Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solo channel and mixbus together?
I just scoured the manual and it appears there is no way to do this. I just wanted to listen to an effect which was inserted as a plugin in a mixbus together with a channel which was routed to it so I could hear them together. Am I missing something here?
I'm used to live mixing on a Digico SD10 which has a single/multi solo selector. When it's in single, pressing a different solo will unsolo the first one. In multi, you can listen to any number of solo sources together no matter if they are channels or busses. Very simple and I will add it to the mountain of feature requests if not otherwise possible.
http://www.harrisonconsoles.com/mixbus/m...e-and-solo
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
As I said, I read the manual.
Behaviour I'm seeing:
Solo a channel then solo a mixbus, mixbus is heard but channel is no longer heard although both solo lights show.
Solo a mixbus then solo a channel, mixbus is heard but channel is not heard although both solo lights show.
The mixbus solo overrides the channel solo even though both solo lights show. Not expected behaviour but I was wondering if it's a bug or configuration error.
This is Mixbus 32C 4.3.19 on AVLinux.

On a bright note, I see the "Exclusive Solo" button in the Monitor section gives the single/multi solo selection I asked about in the second half of my original post.
This time-order difference of soloing/muting buses and normal channels is a years old bug or misconcept in the program. It was like that even in mb2.
Solo/mute issue in 32c the 9,10,11,15 buses is even worse,
VCA solo mute if a bus is assigned to selection is also an issue from the first release of VCA.

Maybe only one-two of us wrote about these problems and it has no weight in statistics. I have been waiting long years for the time when "daily mixing practice" will be the main point of view when correcting bugs, not statistics.
The bugs are the same in Ardour5.
I know that the guys work busy to develop MB and thanks for them, but they are driven by a wrong, false selection method when putting the issues in "importance" order to deal with.
I think this is a bug. It has been reported before. I have had it occur randomly at times. Sometimes reloading the project fixes it, sometimes it doesn't and I am stuck with it. I think this first appeared in MB 4.1.
ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 w/AMD FX™-8350 Eight-Core Processor 32GB RAM
M-Audio Delta 1010 / Echo AudioFire 12
Mixbus v7.x on Fedora 33 64bit
(06-15-2018, 12:23 AM)Lexridge Wrote: I think this is a bug. It has been reported before. I have had it occur randomly at times. Sometimes reloading the project fixes it, sometimes it doesn't and I am stuck with it. I think this first appeared in MB 4.1.
I did a search of Ardour Mantis bug tracker and don't see this bug there when searching for bugs with word "solo". Does anyone know if this bug is reported and hiding somewhere else or is it maybe not reported? I haven't tried Ardour to see if the same bug exists.
I haven't reported a bug in Mixbus before. What is the process?

Edit - later the same day. I just started a new session in Ardour 5.12 and added 5 busses. Solo works as expected with audio from both track and buss audible together. So, at least in this test, it looks like a Mixbus issue. Or maybe was an issue in Ardour 4 which is now fixed. I never used Ardour 4.
For me MB 32C 4.319 -
Soloing the tracks only, I can hear the assigned busses. I mute the bus/ses to not hear the effect.
Soloing the bus I only hear the bus whether any tracks are soloed or not.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Win 7-64/Dell Precision Dual Quad 3ghz/20gb-MX v5.3/32C v8.2.170-RME UFX/RME ff800
If you activate the monitor section, there is a button in the upper right corner called "Exclusive solo." It should be called "Inclusive solo" because when activated, soloing an individual channel will also solo all the mixbusses used by that channel. For instance, if you are using a mixbus for parallel compression and another for reverb on a lead vocal track, when you
solo the individual lead vocal channel, those two mixbusses will also be soloed as long as "Exclusive solo" is selected in the monitor section. Hope this helps.[/font]
(06-20-2018, 05:26 PM)onegoodsoundguy Wrote: If you activate the monitor section, there is a button in the upper right corner called "Exclusive solo." It should be called "Inclusive solo" because when activated, soloing an individual channel will also solo all the mixbusses used by that channel. For instance, if you are using a mixbus for parallel compression and another for reverb on a lead vocal track, when you
solo the individual lead vocal channel, those two mixbusses will also be soloed as long as "Exclusive solo" is selected in the monitor section. Hope this helps.[/font]

Wow! Nice discovery dude! I guess it was never a bug after all, but rather a feature. Thanks for the insight onegoodsoundguy. I will test this out later.

(06-19-2018, 11:06 PM)sunrat Wrote: Edit - later the same day. I just started a new session in Ardour 5.12 and added 5 busses. Solo works as expected with audio from both track and buss audible together. So, at least in this test, it looks like a Mixbus issue. Or maybe was an issue in Ardour 4 which is now fixed. I never used Ardour 4.

Just FYI, Mixbus 4.x is actually code based on Ardour 5.x.
ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 w/AMD FX™-8350 Eight-Core Processor 32GB RAM
M-Audio Delta 1010 / Echo AudioFire 12
Mixbus v7.x on Fedora 33 64bit
(06-20-2018, 05:26 PM)onegoodsoundguy Wrote: If you activate the monitor section, there is a button in the upper right corner called "Exclusive solo." It should be called "Inclusive solo" because when activated, soloing an individual channel will also solo all the mixbusses used by that channel. For instance, if you are using a mixbus for parallel compression and another for reverb on a lead vocal track, when you
Err, ok, you must be using a totally different Mixbus from mine. That's not how it works here and also not how it's supposed to work.
The action of the "Exclusive solo" button is to cause each press of a solo button to deactivate any other solo buttons. When "Exclusive solo" is not selected, pressing a solo button will add to any other solo buttons pressed so they can be heard together. This is not the main topic of this thread anyway.

As I wrote earlier, my problem is the mixbus solo buttons override any track solos. Even though the track solo button/s are lit, only the buss solo audio is heard.
A couple of the other posters have said they also experience this incorrect behaviour, so I'd call it a bug.