Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bass flow plugin now via SSL
(08-31-2023, 08:03 AM)marratj Wrote:
(08-31-2023, 07:29 AM)Sojuzstudio Wrote: The user survey 2023 just arrived in the e-mail, which is somewhat informative if you read it between the lines. "Is Ardour co-development important to you?" Or something like that. How many Mac or Windows users are even aware of this? Ardour development cooperation...

I somehow unsubscribed in the past from any Harrison marketing/offer/info mails and cannot find a way to resubscribe. I'd actually like to participate in the user survey.

I think you must contact support email...
Small recordingstudio in Finland countryside. Mixbus 10 Pro, AvLinux AVL-MXe 23.2, Rme UFX+, Rme 802, Adam A77X, Genelec 8020c, Genelec 7050b, Yamaha HS7

(08-30-2023, 05:11 AM)Sojuzstudio Wrote:
(08-30-2023, 04:11 AM)krans Wrote:
(08-29-2023, 10:32 PM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: Mac and Windows will require iLok for new & updated AVA plugins.

Prior AVA Bass Flow customers will be provided with a free iLok license to replace the old license.  That process isn't in place yet, but I think it is just a few days away.

As much as I liked our old license mechanism, it doesn't meet the needs or expectations of many plugin users.  iLok is an established solution, and it allows for things like timed demos and subscriptions that let you use a plugin temporarily for a project.  In the case of our more expensive plugins like the 'Flow' plugins and the MPC Channel,  many customers want to know that they can install a plugin on a studio machine and safely take it with them, when they go.  Our old licenses didn't provide that kind of security.

At the moment, we have no plans to switch Mixbus to iLok. Personally I have no problems with iLok, but I know it's a controversial topic for some of our users.  So far, by providing free iLok replacement licenses, and retaining our old licensing for linux users who can't access iLok,  SSL has made it a really easy transition.

-Ben at Harrison

I doubt that the partnership will make SSL take a turn towards Linux.
I just really hope it won't affect Harrison's Linux friendly attitude!

What could make Harrison insist on releasing a joint SSL/Harrison plugin or suite or whatever for Linux, and not just as an iLok software?
I'm happy the current AVA plugins aren't affected, but I am a bit conserned about the stuff that's under development or will be developed in the future.

You know, Harrison, we love you in the pro audio Linux community. Your Linux support is one of the reasons I can have the workflow I have, use my studio the way I use it.
Please don't get lost for us!

I really hope that Linux will be included in Harrison's future policy!!

As for ILok, there are only terrible experiences with it. It's something, shouldn't exist. It only increases costs for customers. If it breaks, you have to wait a long time for your license to be returned and send the broken stick to the other side of the world. If you don't want to pay annually for a special service that allows you to use your license quickly in the event of a failure.  Legalized extortion. Why is there a third party in between collecting money for the pockets of the few. And you pay for absolutely nothing. You can keep the licenses with you, for example in a safe. I can assure you that that stick always falls apart before long.
Zero Downtime - iLok insurance is very cheap, less than the cost of the plugin offer. Would you not insure your studio against theft and fire? Same thing.

I don't like iLok a lot but I understand the risk to companies with such a "flexible" licensing approach as Harrison's. Sooner or later they're going to tie that one down, and can you blame them? iLok is probably a more cost-effective method than challenge and response or other means. In any case I have a range of software that uses a range of licensing methods, that's the way it is. I also have most of the SSL Native plugins, have had for years. Never an issue with the iLok.
(08-31-2023, 12:58 PM)Scardanelli Wrote:
(08-30-2023, 05:11 AM)Sojuzstudio Wrote:
(08-30-2023, 04:11 AM)krans Wrote:
(08-29-2023, 10:32 PM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: Mac and Windows will require iLok for new & updated AVA plugins.

Prior AVA Bass Flow customers will be provided with a free iLok license to replace the old license.  That process isn't in place yet, but I think it is just a few days away.

