Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mixbus v4 : Sneak Preview
As an amateur audio mixer, I very much look forward to this.
As a professional software engineer, I don't so much.
(01-20-2017, 09:54 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: @SazzSomewhere:

If history is a guide, we expect to have a massive influx of new users & updates when we launch v4. Since we like to provide thorough & personal support for every customer, we have decided to launch in 2 stages. This is similar to the v3 launch, with the 32C version launched several months later. We've actually shortened the gap because we anticipated that 32C users will want to get the new features quickly!

The 32C mixer is getting updated with more features than the regular Mixbus mixer, and these features will take additional time to test after we've launched the other new workstation features in Mixbus v4.

As our 32C users are our "premier" users, I expect we will have some open-beta or paid-beta period before the official launch, so you can get your hands on the new features sooner than May1. But no promises, yet.

Best,
-Ben

Many thanks Ben for the explanation Smile
(01-20-2017, 09:54 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: If history is a guide, we expect to have a massive influx of new users & updates when we launch v4.

And perhaps with a boost from the exposure provided by Glenn Fricker and his review.

(01-20-2017, 09:54 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: As our 32C users are our "premier" users, I expect we will have some open-beta or paid-beta period before the official launch, so you can get your hands on the new features sooner than May1. But no promises, yet.

I for one do not see why I would use the regular Mixbus now that I'm using 32C. I haven't come up with a valid practical use case. So I'm all to try a beta release as long as it can be installed parallel to the existing Mixbus 32C installation.
(01-19-2017, 04:28 PM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: "Mixbus can now load VST plugins on Mac (in addition to AU and LV2), allowing for better Mac-to-Windows-to-Linux sharing of sessions. Multi-output virtual instruments are now easier to setup."

I'm curious about how this VST mac thing is going to work along with existing AU support, since every plug-in with a VST version also have an AU counterpart.

Does v4 come with an preference option to choose which one to load? Would we have to deal with duplicated plugins showing up?
MacMini M1 16gb RAM - MacOS 13.6.6 - Apollo silver +  Apollo 16 silver w/Thunderbolt & Satellite OCTO Thunderbolt - SSL UF8/UC1 - Softube Console 1/Fader - UAD v11.2 - Mixbus 10 Pro ARM
@marcusadv:

The plugins report their "type" in the plugin manager, and/or the pulldown menus. So you'll see 2 entries if you have both versions installed; one for AU and one for VST.

I've maintained, for a long time, that we don't need both AU and VST; but 2 things changed my mind:

1) By supporting VST plugins on Mac, Mixbus sessions can be even more easily shared between Windows and Mac (and sometimes even Linux) computers.

2) Many AU plugins are actually VST plugins in a "wrapper", and there might be some benefit to using them as VST's directly.

-Ben
(01-20-2017, 04:13 PM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: @marcusadv:

The plugins report their "type" in the plugin manager, and/or the pulldown menus. So you'll see 2 entries if you have both versions installed; one for AU and one for VST.

I've maintained, for a long time, that we don't need both AU and VST; but 2 things changed my mind:

1) By supporting VST plugins on Mac, Mixbus sessions can be even more easily shared between Windows and Mac (and sometimes even Linux) computers.

2) Many AU plugins are actually VST plugins in a "wrapper", and there might be some benefit to using them as VST's directly.

-Ben

Yep, I can see the advantages of have both implemented, although it would be a little cumbersome for all of us that use Logic X beside Mixbus and cannot just uninstall the AU versions.
MacMini M1 16gb RAM - MacOS 13.6.6 - Apollo silver +  Apollo 16 silver w/Thunderbolt & Satellite OCTO Thunderbolt - SSL UF8/UC1 - Softube Console 1/Fader - UAD v11.2 - Mixbus 10 Pro ARM
You might choose to only "scan" the VST and/or AU versions. You don't have to use both if you don't want to.

-Ben
(01-20-2017, 04:42 PM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: You might choose to only "scan" the VST and/or AU versions. You don't have to use both if you don't want to.

-Ben

Ahhh... now i've got it! That's what I was looking for when I asked about a "preference option".

Nice work!
Well, guess I have to hibernate and ask someone to wake me up when Mxbus32C is coming. Nite!
Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox
(01-19-2017, 05:14 PM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: Hi Glyn, we haven't published an update price yet.

The update price from v2 to v3 was $39, as I recall.

When V3 was launched the price to upgrade was $79. It has since went on sale a few times.