Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lovers of Touchscreens with DAWs
(07-08-2017, 06:03 PM)jabney Wrote: In the meantime, you can create a group - by touch - and then move all the faders in the group - by touch (as long as you have a touchscreen).

Naming the group is required before you use it, and you can use a mouse or a keyboard to name it (1 or 2 or 3, etc. is fine), but you can do it all by touch as well (New' works by touch). And if you need to move only one fader in a group, you can use "Disable All Groups" - move your fader - then "Enable All Groups" - voila!

I've had the chance to use two Single Fader devices: the PreSonus Faderport (mixed feelings about that one) and the Ashly DigiMix24 (love it). You can do a lot with a single machine-controlled fader and a built-in touchscreen - even a 7" screen.

That is cool. I have never seen the Ashly DigiMix24 before. I do however enjoy being able to move multiple faders at the same time when mixing. Thanks.

(07-08-2017, 08:42 PM)Bakhano Wrote:
(07-08-2017, 08:15 AM)rcprod Wrote: If you use a touchscreen for various DAWS share your experiences and your touchscreen/DAW hopes for the future.

I use a 32-inch touchscreen monitor with Studio One - works perfectly well. Probably the best touchscreen support among mainstream DAWS. Since I use Mixbus for mixing only, I prefer to use a regular screen or just don't put my hands on the screen.

I think touchscreens are the clear future because they are the cheapest, most powerful and adaptable controller anyone could come up with.

(07-08-2017, 08:15 AM)rcprod Wrote: **** If you do not like using a touchscreen with a DAW please go elsewhere on this forum since this thread is focused on a positive and constructive conversation regarding the use of touchscreens with DAWs.

Who the f*ck are you to tell people they can only post "positive" comments on the thread's topic? And what sort of f*cking 'conversation' would that be????

I stopped posting on this forum when the moderators sided with people who wanted to silence negative opinions on controllers!!! (The same thing you want...lol...only pushing the opposite side of the controller-vs-touchscreen debate).

Why are some people afraid of honest debate? Grow up!

lol.....easy there big guy. Actually a bit of well disguised sarcasm in my post.....heh, heh. Although I am very interested in this topic and am glad to see some discussion is happening, I was also making a bit of fun of a topic someone had posted where they said that nobody interested in touchscreens should take part in the topic discussion. (something like that anyway) Sorry.....guess I should have made that a little more clear. It just ticked me off when I saw that topic focused on hardware controllers and they were trying to limit the discussion. :-)
(08-01-2017, 09:55 AM)rcprod Wrote: I was also making a bit of fun of a topic someone had posted where they said that nobody interested in touchscreens should take part in the topic discussion.

You got that wrong.
The story is: In the preceding thread about hardware controllers some members couldn't stop themselves boasting around how outdated HW controllers would be and that touchscreens are the real future and therefore our discussion would be futile. That was most annoying while we tried to discuss possible specs and technical feasibility. It actually destroyed the thread.
Only then I opened a new thread and made very clear that this is about *how*, not *if*.
I opened it as follows:

Quote:Hey folks.
I created this thread for those of us who want to discuss dedicated/customised controllers for Harrison Mixbus / Mixbus 32C.

Touch screen afficionados please spare us your opinion, touch screens are no alternative and we are not interested if you think they are the future!

If touchscreens are discussed as a complement to real faders, that's most welcome. But putting faders down and declare them obsolete is not.

Is this really so hard to understand?

MMM Undecided
(08-01-2017, 08:04 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(08-01-2017, 09:55 AM)rcprod Wrote: I was also making a bit of fun of a topic someone had posted where they said that nobody interested in touchscreens should take part in the topic discussion.

You got that wrong.
The story is: In the preceding thread about hardware controllers some members couldn't stop themselves boasting around how outdated HW controllers would be and that touchscreens are the real future and therefore our discussion would be futile. That was most annoying while we tried to discuss possible specs and technical feasibility. It actually destroyed the thread.
Only then I opened a new thread and made very clear that this is about *how*, not *if*.
I opened it as follows:

Quote:Hey folks.
I created this thread for those of us who want to discuss dedicated/customised controllers for Harrison Mixbus / Mixbus 32C.

Touch screen afficionados please spare us your opinion, touch screens are no alternative and we are not interested if you think they are the future!

If touchscreens are discussed as a complement to real faders, that's most welcome. But putting faders down and declare them obsolete is not.

Is this really so hard to understand?

MMM Undecided

"Touch screen afficionados please spare us your opinion, touch screens are no alternative and we are not interested if you think they are the future!"......wtf.....really?..........

There is no way to defend that opener. Who is anyone to say that a touchscreen is no alternative to real faders? It is fine for everyone to post their own opinion, but that's all it is, an opinion. It is not necessarily right or wrong. It was so ridiculous that it inspired me to start this thread.
Before this thread goes spiraling away too, let's get this out in the open.

We are all allowed to have our own ideas and optinions. We are even allowed to express them.

However constantly and repeatedly belittling an idea that you don't agree with, is unnecessary. Feel free to state your opposing opinion. But try to do so in a productive way. And try to understand the other person's side.

Also there's not necessarily "sides". We all have our idea of the "perfect" controller. And I doubt any two of us would agree 100% on features. But if we can discuss this like adults, I bet we can figure out something that would work for all of us.

