Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Icon Qcon Pro X and Mixbus 32C thread
As a Faderport 8 user I am keeping my eye on this thread. I can confirm that using FP8 in "Studio One" mode is definitely the preferred way of working, and gives a huge amount of functionality in 32C 4.1 as Harrison did a lot of work in this regard. I should imagine the situation would be similar for the Qcon and that putting the Qcon in "Studio One" mode would be best.

I am surprised, though, that you mention MCU because if you are using the QCon in Studio One mode then you won't be using the MCU protocol but rather the S1 protocol... unless I am missing something?? Also, is there an "Effects" button on the Qcon? On the FP8 the "Effects" button gives you access to both VST's and the onboard eq and compression, including being able to by-pass and automatically switch on the eq. If you are in S1 mode on the Qcon I would imagine you should get the same functionality from an "Effects" button...?

The FP8 also crashes every now and again with my meters turned on (so I usually keep them off) and moving the FP8 connection between USB 2 and 3 does seem to make a difference in terms of stability
(08-29-2017, 12:31 PM)StuartHarrison Wrote: Have any of you had crashes whilst mixing on the Pro X on Mixbus?

I twice had the faders stop responding on touch and mixbus froze completely when I tried to restart it.

Trying it on mixbus 4.1 and plugging into my pc's USB 3 port seems to have stabilised it.

Unfortunately I have not had the chance to fully test the Pro X with 4.1. The only times that I ever had a crash was when toggling a buss send on/off on bus numbers higher than the total number of tracks on versions 3.7 and 4.0.

(08-30-2017, 10:01 AM)Owlmerlyn Wrote: I am surprised, though, that you mention MCU because if you are using the QCon in Studio One mode then you won't be using the MCU protocol but rather the S1 protocol... unless I am missing something?? Also, is there an "Effects" button on the Qcon? On the FP8 the "Effects" button gives you access to both VST's and the onboard eq and compression, including being able to by-pass and automatically switch on the eq. If you are in S1 mode on the Qcon I would imagine you should get the same functionality from an "Effects" button...?

MCU is the communication protocol, but many control surfaces will have different modes that change what functions are mapped to the various buttons.

As of 3.7 (and 4.0 I believe), the FX button selects EQ mode, Instrument selects the compressor (which I've remapped elsewhere). There was no control of VST plugins. Hopefully I'll get a chance to play with 4.1 soon!
(08-30-2017, 11:34 AM)superb Wrote: MCU is the communication protocol, but many control surfaces will have different modes that change what functions are mapped to the various buttons.

As of 3.7 (and 4.0 I believe), the FX button selects EQ mode, Instrument selects the compressor (which I've remapped elsewhere). There was no control of VST plugins. Hopefully I'll get a chance to play with 4.1 soon!

Sorry, not necessarily thinking straight. I forgot that you would probably have chosen the MCU option to communicate with the QCon. As a matter of interest, is it possible to select the Faderport 8 option in 32C? If the QCon is in S1 mode then maybe 32C might treat it the same as FP8 in S1 mode. Just surmising..

Having said all of that, a lot of these upgrades were implemented in 4.1 so you would probably have to upgrade to get the full benefit. Perhaps a good time to try the 4.1 demo?
(08-31-2017, 05:18 AM)Owlmerlyn Wrote:
(08-30-2017, 11:34 AM)superb Wrote: MCU is the communication protocol, but many control surfaces will have different modes that change what functions are mapped to the various buttons.

Sorry, not necessarily thinking straight. I forgot that you would probably have chosen the MCU option to communicate with the QCon. As a matter of interest, is it possible to select the Faderport 8 option in 32C? If the QCon is in S1 mode then maybe 32C might treat it the same as FP8 in S1 mode. Just surmising..

Having said all of that, a lot of these upgrades were implemented in 4.1 so you would probably have to upgrade to get the full benefit. Perhaps a good time to try the 4.1 demo?

I've installed it already but have been so busy with work/travel that I've not had a chance to play with it it! Hopefully that will change soon!