Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Icon Qcon Pro X and Mixbus 32C thread
Updated 4/1/2017I've found that with a little work, "Studio One" mode on the Qcon Pro X can offer better functionality inside of Mixbus (and the faders have their full range!). The details of how to set everything up can be found in this post.

Updated 3/27/2017In "Logic Pro" mode, the Pro X faders will only go to +3.6dB. If a fader in MB is moved with the mouse (or another control surface) beyond +3.6, the fader for that channel on the Pro X will move to -inf and then come up slightly as the fader on screen is moved with the mouse towards +6dB. This seems to have something to do with the Logic Pro implementation on the Pro X. Other DAW modes on the Pro X will go to +6dB but with limited functionality in other areas when used with MB. For the time being it seems that Logic Pro mode on the Pro X and Qcon mode in MB are still the best combination.

Updated 3/23/2017: After spending some time with this unit I've discovered that while this control surface supports USB3, I've found plugging into a USB 2.0 port to be much more stable with my particular PC. I do not know if this is a PC problem or Icon's USB3 implementaiton. Also, more often than not, the "Undo" button caused MB to crash although sometimes it actually does undo... (trying to remember not to use it for now...)

Original post:
While shopping for a control surface, there was not a lot of info for the Qcon Pro X mainly (I think) because it is a relatively new model. And I could only find one reference on the MB forum of somebody who was considering it but no confirmed mixbus users using this control surface.

With its good looks, meter bridge, dual displays and rugged controls, it seemed like it could be the best bang for the buck once you step beyond Behringer X-Touch territory. I ordered an “open-box, supposedly like new” unit. Unfortunately it arrived with some cosmetic damge that I could not live with, so I returned it and a new one will be here soon. But before I boxed it back up., I spent some time to see how compatible this control surface is with Mixbus 32C.

I’m using Mixbus 32C 3.7, the Qcon Pro X has firmware version 1.08. Mixbus has a “Qcon” option. The Qcon Pro X is in “Logic Pro” mode and using the Logic Pro button overlay.

I’m relatively new to the whole Mackie control thing. What is below are my observations and some opinion based on my expectations of how everything should work, without knowing the limits of the Mackie control protocol itself , the Qcon Pro X or Mixbus 32C.

What works

Transport, faders, channel meters, Rec Arm, Mute, Solo, Selct, Jog wheel, Arrows, Zoom, Scrub, Bank Selection, Global View, Audio Tracks only, Mixbusses only, Hidden Tracks only, Selected track only, Marker, click.

Track names are displayed but limited to 6 chracters.

Compressor
Compressor section is adjustable on all tracks except Master. All compressor settings are displayed. Inst button displays compressor settings for the selected track

Sends

Sends 1-8 are available. I could not figure out how to access bus sends 9-12.

Flip button allows adjustment of send levels but is limited to a maximum gain of +6.6dB when using the faders to set levels. Pushing the knob enables/disables respective send.

EQ

The EQ will not automatically switch on when a control is adjusted on the Qcon Pro X like it would if you adjusted the control using a mouse. You have to manually enable the EQ using the mouse.

EQ values are displayed from 0 to 1 in increments of 0.1, 64 rotary clicks from min value to max value.

The HPF/LPF on/off and frequency can be accessed by accessing the compressor section (“Inst.” button)

Pan
The pan controls ranged from -90 to +90. When adjusitng for center, the closest two values were -4.7 (I thnk) and +1.4. Pressing the knob did not center the control at zero.

Mixbuses

EQ parameters are not adjustable
EQ on/off is functional

Master
Master fader on Qcon Pro X controls the monitor section output level and has no effect on actual master fader level.

Master meter is not working, likely related to the fact that the Master fader is controlling the monitor level instead of the Mixbus master fader.

Functions
F2 – Mixer view shows all tracks – audio, midi, aux, mixbuses
F3 – Audio Tracks only
F6 – Mixbuses only
F7 – Hidden tracks only
F8 – selected track only
“Drop” starts an endless range on the selected track(s) from the play head position
“Replace” - ends the range at play head position

Automation
“Group” turns automation off for the selected track.
Read/Off is play automation - I could not toggle automation on/off with multiple button presses.
Write is Write
Latch and Trim have no function in Mixbus at this time

Whats not working (or not working how I’d expect it to work...)

There is no space between measure number and beat number for example in the time dislay.

Track visibiliy on the Qcon Pro X is tied to the visibility in the Editor – should be to the Mixer view.

Mixbus mixer does not automatically scroll to selected track/bank
^Updated original post^
(03-15-2017, 09:58 PM)superb Wrote: Updated 3/23/2017: After spending some time with this unit I've discovered that while this control surface supports USB3, I've found plugging into a USB 2.0 port to be much more stable with my particular PC. I do not know if this is a PC problem or Icon's USB3 implementaiton. Also, more often than not, the "Undo" button caused MB to crash although sometimes it actually does undo... (trying to remember not to use it for now...)

I loaded the MB 4 demo the other night and it appears that the pan center at "0" and mixer scrolling dependent on track selection are now possible, awaiting for 32C V4 to be released, but I'd expect the functionality to be the same.

