Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bass flow plugin now via SSL
I don't mean to "jump the gun", but if the new products (eg, expanded Mixing/Editing, Plugins, etc.) are not going to be available for Linux based customers
then I will also be freezing my current Harrison products and not moving forward with the new brand. And I know that will be the case of at least (6) of the other
remote studios I work with on projects; they've all chosen to use Mixbus because of the consistency in the workflow across all three (Mac/Windows/Linux) platforms.
Moreover, if any of our sessions could not be shared, within our "network", because of iLok requirements, that would seriously impact our services.

Therefore, I am, humbly, requesting that SSL/Harrison consider the relationship that Harrison has fostered with its customers and:
1 - Retain Harrison's "simple" licensing for, at least, all future Mixbus products (MB/MB32C/XT/AVA).
2 - Continue to support the Linux platform, again for all Mixbus products.
3 - Consider porting of all new SSL/Mixbus products, such as the newly announced "Flow" products to Linux, again, with "simple" licensing.
    Additionally, and in response to the recent announcement of the Bass Flow availability: Is the "Guitar Flow" also available for Linux? If not, why?

Respectfully Submitted,
Patrick
PBuryk:  I feel very much the same way  (with respect to consistency)  and we've been given a 'mandate' to continue developing for linux, and continue our old licensing mechanism since iLok doesn't exist there.

All of your 3 items are already true,  with the exception of SSL's Guitar plugin;  that is not a Harrison product.  I cannot speak whether SSL will start releasing their products in linux form.  It will largely depend on how supportive/inviting the linux community is  Smile

-Ben
(08-30-2023, 10:00 AM)Ben@ Wrote: It will largely depend on how supportive/inviting the linux community is  Smile

-Ben

If the price is reasonable and the support is professional, the Linux community will support such things. But these products must also be announced as existing. Be featured in these forums like linuxmusicians.com When you listen, you are listened to. And things develop with each other's support.

EDIT:
Of course, there are always narrow-minded people, as in any community, but I believe that the majority are musicians with a positive attitude.
Small recordingstudio in Finland countryside. Mixbus 10 Pro, AvLinux AVL-MXe 23.2, Rme UFX+, Rme 802, Adam A77X, Genelec 8020c, Genelec 7050b, Yamaha HS7

(08-30-2023, 07:55 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: @Sojuzstudio:  We were told to continue linux development on all plugins (even new ones) and to keep the prior linux licensing, since iLok didn't exist there.  linux development is to continue for Mixbus.

Of course I cannot forsee the future.  Frankly, it will largely depend on the linux community.  If our linux support isn't appreciated/supported then it will become a lower and lower priority.

Personally, I think it is very important to continue supporting linux because every once in a while, there is a hint that Microsoft or Apple will implement some kind of security or privacy decision that 'wrecks' the computer-audio industry (like:  prevent apps from loading binary plugins).    Maybe a lot of stuff would move to the cloud in that case....?  Whatever happens, we'll be happy that linux is around to fill the gap.

-Ben

Fingers crossed. As long as Mixbus is developed for Linux and the Ardour coop continues I will remain the "fanboi" I am.
MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
(08-29-2023, 10:32 PM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: Mac and Windows will require iLok for new & updated AVA plugins.

Prior AVA Bass Flow customers will be provided with a free iLok license to replace the old license.  That process isn't in place yet, but I think it is just a few days away.

As much as I liked our old license mechanism, it doesn't meet the needs or expectations of many plugin users.  iLok is an established solution, and it allows for things like timed demos and subscriptions that let you use a plugin temporarily for a project.  In the case of our more expensive plugins like the 'Flow' plugins and the MPC Channel,  many customers want to know that they can install a plugin on a studio machine and safely take it with them, when they go.  Our old licenses didn't provide that kind of security.

At the moment, we have no plans to switch Mixbus to iLok. Personally I have no problems with iLok, but I know it's a controversial topic for some of our users.  So far, by providing free iLok replacement licenses, and retaining our old licensing for linux users who can't access iLok,  SSL has made it a really easy transition.