As much as I liked our old license mechanism, it doesn't meet the needs or expectations of many plugin users.  iLok is an established solution, and it allows for things like timed demos and subscriptions that let you use a plugin temporarily for a project.  In the case of our more expensive plugins like the 'Flow' plugins and the MPC Channel,  many customers want to know that they can install a plugin on a studio machine and safely take it with them, when they go.  Our old licenses didn't provide that kind of security.

At the moment, we have no plans to switch Mixbus to iLok. Personally I have no problems with iLok, but I know it's a controversial topic for some of our users.  So far, by providing free iLok replacement licenses, and retaining our old licensing for linux users who can't access iLok,  SSL has made it a really easy transition.

-Ben at Harrison

I doubt that the partnership will make SSL take a turn towards Linux.
I just really hope it won't affect Harrison's Linux friendly attitude!

What could make Harrison insist on releasing a joint SSL/Harrison plugin or suite or whatever for Linux, and not just as an iLok software?
I'm happy the current AVA plugins aren't affected, but I am a bit conserned about the stuff that's under development or will be developed in the future.

You know, Harrison, we love you in the pro audio Linux community. Your Linux support is one of the reasons I can have the workflow I have, use my studio the way I use it.
Please don't get lost for us!

I really hope that Linux will be included in Harrison's future policy!!

As for ILok, there are only terrible experiences with it. It's something, shouldn't exist. It only increases costs for customers. If it breaks, you have to wait a long time for your license to be returned and send the broken stick to the other side of the world. If you don't want to pay annually for a special service that allows you to use your license quickly in the event of a failure.  Legalized extortion. Why is there a third party in between collecting money for the pockets of the few. And you pay for absolutely nothing. You can keep the licenses with you, for example in a safe. I can assure you that that stick always falls apart before long.
Zero Downtime - iLok insurance is very cheap, less than the cost of the plugin offer. Would you not insure your studio against theft and fire? Same thing.

I don't like iLok a lot but I understand the risk to companies with such a "flexible" licensing approach as Harrison's. Sooner or later they're going to tie that one down, and can you blame them? iLok is probably a more cost-effective method than challenge and response or other means. In any case I have a range of software that uses a range of licensing methods, that's the way it is. I also have most of the SSL Native plugins, have had for years. Never an issue with the iLok.

I pay for the product in this case from Harrison Consoles. The license is then under my control, I can use it whenever I want. No third-party device or service binds me to anything, and does not prevent the legal use of the service or program. This is not the case when using Ilok in between. There is a third party in between, whose service or device operation I depend on

If the use of this license is prevented because of this third-party problem, I think the situation is not fair. And on top of that, I should pay insurance to this party so that I can always access my own licenses.

This is not a question of money, but of principle.

My studio does have the appropriate insurances in order.

But there is also a possible reputational damage if the session is interrupted by this Ilok malware/program.

I've had 2 iloks break in the past. There are still a couple of working spares in the box. I will never use them again. I can gift them to you if you love them.

There are much smarter ways to handle this than iLok. For example, Melda produtcions licensing system is good and functional, and they can disable copied, stolen or illegally distributed licenses if they wish.
Small recordingstudio in Finland countryside. Mixbus 10 Pro, AvLinux AVL-MXe 23.2, Rme UFX+, Rme 802, Adam A77X, Genelec 8020c, Genelec 7050b, Yamaha HS7

Can someone please please clarify the following:
Situation:
I opt to use an iLok'd plugin on tracks in a mix I've done on Windows in my studio.
I then pack up and send that entire session off to an affiliate studio who uses a Mac.
That other studio has NOT purchased a license for the plugin I've used in the session.
Does that plugin still perform on the session over at the Mac studio?
With current Mixbus plugins the answer is "yes".
Will this be true with iLok plugins?

Cheers!
Patrick
(08-31-2023, 02:25 PM)PBuryk Wrote: Can someone please please clarify the following:
Situation:
I opt to use an iLok'd plugin on tracks in a mix I've done on Windows in my studio.
I then pack up and send that entire session off to an affiliate studio who uses a Mac.
That other studio has NOT purchased a license for the plugin I've used in the session.

Cheers!
Patrick

You can use licenses on any machine to which Ilok is connected. Your licenses are on that stick. The problems come when it stops working. And it's not all durable equipment. But with good luck everything will work out fine. But it would be good to have an option for it and not force it to be used. Sure, it can be used as a cloud service, but then you have to rely on the internet.

