stage!
Wink 
Hi Ben,

My experience when music equipment/software companies I buy from have been acquired has been positive, knock on wood.  Smile

Best wishes for synergy in this acquisition!

Doug
(04-11-2023, 06:30 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote: great victory for all the Linux haters out there in the audio industry and certainly for Redmond and Cupertino.
Wouldn't be the first time that happens.
MMM
MMM - It's not a matter of Linux haters.
I use macOS because I need a range of applications in the 'real' world that linux just cannot provide.
Yes I may be walking with the devil on the dark side.... but it works, I pay the bills.... that is all I want.
I don't want to lift the hood and pull the motor apart, I am not an IT person just a mixer Smile
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(04-11-2023, 07:13 PM)Holger Wrote: Congratulations to this deal. It really might bring my preferred DAW a big step further!
However...
(04-11-2023, 10:24 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: I don't anticipate any immediate changes wrt linux support. We're certainly continuing our developments with the expectation that linux will continue. Personally I'm a huge linux fan and user.  On the other hand, for my 'real' audio tasks I use a mac.

-Ben

...any immediate change sounds alarming to me and I would read it as: Sooner or later we will discontinue... 
I had this once with Notator / Logic: After investing a lot of money for all updates the Windows version was discontinued and I could trash all my software.
After that I decided switch to Linux even for music production and never again rely on paid software. However - after installing the demo version I changed my mind because it felt perfect for me. It's still the only payed software I use (but not the only software I pay for) - apart from some plugins.
So I really hope we can delete the 'immediate' from this sentence and maybe as well dream that some SSL plugins will be developed for Linux as well. Unfortunately professional Linux audio software does not suffer from quality but still and only from vendor support! 
And don't forget : Mixbus would not exists at all without Linux!
Just bear in mind that the Enterprise range of Harrison Consoles is firmly based on Linux.
The thing is that the synergy of working with Audiotonix will allow Harrison to gain access to a heap of resources they have never had.
Equally SSL, Slate, DigiCo etc may well lean on Harrison's knowledge to expand their Linux reach.
That is one of the benefits that you get from joining forces- who knows what the future will hold ?
Harrison are still a seperate division, they get to continue the development, the thing is they now have access to a larger pool of shared knowledge and market reach.
I think it is a great move and Gary and Ben should be applauded for getting this venture together.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
I hope they make a better DAW of Mixbus, or at least make a users poll and ask for improvements in the workflow. In Mac OS the saga continues with v.9 having a sluggish GUI. Anyway, good luck to all and please FIX the F keys in the next Mixbus version!
After thinking about it overnight, I'm pretty sure this is a good thing. But hopefully the licensing will remain unchanged and there won't be any iLok. And I pray for Linux support and that the Linux community will benefit from this. Let's hope and hope for success for Mixbus!
Small recordingstudio in Finland countryside. Mixbus 10 Pro, AvLinux AVL-MXe 23.2, Rme UFX+, Rme 802, Adam A77X, Genelec 8020c, Genelec 7050b, Yamaha HS7

But please don`t copy SSL 360. It`s usability sucks
Windows 7 x64 SP1
Mixbus 32C 7.1.92
(04-11-2023, 10:22 AM)Nathan@Harrison Wrote:
(04-11-2023, 10:15 AM)Sojuzstudio Wrote: Is there a plan to continue Linux support?

why would it go away?

Given the somewhat step-motherly treatment or ignorance many companies have regarding Linux and the fact that Harrison Consoles is what is acquired, I think the concern is valid. I'm making a living from products based on the Linux platform and Ben's phrasing "...On the other hand, for my 'real' audio tasks I use a mac.", and the use of the word immediate doesn't make me feel safe. On the other hand, as a long-time Windows- and Mac user, I have time after time experiencing the uncertainty of these platforms as well, so this is not new. I think that my last 10 years using Linux as a sound engineer and mixer have been the most predictable in my career so far.

This acquirement does not have to be bad, there are examples where acquirements are good for Linux users, and more and more companies and developers are making products that also run on Linux anyway. Given that so many things change quickly (IE. Apple's M1 and M2), developers have to (or should) do all their chops as a platform independent as possible. A good example is Music Tribe, formerly Music Group, which has brands such as Behringer, Klark Teknik, and Midas among others. They openly rely on Linux  and do have Linux versions for their user interfaces for the mixing boards. When companies do not support Linux, it looks to me that it's often because they do not understand the licensing and they are often afraid that they can't make proprietary code for Linux.

Maybe Harrison Consoles will be the one that actually makes Audiotonix's sub-brands more Linux-friendly? I don't know what the future brings and one has to be on the alert no matter the operating system. The Linux platform does for the moment not have the likes of Melodyne and several other nifty and useful programs, but it's getting better and better all the time IMO.
Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox
also concerned about the future of Linux version.
SSL does not have any Linux compatible products, so might unify / „optimize“ things by just discontinuing it.