Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solo channel and mixbus together?
Hi sunrat
Welcome in my special bug-hunter team!
Great sentence of yours I love it: "not how it works here and also not how it's supposed to work." That it is with the solo issue.
It is true for a lot other options that are created in V4 without considering practical mixing work flows.

Yeah, I have seen here a lot of times in the answers that they are given without fully understanding what we really report or write.
Sure these "solutions" are made and given with good will, thanks for them, but, please, try to reproduce the issue before giving them.
Tassy
Bug 
(06-22-2018, 10:16 AM)Tassy Wrote: Hi sunrat
Welcome in my special bug-hunter team!
Great sentence of yours I love it: "not how it works here and also not how it's supposed to work."
That was in response to the other poster about "Exclusive solo" It works as I would expect but not as they described.

Quote:That it is with the solo issue.
It is true for a lot other options that are created in V4 without considering practical mixing work flows.
I can't think of a use case where buss solo should override track solo. They should be audible together.

Quote:Yeah, I have seen here a lot of times in the answers that they are given without fully understanding what we really report or write.
Sure these "solutions" are made and given with good will, thanks for them, but, please, try to reproduce the issue before giving them.
Tassy
I love Mixbus and the Harrison team are great. There's not many softwares where you can get help from the devs directly on a forum, and they've also been generous with email support a couple of times I've needed. I've owned Mixbus for 5 years and 32C for a while too but haven't used it regularly till recently so haven't spotted this bug.
Today I installed 32C on Windows 7, created a new session, imported 30 tracks and the bug exists there too. So it's an issue on Linux and Windows.
Ardour 5.12 doesn't have this issue - it's possible to solo a track and a bus together and hear both.
That's OK sunrat, we clarified the misunderstanding in emailSmile
Solo/mute issue really has been a consistent bug for years if mixbuses are included, also on VCA strips. Hope to be corrected at last in the next MB release
Tassy
My two pence...
In my other DAW, when you select the solo button in the transport section, only the selected track can be heard...then you uncheck this button to stop the process.
In the mixer window the solo buttons are additional, the more you select, the more you heard : channel or mixbus.
Windows 8.1 32bit, SawStudioLite/Mixbus4, Echo Layla 3G.
(06-23-2018, 01:55 AM)Tassy Wrote: ...
Solo/mute issue really has been a consistent bug for years if mixbuses are included, also on VCA strips. Hope to be corrected at last in the next MB release
Upgraded to MB 32c v5 and this is not fixed.
If a solo button is lit, it should be heard ie. channel and buss solo together. Currently buss solo when activated mutes channel solo (even though channel solo is still lit).
Another weird and baffling behaviour is if say I have a buss with an effect, soloing a channel which is routed to that FX buss will make that buss audible as well as the channel soloed. Wrong! The buss should not be heard unless it is also soloed.
Ardour seems to have correct solo behaviour, as well as every hardware mixer I've ever used. I've never seen solo work similar to Mixbus anywhere else and can't imagine any case where it would be better than what is normal.

I'm liking Mixbus 32C a lot and v5 is sweet, particularly the Mix Tools. Please fix this solo bug so I can love it.
" have a buss with an effect, soloing a channel which is routed to that FX buss will make that buss audible as well as the channel soloed. "
It IS the correct behavior for mixing! without selecting the solo on the bus.

We should not kill what is good. But should kill what is foolish like the ironcurtain dragging to see or hide the buses and when unticking to hide I have a useless empty area. It is the most insane solution I have ever met in MB history. Using (seeing) mixbuses in V5 is not a pain it is torture! Show hide busses was fine for 6 years in the earlier versions.
I hope it will be cleaned of from the software for ever. I deleted my V5 versions from my PC as useless.
Tassy
(09-19-2018, 06:48 AM)Tassy Wrote: We should not kill what is good. But should kill what is foolish like the ironcurtain dragging to see or hide the buses and when unticking to hide I have a useless empty area. It is the most insane solution I have ever met in MB history. Using (seeing) mixbuses in V5 is not a pain it is torture! Show hide busses was fine for 6 years in the earlier versions. I hope it will be cleaned of from the software for ever. I deleted my V5 versions from my PC as useless.

What is the problem with hiding/showing mixbusses ? Using my 14-year old monitor I can press 'b' and see all 32C mixbusses if they were dragged beforehand to occupy all the space. Pressing 'b' again hides them and it's back to the tracks

For me this is great not to have the mixbusses always in view. I do not have a 'fancy' 2 or 3 monitor display nor do I think it should be mandatory to use Mixbus32C. So showing/hiding mixbusses is great, as well as showing/hiding VCAs for that matter. More screen estate for mixing, and those are instantly available by pressing 'b' or 'v'.

I rarely use all mixbusses, so in practice I drag only so many of mixbusses that are in use nad use 'b' afterwards. Same with VCAs.

I would like to understand what actually is your problem regarding this as to term Mixbus as being 'useless' so that maybe in the process I would discover another work flow or add to what I'm doing.

Cheers.
When mixbuses are on the screen and you uncheck some on the left list it disapeares but there is an empty space remaining, I the previous versions it was syncronized and the other chennels jumped automatically to fill up the mixer space, now y must find the ede of the panel by cursor and drag left or right and the dragging is so slow or not at all that you must do it more times. it is more than emberrasing. Not bug but poor programming. I do not know how such a mess is not recognized by anyone in Harrison and among users

See all the mixbuses? great! uncheck some on the left list and see what happens. I sure do not want to see the buses I do not use all only the ones I apply and then this "adjusting" the space comes as heel.
So this newly introduced "+" plus marked vertical strip does not do its purpose.
The ticked or unticked left mixbus channels have to be in sync with the area they need to appear. And if it is so then Why the painful dragging built in workaround?
The shortcut to show and hide is OK if works.
No hard feelings just upset like hellSmile
I see what you mean. I agree that tracks should be shown when mixbusses are removed.

But then, how often is that operation done ? Does that make v5 useless ? Really ?

Since mixbusses can be shown/hidden by pressing 'b', all the display space, apart from the master bus, is available for the tracks. This is a huge improvement over past versions that insisted that the hardware model must be taken literally.

The work flow is rather, I find, about adding mixbusses as the mix progresses and the need arises. Each time a mixbusses is added, 'b' is pressed to show them, then the curtain is dragged a little bit to show the new mixbuss and then 'b' is pressed again. Gone. Back to the tracks. Next time there's a need to adjust one mixbuss, 'b' is pressed, all the used mixbusses are shown, adjustments are made to a mixbuss or many, then 'b' is pressed again, gone. Back to the tracks.

Same thing when starting a new mixing session and adding 6 mixbusses at a time. An initial space is made for them by dragging the curtain and that's it.

I do not see much of a problem with that. The vertical curtain is drawn only when a new mixbuss is added to make space for it, and not on a regular basis.
(09-19-2018, 06:48 AM)Tassy Wrote: " have a buss with an effect, soloing a channel which is routed to that FX buss will make that buss audible as well as the channel soloed. "
It IS the correct behavior for mixing! without selecting the solo on the bus.
I absolutely disagree with that, Tassy. Solo means solo, single, unaccompanied, alone (from Free Dictionary). Not adding something extra which may be related. When I solo a channel, I want to hear that channel alone. If I want to hear an FX buss that channel is routed to, it should be by additionally soloing that buss. This can be worked around by additionally muting the buss but that is counterintuitive.
My main issue with solo behaviour is how soloing a buss will actually mute any channels that are soloed at the same time. There's no working around this.

The mixbus view modes issue is not related to this and may be better discussed in a separate thread.