Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BIG NEWS: Harrison Joins Solid State Logic
Good news. I sure hope there will be new drivers made for the SSL Alpha Link MADI-AX / MadiExtreme hardware! That's what I'm using right now with Harrison on Windows 10. The latest drivers are from 2012...
(04-11-2023, 10:24 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: @Sojuzstudio:  I don't anticipate any immediate changes wrt linux support. We're certainly continuing our developments with the expectation that linux will continue. Personally I'm a huge linux fan and user.  On the other hand, for my 'real' audio tasks I use a mac.

-Ben
@Ben and @Nathan
Nice to hear. Let's hope that things develop in a good direction for everyone. I appreciate your work and hope to see it continue.
Small recordingstudio in Finland countryside. Mixbus 10 Pro, AvLinux AVL-MXe 23.2, Rme UFX+, Rme 802, Adam A77X, Genelec 8020c, Genelec 7050b, Yamaha HS7

This sounds like great news, I was kind of concerned of mixbus would change and be totally different, difficult to contact Ben and talk to him lol and the overall small community here is really unmatched. Sometimes I felt like I was apart of the development team. This is great, mixbus has been really pushing forward and more resources is definitely needed. Can’t wait to see what happens.

I myself do still hope Linux support status strong. I was also wanting another daw from
Harrison that was not 32c based. Would of been nice if it has eq features like the SSL 4000 etc.
but all that aside. This could be really great.
(04-11-2023, 09:25 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: Hello, Mixbus family!

We've got some HUGELY exciting news to share:

Harrison has joined SSL to make a super-group of pro-audio technology!

As you may be aware, SSL are part of the Audiotonix family which also owns pro audio brands Allen & Heath, Calrec, DiGiCo, DiGiGrid, KLANG:technologies, Sound Devices and Slate Digital.

We look forward to serving you, our Mixbus community, with the same passion and pride we've displayed since Mixbus was launched.  With SSL's help, we will be able to deliver on the promises of our DAW platform ... bringing you all the sounds, workflows, and technologies that you've been asking for.  We are very excited about this opportunity to meet and surpass your expectations!

Thanks for your continuing support, and I look forward to your questions and comments via email, our forum, or our social media channels. Happy mixing!

Best Regards,
Ben Loftis
Mixbus Product Manager
Harrison Consoles

Having been part of this business and the pro audio industry since the early 80’s, it feels very apt that we would find our natural home with Solid State Logic and Audiotonix. This alliance provides Harrison a strong future with access to further manufacturing, knowledge in engineering, and expanding our access to new channels and partners which increases our potential to grow this wonderful business. I’m particularly excited for both brands and their customers, as they will all reap the benefits of our sharing of ideas with our SSL colleagues” - Gary Thielman, President, Harrison Consoles

You can read the full press release here:

https://www.solidstatelogic.com/media/us...tate-logic

Perhaps we will finally see SSL UF8/UC1 profiles for Mixbus in v9.2?  Big Grin
MacMini M1 16gb RAM - MacOS 13.6.6 - Apollo silver +  Apollo 16 silver w/Thunderbolt & Satellite OCTO Thunderbolt - SSL UF8/UC1 - Softube Console 1/Fader - UAD v11.2 - Mixbus 10 Pro ARM
I’m def interested to see where this goes. I’ve had great success with Allen and heath mixers live. Have dreamed of owning an SSL board. And thanks to plug-ins get to at least experience emulations of them. And I’ve been using Slate plugins with mixbus for a while. Although v9 did make it to where I’m using much less.