-Ben at Harrison

iLok may be an established solution - but it is universally hated and in 2023 is clunky (possibly by design) 

iLok charges extra to have a 0 downtime option in case your USB dongle gets corrupted ... 
It's also a pretty terrible solution that if there is an issue - you can't remove a license from a machine that has been corrupted/crashed etc via your online account and have to wait for their tech support to contact the publisher to release a license from a dead machine... 

That is anti-consumer and forces the subscription for the 0 downtime service... 

Plugin Alliance has a far better model that allows you to deregister and register pc's from your account without needing to contact support ... 
e.g. 0 downtime doesn't cost extra with them and nore 

A solution that doesn't punish the people who buy it and reward the people that use a cracked version would be much better. 

Glad this isn't applying to the linux users - but it definitely lowers my trust in where this merger is taking Harrison products.
Allan  Klinbail 

Steam Mastering - www.steam-mastering.com 
Admittedly I've never used iLok so I did a bit of online digging and realised it's made here in the UK by a company called Pace, where - in my younger days - a lot of my R&D friends used to work!!  Back then they were mostly making routers and hard-drive video recorders (i.e. set-top boxes) tho' to be fair to Pace, they'd an excellent reputation back then!

I guess my old mates must've left now...  Big Grin
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
(08-30-2023, 08:03 AM)Sojuzstudio Wrote:
(08-30-2023, 07:55 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: @Sojuzstudio:  We were told to continue linux development on all plugins (even new ones) and to keep the prior linux licensing, since iLok didn't exist there.  linux development is to continue for Mixbus.

Of course I cannot forsee the future.  Frankly, it will largely depend on the linux community.  If our linux support isn't appreciated/supported then it will become a lower and lower priority.

Personally, I think it is very important to continue supporting linux because every once in a while, there is a hint that Microsoft or Apple will implement some kind of security or privacy decision that 'wrecks' the computer-audio industry (like:  prevent apps from loading binary plugins).    Maybe a lot of stuff would move to the cloud in that case....?  Whatever happens, we'll be happy that linux is around to fill the gap.

-Ben

Thanks @Ben@Harrison, I can live with that. Wink

Those security and privacy concerns regarding Apple and Microsoft are a very real threat. Many people don't believe in them. I believe this will happen

The user survey 2023 just arrived in the e-mail, which is somewhat informative if you read it between the lines. "Is Ardour co-development important to you?" Or something like that. How many Mac or Windows users are even aware of this? Ardour development cooperation...
Small recordingstudio in Finland countryside. Mixbus 10 Pro, AvLinux AVL-MXe 23.2, Rme UFX+, Rme 802, Adam A77X, Genelec 8020c, Genelec 7050b, Yamaha HS7

(08-31-2023, 06:28 AM)johne53 Wrote: Admittedly I've never used iLok so I did a bit of online digging and realised it's made here in the UK by a company called Pace, where - in my younger days - a lot of my R&D friends used to work!!  Back then they were mostly making routers and hard-drive video recorders (i.e. set-top boxes) tho' to be fair to Pace, they'd an excellent reputation back then!

I guess my old mates must've left now...  Big Grin

Hopefully they are, because the company's operating model resembles the Russian mafia. Pay or die, you can also fall out of the window if it's open. Big Grin

Hahah  Big Grin ... and I just found out that Pace is apparently based in the US these days  Huh

There must've been some corporate buy-out I guess.
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
(08-31-2023, 07:29 AM)Sojuzstudio Wrote: The user survey 2023 just arrived in the e-mail, which is somewhat informative if you read it between the lines. "Is Ardour co-development important to you?" Or something like that. How many Mac or Windows users are even aware of this? Ardour development cooperation...

I somehow unsubscribed in the past from any Harrison marketing/offer/info mails and cannot find a way to resubscribe. I'd actually like to participate in the user survey.