Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Loop issues fixed soon????
(07-17-2017, 02:51 AM)Dingo Wrote:
(07-17-2017, 02:21 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote: what must I do to replicate this? Is it strictly MIDI based?
MMM
Yes midi based (which I am not fluent in)
Repeatable...

Ah ok. Maybe my quick example last night wasn't long enough or I did something "wrong" so it actually worked fine... I'll give it another shot.

MMM
I added a bug report for the looping problem long time ago: http://tracker.ardour.org/view.php?id=6734

I can confirm this with MIDI too. Another annoying thing with MIDI and looping is that the first note of a region is not played at all. Looping in Mixbus/Ardour is really bad and for me a workflow killer too.
(07-16-2017, 07:03 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(07-16-2017, 05:01 PM)Jopol Wrote: Try googling Ardour loop issues.

I did. So it boils down to 2 threads, one in the Ardour forum and one in the bugtracker. The first one is related to MIDI with external Instruments over Jack, the second one is mainly about the reporter having difficulties with the loop as a transport mode and finding out how to loop.
Both issues were addressed by the developers and are taken care of.
All other reports had to do with syncing other applications, Jack and looping - which is admittedly not trivial - with any combination of apps. But this seems not to be your case anyway.
From page 2 on there's no mentioning anymore, just the usual garbage which comes up when the exact search term feathers out. I wouldn' call that a severe well known problem. But I have a problem with generalisations like "everybody knows that" and "every other software does that" etc anyway.

So it boils down to "Jopol has problems with MIDI looping". Maybe x42 can shed some light on this.

MMM

I get more hits than you then.
Must be something wrong with my browser....
(07-17-2017, 05:45 AM)Jopol Wrote: I get more hits than you then.

Big Grin good one Big Grin
I will try again to break looping using Dingo's scenario.

MMM

(07-17-2017, 05:52 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(07-17-2017, 05:45 AM)Jopol Wrote: I get more hits than you then.

Big Grin good one Big Grin
I will try again to break looping using Dingo's scenario.

MMM

Edit: screenshots of googling... sorry, it's just my personality, when I hear "well known screaming shame" I expect the first 10 pages full of it... in this case not even on pg1 every listing is a hit. Nevertheless I will do some more experimenting Smile

I strictly do not use MIDI in Mixbus. Only audio. I use MIDI at the compositional stage, in Bitwig. The mixing stage is focused on mixing only. Naturally, I will not start to fiddle with MIDI in Mixbus just to test this. Looping in my case works very fine and I not only use it, but rely upon it to mix, the latest being 'Oneiric-1' in the signature below. But no MIDI at all.
(07-17-2017, 05:19 AM)rutsch Wrote: I added a bug report for the looping problem long time ago: http://tracker.ardour.org/view.php?id=6734

Thanks for that - for some reason your post just arrived on my screen - everything later in Australia? LOL
Your bug tracker report and the attached session there should make the issue more transparent for everyone willing to test.

MMM
(07-17-2017, 06:25 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(07-17-2017, 05:19 AM)rutsch Wrote: I added a bug report for the looping problem long time ago: http://tracker.ardour.org/view.php?id=6734

Thanks for that - for some reason your post just arrived on my screen - everything later in Australia? LOL
Your bug tracker report and the attached session there should make the issue more transparent for everyone willing to test.

MMM

+1 on that. AND the bug report Smile. Thanks.

And just to be clear, I'm certainly not trying to take away from the work they do at Harrison. The mixer is the best I've ever experienced. I find it beautiful, esthetically, sonically, and every other way you can think of.
Truly unique.
It's just too bad they get guilty by association, or maybe it's a good thing. The wallet dictates the terms.
This item has been on the ToDo list for quite a while. There's a fairly easy workaround that works for some users: use a wider "loop" range so that the loop starts well before the MIDI notes at the start of the loop. For example you can start 2 bars before the desired punch point, and set the loop end 2 bars later. This has the additional benefit of giving you some pre-roll and post-roll for your punch. You can nest the "punch" markers inside the loop markers, so you only record the desired section.

If you think about it, this is the best way to loop MIDI anyway, because MIDI only triggers the notes as they are rolled through. So if there is a long "cymbal crash" on beat 4 of the bar before your loop, you won't hear the decay of the cymbal in your loop, unless you start the loop sooner.

In any case, a fix for this (and similar midi-related timing) is underway. But I don't know which version it will appear in.

Best,
-Ben
Thanks, Ben. This is a good workaround for recording but for jamming I would prefer looping without pre and post-roll. Nice that a fix is on the way.
Any progress regarding this issue?

Find this a huge obstacle in my workflow. Mainly compose with VSTi: s so looping without having to duplicate parts is essential to me.
And that workaround, a wider loop range, simply doesn't cut it for me.