So I’m hoping for a daw that includes Harrison’s summing engine. And maybe an option to swap out Harrison and SSL eq’s. And even slates vmr modules directly in mixbus. And maybe without even using the vmr wrapper. Like I can put the modules before and after other plugins. Like fg-n “pre-amp”, into xt-sc “spectral compressor, into a 32c eq, into a ssl compressor, into fg-revival. That’s probably a little much. But you get the idea. Could be really cool. And totally “in the daw”. It Nothing extra needed. Like even include options for your mixbus comp between Harrison and ssl’s, and the. Built in fg-x2 master limiter. Yeah that would rock.
With a name like SSL in the frame, it's easy to overlook the considerable expertise which resides at Allen & Heath, plus at Calrec.
Both of these companies have an enviable heritage stretching back to the 1960s and I'm sure that good things are going to come from them too.
Exciting times.
(04-11-2023, 11:32 AM)marcusadv Wrote: Perhaps we will finally see SSL UF8/UC1 profiles for Mixbus in v9.2?  Big Grin

+1.  

UF8 integration is already decent with MCU but some kind of proprietary interface that can really leverage the power of the UF8 would be awesome.
(04-11-2023, 10:54 AM)Sojuzstudio Wrote:
(04-11-2023, 10:24 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: @Sojuzstudio:  I don't anticipate any immediate changes wrt linux support. We're certainly continuing our developments with the expectation that linux will continue. Personally I'm a huge linux fan and user.  On the other hand, for my 'real' audio tasks I use a mac.

-Ben
@Ben and @Nathan
Nice to hear. Let's hope that things develop in a good direction for everyone. I appreciate your work and hope to see it continue.

I thinks it's not that easy, Ben and Nathan. What will happen to the Ardour project? It could well be that SSL forks the existing code base and withdraws the Ardour support and partnership.  We Linux users could see a great OSS/Commercial joint venture being destroyed and suddenly there's no modern DAW for Linux around anymore - great victory for all the Linux haters out there in the audio industry and certainly for Redmond and Cupertino.
Wouldn't be the first time that happens.
MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
Congratulations to this deal. It really might bring my preferred DAW a big step further!
However...
(04-11-2023, 10:24 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: I don't anticipate any immediate changes wrt linux support. We're certainly continuing our developments with the expectation that linux will continue. Personally I'm a huge linux fan and user.  On the other hand, for my 'real' audio tasks I use a mac.

-Ben

...any immediate change sounds alarming to me and I would read it as: Sooner or later we will discontinue... 
I had this once with Notator / Logic: After investing a lot of money for all updates the Windows version was discontinued and I could trash all my software.
After that I decided switch to Linux even for music production and never again rely on paid software. However - after installing the demo version I changed my mind because it felt perfect for me. It's still the only payed software I use (but not the only software I pay for) - apart from some plugins.
So I really hope we can delete the 'immediate' from this sentence and maybe as well dream that some SSL plugins will be developed for Linux as well. Unfortunately professional Linux audio software does not suffer from quality but still and only from vendor support! 
And don't forget : Mixbus would not exists at all without Linux!
MB 32C 9.1.324 / Ubuntu 22.04 LTS - KDE / Kernel 5.14.0 / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core / NVIDIA GP108 Driver 390.147 / Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
(04-11-2023, 07:13 PM)Holger Wrote: Congratulations to this deal. It really might bring my preferred DAW a big step further!
However...
(04-11-2023, 10:24 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: I don't anticipate any immediate changes wrt linux support. We're certainly continuing our developments with the expectation that linux will continue. Personally I'm a huge linux fan and user.  On the other hand, for my 'real' audio tasks I use a mac.

-Ben

...any immediate change sounds alarming to me and I would read it as: Sooner or later we will discontinue... 
I had this once with Notator / Logic: After investing a lot of money for all updates the Windows version was discontinued and I could trash all my software.
After that I decided switch to Linux even for music production and never again rely on paid software. However - after installing the demo version I changed my mind because it felt perfect for me. It's still the only payed software I use (but not the only software I pay for) - apart from some plugins.
So I really hope we can delete the 'immediate' from this sentence and maybe as well dream that some SSL plugins will be developed for Linux as well. Unfortunately professional Linux audio software does not suffer from quality but still and only from vendor support! 
And don't forget : Mixbus would not exists at all without Linux!

Spot! On!
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths