Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bass flow plugin now via SSL
(08-30-2023, 04:11 AM)krans Wrote:
(08-29-2023, 10:32 PM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: Mac and Windows will require iLok for new & updated AVA plugins.

Prior AVA Bass Flow customers will be provided with a free iLok license to replace the old license.  That process isn't in place yet, but I think it is just a few days away.

As much as I liked our old license mechanism, it doesn't meet the needs or expectations of many plugin users.  iLok is an established solution, and it allows for things like timed demos and subscriptions that let you use a plugin temporarily for a project.  In the case of our more expensive plugins like the 'Flow' plugins and the MPC Channel,  many customers want to know that they can install a plugin on a studio machine and safely take it with them, when they go.  Our old licenses didn't provide that kind of security.

At the moment, we have no plans to switch Mixbus to iLok. Personally I have no problems with iLok, but I know it's a controversial topic for some of our users.  So far, by providing free iLok replacement licenses, and retaining our old licensing for linux users who can't access iLok,  SSL has made it a really easy transition.

-Ben at Harrison

I doubt that the partnership will make SSL take a turn towards Linux.
I just really hope it won't affect Harrison's Linux friendly attitude!

What could make Harrison insist on releasing a joint SSL/Harrison plugin or suite or whatever for Linux, and not just as an iLok software?
I'm happy the current AVA plugins aren't affected, but I am a bit conserned about the stuff that's under development or will be developed in the future.

You know, Harrison, we love you in the pro audio Linux community. Your Linux support is one of the reasons I can have the workflow I have, use my studio the way I use it.
Please don't get lost for us!

I really hope that Linux will be included in Harrison's future policy!!

As for ILok, there are only terrible experiences with it. It's something, shouldn't exist. It only increases costs for customers. If it breaks, you have to wait a long time for your license to be returned and send the broken stick to the other side of the world. If you don't want to pay annually for a special service that allows you to use your license quickly in the event of a failure.  Legalized extortion. Why is there a third party in between collecting money for the pockets of the few. And you pay for absolutely nothing. You can keep the licenses with you, for example in a safe. I can assure you that that stick always falls apart before long.
Small recordingstudio in Finland countryside. Mixbus 10 Pro, AvLinux AVL-MXe 23.2, Rme UFX+, Rme 802, Adam A77X, Genelec 8020c, Genelec 7050b, Yamaha HS7

I'm very straightforward in my handling. When something needs an iLok I simply won't use it.

So even if there currently are no plans to bind Mixbus itself to an iLok, I will be watching this space closely. If Harrison ever decides to bind Mixbus to an iLok as well, the last version without iLok will be the last version I use.
(08-29-2023, 10:32 PM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: Mac and Windows will require iLok for new & updated AVA plugins.

Prior AVA Bass Flow customers will be provided with a free iLok license to replace the old license.  That process isn't in place yet, but I think it is just a few days away.

As much as I liked our old license mechanism, it doesn't meet the needs or expectations of many plugin users.  iLok is an established solution, and it allows for things like timed demos and subscriptions that let you use a plugin temporarily for a project.  In the case of our more expensive plugins like the 'Flow' plugins and the MPC Channel,  many customers want to know that they can install a plugin on a studio machine and safely take it with them, when they go.  Our old licenses didn't provide that kind of security.

At the moment, we have no plans to switch Mixbus to iLok. Personally I have no problems with iLok, but I know it's a controversial topic for some of our users.  So far, by providing free iLok replacement licenses, and retaining our old licensing for linux users who can't access iLok,  SSL has made it a really easy transition.

-Ben at Harrison

Thanks Ben. iLokification and de-Linuxisation through the backdoor. I will begin freezing the respectively latest Mixbus+XT+AVA+Debian combo and the respective hardware. At the same time I will increase my donations to OSS DAW projects.
People, this is no "partnership" here. Listen to Ben's words closely. He is an employee of SSL now, who have swallowed Harrison.
(Just like my small but fine company was assimilated by an industry giant recently, and the wording about "partnership" and the actual deeds - you do as we say - are absolutely the same).
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
Wink 
i'm very (negatively) surprised by the ilok introduction, and the 'subscription' part.. very well then..
(08-30-2023, 06:16 AM)dspasic Wrote: i'm very (negatively) surprised by the ilok introduction, and the 'subscription' part.. very well then..

Let's see what I wrote on 12th of April this year:
https://forum.harrisonconsoles.com/threa...l#pid63704
Back then we've been assured all will be fine.
Not even 5 months later we see iLok being introduced, new developments likely Win/Mac only - wait for the Ardour fork!
MMM
Edit: Also read this here:
That's exactly how Ben sounded above: no longer an owner but an SSL employee - who has to feed a family, like we all do
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
(08-30-2023, 07:18 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(08-30-2023, 06:16 AM)dspasic Wrote: i'm very (negatively) surprised by the ilok introduction, and the 'subscription' part.. very well then..