Lastly the problem (imo) that has plagued these threads so far, has been the failure to realize that posting your opposing idea every chance you get, and telling other people their idea is wrong, without adding anything productive isn't necessary. Especially when it's done ad nauseam. After a time or two it's understood that you disagree. No need to beat a dead horse.

So hopefully now we can get back to the point of this thread. Where were we....
(08-01-2017, 08:54 PM)rcprod Wrote: There is no way to defend that opener. Who is anyone to say that a touchscreen is no alternative to real faders? It is fine for everyone to post their own opinion, but that's all it is, an opinion. It is not necessarily right or wrong. It was so ridiculous that it inspired me to start this thread.

No worries man, I know now where you come from and that you perhaps haven't showed some respect to read what lead to this. You also didn't cite the first sentence. So you are out of context. Thanks for calling me ridiculous btw.
To people who want faders, touch screens *are* no alternative and it's pointless to praise touch screens over and over in a thread about faders. Some fanatics did. The equivalent would be to praise the advantages of physical faders in your thread, even when politely told that this is not the topic.

Can we now go about our business? I'm tired of this.

MMM

P.S. I could have written "no alternative to us fader people". I'm a very logical person and implied this because I addressed the audience before.
(08-02-2017, 01:34 AM)Bakhano Wrote:
(08-01-2017, 10:05 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(08-01-2017, 08:54 PM)rcprod Wrote: There is no way to defend that opener. Who is anyone to say that a touchscreen is no alternative to real faders? It is fine for everyone to post their own opinion, but that's all it is, an opinion. It is not necessarily right or wrong. It was so ridiculous that it inspired me to start this thread.

No worries man, I know now where you come from and that you perhaps haven't showed some respect to read what lead to this. You also didn't cite the first sentence. So you are out of context. Thanks for calling me ridiculous btw.
To people who want faders, touch screens *are* no alternative and it's pointless to praise touch screens over and over in a thread about faders. Some fanatics did. The equivalent would be to praise the advantages of physical faders in your thread, even when politely told that this is not the topic.

MMM

P.S. I could have written "no alternative to us fader people". I'm a very logical person and implied this because I addressed the audience before.

Can you be man enough and have enough integrity to admit you were wrong? The guy quoted the part in your post that proves your real intentions (to suppress dissenting opinions) on that thread.

What a dishonest pos...
I see.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
(08-01-2017, 09:21 PM)Matt Wrote: Before this thread goes spiraling away too, let's get this out in the open.

We are all allowed to have our own ideas and optinions. We are even allowed to express them.

However constantly and repeatedly belittling an idea that you don't agree with, is unnecessary. Feel free to state your opposing opinion. But try to do so in a productive way. And try to understand the other person's side.

Also there's not necessarily "sides". We all have our idea of the "perfect" controller. And I doubt any two of us would agree 100% on features. But if we can discuss this like adults, I bet we can figure out something that would work for all of us.

Lastly the problem (imo) that has plagued these threads so far, has been the failure to realize that posting your opposing idea every chance you get, and telling other people their idea is wrong, without adding anything productive isn't necessary. Especially when it's done ad nauseam. After a time or two it's understood that you disagree. No need to beat a dead horse.

So hopefully now we can get back to the point of this thread. Where were we....

Sounds good Matt. Cheers!

Wonder how much programming it would take to add the touch capability to the faders in Mixbus 32C? I hope Harrison makes it a priority. :-)
Forgive my ignorance but isn't a touch screen really just an elaborate mouse? i.e. it sends positional information and touch information to the operating system which then routes it to the relevant underlying application? I'm saying "elaborate" because a touch screen can presumably send at least two pairs of touch co-ordinates (e.g. to facilitate zooming) whereas a mouse usually deals with only one pair of co-ordinates.
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
(08-02-2017, 01:41 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(08-02-2017, 01:34 AM)Bakhano Wrote:
(08-01-2017, 10:05 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote:

MMM

Can you be man enough and have enough integrity to admit you were wrong? The guy quoted the part in your post that proves your real intentions (to suppress dissenting opinions) on that thread.

What a dishonest pos...
I see.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

So now that I had some time to look it all up I want to add:
Yes Bakhano. I'm man enough to stand my ground and you, Sir, have been destroying the thread I mentioned before with your permanent insisting that touch screens would be the rescue of the world. Now talk about dishonesty and "how is anyone to say".
My aim was entirely to keep posts like the ones you dropped earlier out of this new thread.
I am sincerely trying to gather people for an exciting project. A project where every participant can learn a lot about technology, design, hardware, software... and in the end we may end up with a kit.
Do you understand that comments like the ones you dropped earlier are simply annoying, unnecessary and totally OT?
So now you can shout out again how dishonest I am - I do not waste any more time with you.

MMM
(08-02-2017, 07:59 AM)johne53 Wrote: Forgive my ignorance but isn't a touch screen really just an elaborate mouse? i.e. it sends positional information and touch information to the operating system which then routes it to the relevant underlying application? I'm saying "elaborate" because a touch screen can presumably send at least two pairs of touch co-ordinates (e.g. to facilitate zooming) whereas a mouse usually deals with only one pair of co-ordinates.

Interesting point. By implication, would it therefor be possible to make the OS "see" the touchscreen as a mouse if the touchscreen sends its information using the same protocol that a mouse does? Therefore no additional development implementation is required. Is this what you are saying?

Bear in mind that the mouse does also have left button / right button / scroll functions