Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Linux Friendly Plugins
Tnx for the sugestions
MIX3US 32C | Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 | Debian GNU/Linux with OpenBox
[Image: 4280.png]
(06-16-2016, 02:26 PM)lowen Wrote:
(06-16-2016, 04:07 AM)calimerox Wrote: I m still trying to get some noise removal program installed on my linux (manjaro) with no success ;(

DeNoise and ClickRepair ask for java runtime environment 1.5.0 I cant install.... ;(

Anyone using successfully some noise reduction program, app or plugin on linux?

I am using both ClickRepair and DeNoise on Linux. In fact, I just pulled up my copy of DeNoise 2.7.2 (latest version is 2.8) on CentOS 7 and it worked fine. DeNoise works great with Java 1.8.0; it doesn't require the old 1.5.0 stuff anymore if you have the new versions. Now, I am using the Oracle Java, and the howtos online tell how to install it. (Specifically, for CentOS 7, I followed This HOWTO ).

thanks for that! from where did u download the DeNoise? I just installed and configured the java 8 jdk oracle version, but problem remains the same: when i try to install, it sais 1.5. needed ;(

Ah i got it, i had to download the "java" version and not the win version!! Smile
(06-16-2016, 09:42 AM)Jostein Wrote:
(04-25-2016, 10:20 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote: Overtone (ex LinuxDSP) (commercial)

Cheers,
MMM

Sadly, the OverTone plugins are not supported in Linux anymore. They stopped it without any official notice, the penguin just disappeared silently from the home page. Linux versions are still included in their downloads, but I have decided to not use them anymore. I have to know that my system works as expected if I for any reason reopen an old project for further work. I've seen in a forum that the reason for diminishing the Linux plugins is the diversity of the Linux distributions. With the growing number of commercial music apps and plugins for Linux in mind, I find this reason a little bit odd.

It's a pity, because this plugins are truly excellent. I used the reverbs (sr2b and later rvb500) on almost every project since 2011 and the EQ af-210 has always been within an arm reach. And almost every time I used a OverTone DSP plugin other that the reverbs, it was a life saver.

Actually, I still use all of OvertoneDSPs plugins on a Ubuntu Studio based KXStudio. OvertoneDSP no longer officially support linux, but they do provide Linux binaries in their packages, even their newest PTM-5A,
I believe the problem for OvertoneDSP has been supporting all the different Linux distros and builds out there, it's a nightmare for anyone trying to support Linux because you'll always get questions from people who have compiled their own installation from scratch or whatever, and if you've promised to support Linux you have promised.
But if you keep with the popular distros, unofficial support of those few is easier.
They don't promise to support Linux for all future, but so far it works for me.
(02-11-2017, 04:01 PM)haraldthi Wrote: I believe the problem for OvertoneDSP has been supporting all the different Linux distros and builds out there

What's amazing is, that all the ones I bought in 2012 worked on a variety of distros throughout the years. Being build statically they would probably run on everything with an x86 processor which speaks ELF...

MMM
Generally speaking, the DSP itself is super-simple to support.

It's the UI's that are difficult. In the Harrison plugins, we use a minimal set of X11 and OpenGL that should be supported "anywhere", but even still we occasionally have problems on linux distributions.

However I think most linux users are used to those occasional issues. Unlike Mac/Win, if one linux doesn't work for you it's fairly easy to switch to a different one. If you want it to "just work" you can get something like AVLinux, which is already tested with our plugins.