Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BIG NEWS: Harrison Joins Solid State Logic
On the other hand, with the Presonus Studio one Linux version, there have started to be rumors that Cubase would also be coming to Linux. Because Stenberg doesn't want to be worse than Presonus.

In addition, concerns about the usability of Apple and Microsoft products for audio production have already been raised, for example, on the RME forum. In addition, Windows possible future monthly fees have worried many.
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php...27#p209327

In addition, Mac and Windows systems are obviously trying to include (by someone's order) monitoring tools with which e.g. security authorities can monitor the contents of your computer. In addition, a law is being prepare at the EU level to ban end-to-end encrypted communication. Linux is free from these things unless Linux is banned worldwide. But good luck with that. I won't list links to these things, because everyone can quickly find them themselves. But long live the Linux!!
Small recordingstudio in Finland countryside. Mixbus 10 Pro, AvLinux AVL-MXe 23.2, Rme UFX+, Rme 802, Adam A77X, Genelec 8020c, Genelec 7050b, Yamaha HS7

(10-26-2023, 10:33 AM)Klaus Wrote: SSL is WIN only ?

Klaus

No they support WIN and macOS
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(10-26-2023, 10:49 AM)Sojuzstudio Wrote: In addition, concerns about the usability of Apple and Microsoft products for audio production have already been raised, for example, on the RME forum.

The only issue I see in the post you have quoted is that macOS is too expensive for the poster, there is nothing there about reduced functionality under macOS.

(10-26-2023, 10:49 AM)Sojuzstudio Wrote: In addition, Mac and Windows systems are obviously trying to include (by someone's order) monitoring tools with which e.g. security authorities can monitor the contents of your computer.

I do know that Apple has refused American courts and police requests to crack open iPhones so sorry but I would need some real information about 'someone's orders' - sounds very grassy knoll to me - if in doubt don't connect to the internet.

(10-26-2023, 10:49 AM)Sojuzstudio Wrote: In addition, a law is being prepare at the EU level to ban end-to-end encrypted communication.

Kind of understandable with organised crime and terrorists using such means to freely communicate.
Personally I'm happy for anybody to listen in to my phone calls - they'd get very bored real quickly Smile
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(10-27-2023, 01:41 AM)Dingo Wrote:
(10-26-2023, 10:49 AM)Sojuzstudio Wrote: In addition, concerns about the usability of Apple and Microsoft products for audio production have already been raised, for example, on the RME forum.

The only issue I see in the post you have quoted is that macOS is too expensive for the poster, there is nothing there about reduced functionality under macOS.

(10-26-2023, 10:49 AM)Sojuzstudio Wrote: In addition, Mac and Windows systems are obviously trying to include (by someone's order) monitoring tools with which e.g. security authorities can monitor the contents of your computer.

I do know that Apple has refused American courts and police requests to crack open iPhones so sorry but I would need some real information about 'someone's orders' - sounds very grassy knoll to me - if in doubt don't connect to the internet.

(10-26-2023, 10:49 AM)Sojuzstudio Wrote: In addition, a law is being prepare at the EU level to ban end-to-end encrypted communication.

Kind of understandable with organised crime and terrorists using such means to freely communicate.
Personally I'm happy for anybody to listen in to my phone calls - they'd get very bored real quickly Smile

As I mentioned, I don't feel like digging up every link to those topics. You can find them on your own if you want to see them.

"Kind of understandable with organised crime and terrorists using such means to freely communicate.
Personally I'm happy for anybody to listen in to my phone calls - they'd get very bored real quickly"

The end result is a world where nothing is private. If that's what you want to live in, then why not.

Linux is good and completely usable for audio work. I hope everything will be fine here in the future.
Small recordingstudio in Finland countryside. Mixbus 10 Pro, AvLinux AVL-MXe 23.2, Rme UFX+, Rme 802, Adam A77X, Genelec 8020c, Genelec 7050b, Yamaha HS7

(04-11-2023, 06:30 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(04-11-2023, 10:54 AM)Sojuzstudio Wrote:
(04-11-2023, 10:24 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: @Sojuzstudio:  I don't anticipate any immediate changes wrt linux support. We're certainly continuing our developments with the expectation that linux will continue. Personally I'm a huge linux fan and user.  On the other hand, for my 'real' audio tasks I use a mac.