Let's see what I wrote on 12th of April this year:
Back then we've been assured all will be fine.
Not even 5 months later we see iLok being introduced, new developments likely Win/Mac only - wait for the Ardour fork!
MMM
Edit: Also read this here:
That's exactly how Ben sounded above: no longer an owner but an SSL employee - who has to feed a family, like we all do

We always have ardour. It can be configured, for example, with ACMT plugins, very close to the Mixbus experience. And possibly Ardour will do some kind of integration with similar things if Harrison completely screws this thing up.

The biggest question here is: Is Harrison/SSL making Mixbus a tool for current SSL customers and throwing current Mixbus customers under the train? So ditch those who were involved in making this great. They asked for new features and funded its development. That is, loyal people. Including Linux people and its community. It's cheating if that happens. And Karma is the kind of thing that handles things like that fairly. But we still hope that good wins here.
Small recordingstudio in Finland countryside. Mixbus 10 Pro, AvLinux AVL-MXe 23.2, Rme UFX+, Rme 802, Adam A77X, Genelec 8020c, Genelec 7050b, Yamaha HS7

There have been no suggestions that we should drop linux support.

The AVA's were always intended for 'other, mainstream' DAWs.  Implementing iLok is a sensible step to make them fit in with competitive products.

Getting our plugins into SSL's distribution channel (which required ilok'ing them) is a huge win for us ...  and now we'll also have the ability to introduce new hardware for Mixbus (!!!)

Personally, I've become freed up to do a lot more development and product planning for Mixbus, which I'm very excited about.  We can finally do a lot of the things that you guys have been asking for.  In the upcoming v9.2 update,  we've already implemented a lot of "bucket list" features that were piling up in the feature-request forum.

Our unique business decision to use ardour and open-source means that Mixbus users can't lose.  All of your prior funding and support has resulted in a better tool that will keep getting better.  And let's not forget that audiotonix/ssl  "bought in" to the business model.  Believe me,  I had to explain it a few times  Smile 

Yes, things are always a little weird during a transition.  But so far it has been very good!

-Ben
(08-30-2023, 07:40 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: There have been no suggestions that we should drop linux support.

The AVA's were always intended for 'other, mainstream' DAWs.  Implementing iLok is a sensible step to make them fit in with competitive products.

Getting our plugins into SSL's distribution channel (which required ilok'ing them) is a huge win for us ...  and now we'll also have the ability to introduce new hardware for Mixbus (!!!)

Personally, I've become freed up to do a lot more development and product planning for Mixbus, which I'm very excited about.  We can finally do a lot of the things that you guys have been asking for.  In the upcoming v9.2 update,  we've already implemented a lot of "bucket list" features that were piling up in the feature-request forum.

Our unique business decision to use ardour and open-source means that Mixbus users can't lose.  All of your prior funding and support has resulted in a better tool that will keep getting better.  And let's not forget that audiotonix/ssl  "bought in" to the business model.  Believe me,  I had to explain it a few times  [Image: smile.gif] 

Yes, things are always a little weird during a transition.  But so far it has been very good!

-Ben

Would it be worth giving an official statement that you intend to continue Linux support in the future as well? Otherwise, everything is drawn in the air. You have to be clear in customer communication, because people and companies plan investments based on what you say officially.

With all due respect

@Sojuzstudio: We were told to continue linux development on all plugins (even new ones) and to keep the prior linux licensing, since iLok didn't exist there. linux development is to continue for Mixbus.

Of course I cannot forsee the future. Frankly, it will largely depend on the linux community. If our linux support isn't appreciated/supported then it will become a lower and lower priority.

Personally, I think it is very important to continue supporting linux because every once in a while, there is a hint that Microsoft or Apple will implement some kind of security or privacy decision that 'wrecks' the computer-audio industry (like: prevent apps from loading binary plugins). Maybe a lot of stuff would move to the cloud in that case....? Whatever happens, we'll be happy that linux is around to fill the gap.

-Ben
(08-30-2023, 07:55 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: @Sojuzstudio:  We were told to continue linux development on all plugins (even new ones) and to keep the prior linux licensing, since iLok didn't exist there.  linux development is to continue for Mixbus.

Of course I cannot forsee the future.  Frankly, it will largely depend on the linux community.  If our linux support isn't appreciated/supported then it will become a lower and lower priority.

Personally, I think it is very important to continue supporting linux because every once in a while, there is a hint that Microsoft or Apple will implement some kind of security or privacy decision that 'wrecks' the computer-audio industry (like:  prevent apps from loading binary plugins).    Maybe a lot of stuff would move to the cloud in that case....?  Whatever happens, we'll be happy that linux is around to fill the gap.

-Ben

Thanks @Ben@Harrison, I can live with that. Wink

Those security and privacy concerns regarding Apple and Microsoft are a very real threat. Many people don't believe in them. I believe this will happen