Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lovers of Touchscreens with DAWs
Hello.

If you use a touchscreen for various DAWS share your experiences and your touchscreen/DAW hopes for the future.

**** If you do not like using a touchscreen with a DAW please go elsewhere on this forum since this thread is focused on a positive and constructive conversation regarding the use of touchscreens with DAWs. Thank You.

I use an Acer 27" touchscreen with DTouch and Cubase. It is a good combination. I am also experimenting with Mixbus 32C. I would love to see Harrison implement touch ability for at least the faders of Mixbus. On the positive side, the Mixbus interface would not have to be customized with regards to size since the size of the interface can already be adjusted to suit ones needs.
In the meantime, you can create a group - by touch - and then move all the faders in the group - by touch (as long as you have a touchscreen).

Naming the group is required before you use it, and you can use a mouse or a keyboard to name it (1 or 2 or 3, etc. is fine), but you can do it all by touch as well (New' works by touch). And if you need to move only one fader in a group, you can use "Disable All Groups" - move your fader - then "Enable All Groups" - voila!

I've had the chance to use two Single Fader devices: the PreSonus Faderport (mixed feelings about that one) and the Ashly DigiMix24 (love it). You can do a lot with a single machine-controlled fader and a built-in touchscreen - even a 7" screen.
(07-08-2017, 08:42 PM)Bakhano Wrote:
(07-08-2017, 08:15 AM)rcprod Wrote: **** If you do not like using a touchscreen with a DAW please go elsewhere on this forum since this thread is focused on a positive and constructive conversation regarding the use of touchscreens with DAWs.

Who the f*ck are you to tell people they can only post "positive" comments on the thread's topic? And what sort of f*cking 'conversation' would that be????

I'm new here, but, your comment seams a bit of a knee jerk reaction, no? I don't think the OP was trying to limit the conversation to positive comments only. I think the intent was to ask that it not become a touch screen pro / con debate. Rather than argue the merits of touch screen technology, I think the OP wants to discus it's use. He asked that those who don't like touch screens not comment so as to limit the arguing of whether it should be used or not.

But what do I know. . . I'll just show myself out, no need to reply.
(07-10-2017, 11:11 PM)jbyrnes Wrote: But what do I know. . . I'll just show myself out, no need to reply.

You're right, and I agree with you. But Bakhano's all tender because of a similar thread (look for the two threads on dedicated controllers if you want to see what happened) that sort of went off-topic. It's a bulletin board on the internet. Herding cats.
(07-08-2017, 08:15 AM)rcprod Wrote: I would love to see Harrison implement touch ability for at least the faders of Mixbus.

Shouldn't you be able to do everything you usually do with your mouse, only just with your fingers on the screen? In my eyes that would be the greatest advantage: you get something instantly, connect a touch screen, start working.
I installed a smartboard for a company a few weeks ago and that's exactly how it worked.

MMM
I'm considering buying a 32 inch monitor and in some ways. a touch screen model does appeal to me.

BUT... the big drawback with them seems to be resolution. A 32 inch monitor should easily be viewable at 4k resolution (3840x2160). But up to now, I haven't found any 32 inch touch screen that even comes close to 4k. Mostly they seem to be around half that resolution (1920x1080).

Am I just not looking hard enough..?
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
I am definitely a "faders man". However my intent is not to start an argument but rather get some input. For you touch-screeners... how do you position a touch screen so it is easy to work with? And does hovering your hand over a screen to touch it lightly not cause strain on your hands? Thanks.
(07-08-2017, 08:42 PM)Bakhano Wrote: Who the f*ck are you to tell people they can only post "positive" comments on the thread's topic? And what sort of f*cking 'conversation' would that be????

I stopped posting on this forum when the moderators sided with people who wanted to silence negative opinions on controllers!!! (The same thing you want...lol...only pushing the opposite side of the controller-vs-touchscreen debate).

Why are some people afraid of honest debate? Grow up!

The OP was being sarcasstic, me thinks, because there is another similar thread, but about hardware controllers, and the OP made the same kind of statement.

In reality, I say please feel free to speak your mind, but it is a good idea to be kind-hearted, of course.

(07-11-2017, 02:09 PM)Owlmerlyn Wrote: I am definitely a "faders man". However my intent is not to start an argument but rather get some input. For you touch-screeners... how do you position a touch screen so it is easy to work with? And does hovering your hand over a screen to touch it lightly not cause strain on your hands? Thanks.

I have my 42" touchscreen mounted at a 25 degree angle, not unlike a real console.

My touchscreen has a 1/8" piece of tempered glass sitting on it, within the bezel of the frame, not on top of the frame, which greatly increases the accuracy.

When I adjust a fader or knob, I literally put my finger on the glass and move my finger.

Works great.

The only thing between me and the console (the DAW softrware) is the glass.

Very Star Trek.
(07-12-2017, 11:25 PM)brucerothwell Wrote: The OP was being sarcasstic, me thinks, because there is another similar thread, but about hardware controllers, and the OP made the same kind of statement.

Or he wanted to avoid people chiming in and saying this thread is irrelevant. With "positive" he could have meant he wants a constructive discussion about *touchscreens* and not being told that touchscreens are rubbish and no-one would want/build them and then praise something else instead as the non-plus-ultra. The main persons who did that in the former controller thread have showed up here and referred already, which means that my remark then was placed well.
To say something about touch screens: I will add one soon - on the side, for plugins and synths and to draw Jack connections. That's what I personally find they are ideal for.
MMM
Does daws in iPad count? Cuz it's pretty neat working in Auria on that one Smile