-Ben
@Ben and @Nathan
Nice to hear. Let's hope that things develop in a good direction for everyone. I appreciate your work and hope to see it continue.

I thinks it's not that easy, Ben and Nathan. What will happen to the Ardour project? It could well be that SSL forks the existing code base and withdraws the Ardour support and partnership.  We Linux users could see a great OSS/Commercial joint venture being destroyed and suddenly there's no modern DAW for Linux around anymore - great victory for all the Linux haters out there in the audio industry and certainly for Redmond and Cupertino.
Wouldn't be the first time that happens.
MMM

I wrote several paragraphs.

Saw that several quotes were still kept in, instead of the only one that matters for the reply, a statement by Max.

Clicked on Edit -> Full Edit.

The paragraphs I've written are gone, nowhere in sight.

I haven't made a backup copy of the reply I made thinking what could go wrong with this forum software ?

I do not feel like re-typing/re-expressing all that another time right now. I'll see tomorrow,

Cheers.
(04-11-2023, 06:30 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(04-11-2023, 10:54 AM)Sojuzstudio Wrote:
(04-11-2023, 10:24 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: @Sojuzstudio:  I don't anticipate any immediate changes wrt linux support. We're certainly continuing our developments with the expectation that linux will continue. Personally I'm a huge linux fan and user.  On the other hand, for my 'real' audio tasks I use a mac.

-Ben
@Ben and @Nathan
Nice to hear. Let's hope that things develop in a good direction for everyone. I appreciate your work and hope to see it continue.

I thinks it's not that easy, Ben and Nathan. What will happen to the Ardour project? It could well be that SSL forks the existing code base and withdraws the Ardour support and partnership.  We Linux users could see a great OSS/Commercial joint venture being destroyed and suddenly there's no modern DAW for Linux around anymore - great victory for all the Linux haters out there in the audio industry and certainly for Redmond and Cupertino.
Wouldn't be the first time that happens.
MMM

[quote pid="63704" dateline="1681255827"]
REPLY TEXT FOLLOWS.  (Hopefully - it is still framed in a box of some sort, but I keep a copy this time around)

So this time around I will not modify the quoted text - that seems to be a bit too touchy.  And it reminded me that last time I wrote something here (after years of following the forum in its original software form using a regular browser) there was some problem like that.  Apart from having to use a specific browser for the new style of the forum.

ANYWAYS.  Hopefully the text now will be kept.

After the SSL announce I decided to browse the forum, a first in quite some time.  And saw the following from Max, which is what I wanted to add a comment to.

Max wrote :

"We Linux users could see a great OSS/Commercial joint venture being destroyed and suddenly there's no modern DAW for Linux around anymore ..."

This is squarely not reflecting reality as far as professional DAWs native to Linux.  There's Bitwig now going towards its 5.1 release, that runs native Linux since quite some time and is at the professional level.  Many times I have said here through the years that I create using Bitwig and mix using Mixbus32C.

And this is where I went on a tangent to say that mor eor less recently I mentioned to mix engineer Michael White that Melda Production (117 plugins) were bought by Image Line (Fruity Loops DAW).  His comment showed clearly that there are two kinds of DAWs, for two very distinctive groups of users that do not have the same approach at all.

There are DAWs for serious mixing engineers and there are DAWs that cater to creative musical explorations.  Each one has their set of 3rd party plugins.  With the mixing engineer crowd these are 'serious pro' plugins and known as such in the consumer/market space.  For the creative crowd there is an array of plugins that can do 'strange' 'bizarre' things with the audio that would not be welcomed by 'serious' mixing users.  The DAWs themselves are also different.  The 'serious mixing' DAWs are based on hardware metaphors whereas the creative ones are exploring other approaches at creating music (Ableton, Bitwig, for instance) such as using clips and scenes in addition to a 'traditional' track-based recording.

I mentioned this because Mixbus is not the only pro DAW running native in Linux out there, as there is also Bitwig even though it belong to a different category and a different user group.

Cheers.

If this posting fails, I'll simply paste the reply text as a new comment and be done with it.  I'm used to simple forum software such as the one used by KVR (thousands of visitors per day) and this here might be too fancy Smile

[/quote]