Original post:
While shopping for a control surface, there was not a lot of info for the Qcon Pro X mainly (I think) because it is a relatively new model. And I could only find one reference on the MB forum of somebody who was considering it but no confirmed mixbus users using this control surface.

With its good looks, meter bridge, dual displays and rugged controls, it seemed like it could be the best bang for the buck once you step beyond Behringer X-Touch territory. I ordered an “open-box, supposedly like new” unit. Unfortunately it arrived with some cosmetic damge that I could not live with, so I returned it and a new one will be here soon. But before I boxed it back up., I spent some time to see how compatible this control surface is with Mixbus 32C.

Thanks for your time on this. I am considering this unit as well.
(03-27-2017, 04:20 PM)tedma Wrote: Thanks for your time on this. I am considering this unit as well.

You're welcome. All of these years of easily finding reviews and product info.. looks like I got to be one of the guinea pigs for this time.

Overall I am very happy with it. There are a few quirks being that there isn't full support by Harrison or Icon (yet, hopefully someday) , but to me they are minor considering the quality of the product and the functionality gained. I am hopeful that these minor inconveniences will be ironed out in the future.
I've been waiting to hear back from Icon regarding the faders on going to +3.6dB.

In the meantime, I've come up with a better solution. If I run the Qcon Pro X is "Studio One" mode (and use the Studio One overlay), not only do I get the correct fader range, but also the rotary encoder LED's light up in a way that is actually meaningful - they will show actual knob position.

The down side is that there were a few buttons not available - Manual (Automation), Inst. (Accesses the MB compressor), and Click. Fortunately I was able to re-map some of the keys using Bome MIDI translator Classic Edition which is free.

I have mapped Latch=Manual, FX=EQ, Plug-IN=Compressor, Auto-Punch=Click. Another benefit to this method is that I get the "Global View" set of buttons to quickly change which type of tracks are currently displayed on the Qcon. Logic Mode has this if you press">>" but you lose the use of the function keys in this mode because they are used for all of the different mixer display modes. Attached is my Bome MIDI translator map. Select the Icon as the MIDI input to Bome. Select the Bome Virtual output as the output device for the Bome MIDI translator. This output needs to be selected for the Mackie control in inside of Mixbus.

Attached Files
.zip   Qcon_Studio_One_for_MB.zip (Size: 347 bytes / Downloads: 18)
(04-01-2017, 07:56 PM)superb Wrote: I've been waiting to hear back from Icon regarding the faders on going to +3.6dB.

In the meantime, I've come up with a better solution. If I run the Qcon Pro X is "Studio One" mode (and use the Studio One overlay), not only do I get the correct fader range, but also the rotary encoder LED's light up in a way that is actually meaningful - they will show actual knob position.

I wonder if now that MBus 4 (MBus 32c4 tomorrow) have fairly deep compatibility with Presonus Fader Port 8, if using the Qcon Pro X in Studio One mode is even more functional now. Have you tried it with MixBus 4 yet?

I like the Faderport8, but want more faders for busses. Presonus are not planning any expanders AFAIK...

Ted
Currently the functionality is the same except that now the Mixbus eq's are now accessible on the qcon. Ideally I wouldn't need to use studio one mode and a third party app to remap a few buttons, but despite this, I am very happy with using the pro x with Mixbus.

There is an issue with toggling busses on/off that are higher in number than the number of tracks in a session - for example if you attempt to toggle bus 7 in a 6 track session, this will cause a crash. I believe this is more of a Mixbus MCU implementation problem and not the Qcon. I have notified Harrison and expect that this issue will be corrected some time in the future.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
(04-30-2017, 04:56 PM)superb Wrote: Currently the functionality is the same except that now the Mixbus eq's are now accessible on the qcon. Ideally I wouldn't need to use studio one mode and a third party app to remap a few buttons, but despite this, I am very happy with using the pro x with Mixbus.

There is an issue with toggling busses on/off that are higher in number than the number of tracks in a session - for example if you attempt to toggle bus 7 in a 6 track session, this will cause a crash. I believe this is more of a Mixbus MCU implementation problem and not the Qcon. I have notified Harrison and expect that this issue will be corrected some time in the future.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

OK good - thanks for the quick response : )
Does anybody know how to work with the qcon pro X imap software?

i tried to do some editing. i operated as described in the manual. I power on my qcon, launch the imap software, push connect, select the qcon prox as midi output device. i changed the assignment of 1 button, click the send button, the information window which opens says "done"

but there is no change on the qcon ProX, still uses the original mapping.

what am i missing?

i'am new to mixbus 32c just checking it out, i found that using samplitude mode on the qcon you get working timecode too, but compressor access button is missing. it works with the Bome MIDI translator Classic Edition Studio one settings from above. but theoretically i should be able to do this changes with the imap software as well.
Windows 11, 64 GB Ram, AMD Ryzen 3900XT, Nvidia 2700 Super 8 Gb,
Focusrite Clarett 4Pre USB.

Ableton Live, Mixbus 32c, Studio One Pro
I contacted Icon support about this. You need to download the 1.02. (User define) firmware and load it into the Qcon. This will allow you to load in a map created in imap. Unfortunately, this doesn't work very well. Fader movement was slow/erratic and their was no timecode display. I quickly reverted back to the latest firmware and the setup in my first post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk