Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lovers of Touchscreens with DAWs
(08-03-2017, 10:40 PM)retro Wrote: Oh, come on. Don't you play guitar or piano or bass or something? You don't have to look at the thing to play it most of the time. You just navigate tons of stuff *without* looking at it. Same thing with physical faders.
The difference is the strings and frets or white keys and black are always in the same place so you know where to go to get a C or D. With faders, they could be at -30 or +10... however one glance is all that the eye needs to know where to go, then you can work by touch feedback from the physical object without looking at it.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
I guess my wording could be better. It's not that I never look. But that I can relax and take my finger off the fader, but keep it close, and when I need to adjust again, I simply put my finger back on the fader without looking. I've yet to be able to do that reliably with a touch screen without looking 99% of the time. My experience with a touchscreen is when riding faders, your fingers have to be in constant contact with the screen. Lift a finger and when you put it back down you might not grab what you expect. Which is more fatiguing.

That all said, I did read about a technology that uses some for of electrical current to make you feel like a flat screen isn't flat. It creates the illusion of shapes. I'm assuming quite small bumps or something. But if that could become a common thing, that could make touch screens much better for this purpose. Not sure how long it will take for that tech to become more widely available. And reliable in general.
(07-08-2017, 06:03 PM)jabney Wrote: In the meantime, you can create a group - by touch - and then move all the faders in the group - by touch (as long as you have a touchscreen).

That is cool. I have never seen the Ashly DigiMix24 before. I do however enjoy being able to move multiple faders at the same time when mixing. Thanks.

I had thought the idea of a single motarized fader would limit things; but the way things work - work well with the single Ashly DigMix24 fader tap.

First 8 channels I/O
First 16 channels direct=1to16
First 24/32 Dante-directed
(08-04-2017, 02:04 PM)jabney Wrote:
(07-08-2017, 06:03 PM)jabney Wrote: In the meantime, you can create a group - by touch - and then move all the faders in the group - by touch (as long as you have a touchscreen).

That is cool. I have never seen the Ashly DigiMix24 before. I do however enjoy being able to move multiple faders at the same time when mixing. Thanks.

I had thought the idea of a single motarized fader would limit things; but the way things work - work well with the single Ashly DigMix24 fader tap.

First 8 channels I/O
First 16 channels direct=1to16
First 24/32 Dante-directed

Thanks for the info. Does the mixer have any transport controls for studio use, or do you just use your computer keyboard to manipulate your DAWs transport controls?