Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lovers of Touchscreens with DAWs
(07-12-2017, 11:25 PM)brucerothwell Wrote: I have my 42" touchscreen mounted at a 25 degree angle, not unlike a real console.

My touchscreen has a 1/8" piece of tempered glass sitting on it, within the bezel of the frame, not on top of the frame, which greatly increases the accuracy.

When I adjust a fader or knob, I literally put my finger on the glass and move my finger.

Works great.

The only thing between me and the console (the DAW softrware) is the glass.

Very Star Trek.

Thanks! Would you be prepared to share a few photos? Or even a video? Would love to see it in action.
(07-12-2017, 11:25 PM)brucerothwell Wrote: My touchscreen has a 1/8" piece of tempered glass sitting on it, within the bezel of the frame, not on top of the frame, which greatly increases the accuracy.

When I adjust a fader or knob, I literally put my finger on the glass and move my finger.

Works great.

Very Star Trek.

I don't get it. If you put glass over the touchscreen, how does it still work? Don't you have to touch a touchscreen?
(07-17-2017, 08:36 AM)retro Wrote: I don't get it. If you put glass over the touchscreen, how does it still work? Don't you have to touch a touchscreen?

Works capacitive.
MM
Okay, I'm amazed. But why would that increase accuracy over finger contact with the touchscreen itself?
(07-16-2017, 02:56 PM)Owlmerlyn Wrote:
(07-12-2017, 11:25 PM)brucerothwell Wrote: I have my 42" touchscreen mounted at a 25 degree angle, not unlike a real console.

My touchscreen has a 1/8" piece of tempered glass sitting on it, within the bezel of the frame, not on top of the frame, which greatly increases the accuracy.

Works great.

Very Star Trek.

Thanks! Would you be prepared to share a few photos? Or even a video? Would love to see it in action.

Sure. I'll get something posted soon.

(07-17-2017, 08:36 AM)retro Wrote:
(07-12-2017, 11:25 PM)brucerothwell Wrote: My touchscreen has a 1/8" piece of tempered glass sitting on it, within the bezel of the frame, not on top of the frame, which greatly increases the accuracy.

Works great.

Very Star Trek.

I don't get it. If you put glass over the touchscreen, how does it still work? Don't you have to touch a touchscreen?

You are thinking of a capacitive touchscreen.

Mine is an IR (infra-red) touch screen, and when you place you finger on the screen, or the glass on the screen, you are breaking the beams that shoot from side to side and top to bottom.

IR is what the Slate Raven MTX is based on, and also the original MTI.

(07-16-2017, 02:56 PM)Owlmerlyn Wrote:

Works great.

Very Star Trek.

Sure. I'll get something posted soon.
(07-22-2017, 11:55 PM)brucerothwell Wrote: You are thinking of a capacitive touchscreen.

Mine is an IR (infra-red) touch screen, and when you place you finger on the screen, or the glass on the screen, you are breaking the beams that shoot from side to side and top to bottom.

Aha. How accurate is it? I maintain a smart screen at one of my customers, it works with IR, too, and I'm not unimpressed Smile
You can even buy the IR transceiver ans the reflectors and can make any flat surface "touchable".

MMM

Works great.

Why does the addition of the glass improve accuracy, do you think?
(07-22-2017, 11:55 PM)brucerothwell Wrote: Sure. I'll get something posted soon.

Awesome!
I've been wanting multitouch faders and touch friendly gestures ever since I've used Mixbus 32c. The software is crying out it IMO.
I hate laptops, I hate touchpads. I have a desktop for audio stuff, I really like the precision of mousing. So, if I couldn't have a desktop (and they sort of look like they're disappearing), I'd want a touchscreen. In another couple of years, they're probably going to be prevalent.