Everything would be quite good if Ilok could figure out an immediate license return service in the event of a failure, without an additional price. Now it pays $30/year + new ilok key. That is, half of the Mixbus 32C upgrade fee each year increases costs, to peace of mind.

Sometimes there have also been problems with my device not even recognizing an intact Ilok key. And you have to remember to update the Ilok server from time to time. All extra trouble.

But if that's something you want to do to pass the time. So good then.

https://ilok.com/%23!license-manager#!zdt-coverage

EDIT: Ilok doesn't care if you use MAC or Windows, it and the licenses work on both, as long as it works, if it works. It didn't always work for me. Good luck

(08-31-2023, 02:34 PM)Sojuzstudio Wrote:
(08-31-2023, 02:25 PM)PBuryk Wrote: Can someone please please clarify the following:
Situation:

Cheers!
Patrick

You can use licenses on any machine to which Ilok is connected. Your licenses are on that stick. The problems come when it stops working. And it's not all durable equipment. But with good luck everything will work out fine. But it would be good to have an option for it and not force it to be used. Sure, it can be used as a cloud service, but then you have to rely on the internet.

And that is the issue in my question - the Mac studio would need "an iLok" (dongle) for the plugin to be effective.
But there is also a bit of ambiguity in above answer:
- Say, the Mac studio has an iLok , but for a different plugin, not the one I've used in the mix.
Does my plugin still work there?

Based upon my current knowledge, I presume that if the Mac studio does NOT have an iLok at all then my plugin (again, embedded in the mix) will not work.
But, does the presence of an iLok dongle suffice for "every" iLok'd product used in the session?
Or, does every iLokable product need its own registration code added to the iLok dongle?

Either way, it would be nice, if not expected, that the Mac studio session would allow the use of a plugin that was used properly used (ie, "iLok'd") in the Windows studio.
Just as MB/MB32C do today.

Cheers!
Patrick
Just checking, you all know that you don't need a USB key to use iLok these days ?
You can just have the license on a drive.

And AVA only, xt plugins remain as normal.
(08-31-2023, 02:57 PM)simonzc Wrote: Just checking, you all know that you don't need a USB key to use iLok these days ?

Yes, but then the easy transfer of licenses from one machine to another is lost. And when the hard drive breaks, there is the same recovery problem ahead.

The license can only be in one place at a time, not on many machines, not in many Iloks.

A thought that occurred to me right after I posted my reply, above...

Another way to look at my Windows/Mac studio collaboration issue is this:
- Windows studio uses an iLok'd plugin in a session.
- Windows studio BOUNCES iLok'd tracks to new "fully processed" tracks (ie, commits the plugin processing).
- Windows studio sends session to Mac studio.
- Mac studio continues session, even making changes to it for later return to Windows studio.

Here, the Mac studio DOES NOT need an iLok to work on the session where the plugin has been applied.
So... TECHNICALLY, what is the difference between this approach and one if the plugins processing was NOT committed back at the Windows studio?
If the answer is: "Well, you can simply replicate the plugin to additional tracks, thereby bypassing iLok protection."
The my suggestion is: "So, implement a "copy/no copy" flag in the product. No available iLok, no copy in session."

Cheers!
Patrick
(08-31-2023, 03:01 PM)Sojuzstudio Wrote:
(08-31-2023, 02:57 PM)simonzc Wrote: Just checking, you all know that you don't need a USB key to use iLok these days ?

Yes, but then the easy transfer of licenses from one machine to another is lost. And when the hard drive breaks, there is the same recovery problem ahead.

The license can only be in one place at a time, not on many machines, not in many Iloks.

The AVA series are mostly intended for non Mixbus users.

So the same as any other VST, AU etc plugin from Brainworx, Waves or whoever else ?
If you have other brands in your session they won't work unless your collaborators also have a licenced version.

Most iLok plugins makers allow 2 licences on different machines, some allow 3.

Just use Harrison xt plugs and everything is fine if you want to colab with another Mixbus user.