Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Linux Friendly Plugins
(05-14-2016, 06:30 AM)the C.L.A. Wrote: ...
BTW the latest version of Audacity now has some basic spectral editing - in case that's what you are looking for.

One of the few things I miss about Adobe Audition is the 'Marquee' editing that looks a lot like what this ISSE does (or did). I used the Marquee editing once to pull out a rogue signal in a mixed-down two-track recording; the signal was a hot water heater remote control signal, phase-shift keyed, and it was loud. With the Marquee editing mode in Audition, I drew a box around the PSK signal, hit delete, and it was unobtrusively gone.

I would love to get that editing function back.

iZotope's Spectron did something like that, but it's not Linux friendly.

While they're not plugins, DeNoise and ClickRepair both run on Linux and, in my opinion, are the best noise reduction tools available on Linux (they are cross-platform Java). They're not free, either, but then again neither is Mixbus.....
"Bughlt: Sckmud
Shut her down Scotty, she's sucking mud again! "
-- Xenix System III 3.2, Tandy 6000, ca. 1987

Dell Precision 7740 Core i7-9750H 16GB RAM 256GB SSD 3x1TB SSD 1920x1080 plus 2x1920x1200 triple-screen
Mixbus 9.2.171, and 32C 9.2.171, Debian 11 x86_64 Linux
(05-14-2016, 02:32 PM)lowen Wrote:
(05-14-2016, 06:30 AM)the C.L.A. Wrote: ...
BTW the latest version of Audacity now has some basic spectral editing - in case that's what you are looking for.

One of the few things I miss about Adobe Audition is the 'Marquee' editing that looks a lot like what this ISSE does (or did). I used the Marquee editing once to pull out a rogue signal in a mixed-down two-track recording; the signal was a hot water heater remote control signal, phase-shift keyed, and it was loud. With the Marquee editing mode in Audition, I drew a box around the PSK signal, hit delete, and it was unobtrusively gone.

I would love to get that editing function back.

iZotope's Spectron did something like that, but it's not Linux friendly.

While they're not plugins, DeNoise and ClickRepair both run on Linux and, in my opinion, are the best noise reduction tools available on Linux (they are cross-platform Java). They're not free, either, but then again neither is Mixbus.....

There are some more advanced spectral editors for sure, but for simple things where the pitch doesn't vary, the new functions in Audacity might be a good start. I haven't yet tried them myself, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGku4-CJnzc

Uh, and ISSE isn't a plugin either.
Disclaimer: Any resemblance of my nick with a given engineer is purely coincidental!
Desktop: AMD Phenom II x6, 4 GB RAM, Radeon graphics, RME HDSP 9652
Laptop: Thinkpad E560, i3 6100U, 8 GB RAM, Intel graphics, Tascam US-2x2
X32 Rack - Debian GNU/Linux - 32c
(05-09-2016, 01:13 PM)sonik Wrote: And the freaky "Interactive Sound Separator" http://isse.sourceforge.net/

Ah thx ! tried it last year on windows, but I don't know how to install it on Linux. Sad
Harrison Mixbus 4.3|Reaper5|Waveform8| Ubuntu Studio 16.04 LTS
I m still trying to get some noise removal program installed on my linux (manjaro) with no success ;(

DeNoise and ClickRepair ask for java runtime environment 1.5.0 I cant install.... ;(

Anyone using successfully some noise reduction program, app or plugin on linux?
The last time i needed a denoiser, i used (like always) audacity. It always gave me correct results.
Mixbus / Linux 64bit
(06-16-2016, 07:05 AM)sonik Wrote: The last time i needed a denoiser, i used (like always) audacity. It always gave me correct results.

I just recently learned about spectral editing in Audacity and played with it. While of course it is not exactly RX - it looks and sounds quite good, probably all I ever need.

MMM
(06-16-2016, 08:06 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(06-16-2016, 07:05 AM)sonik Wrote: The last time i needed a denoiser, i used (like always) audacity. It always gave me correct results.

I just recently learned about spectral editing in Audacity and played with it. While of course it is not exactly RX - it looks and sounds quite good, probably all I ever need.

MMM

I always had Audacity on my machine : but never looked at it !
Thanks Sonik for the hint

Regards
Time to sleep Max
Frank W. Kooistra

- MMB32C 9.1, AD/DA: Motu:1248, 8A, 8D, Monitor8. X-Touch,, Mini M1 11.6.2, venture 13.3 plugins melda fabfilter harrison No Harrison CP-1 
(04-25-2016, 10:20 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote: Overtone (ex LinuxDSP) (commercial)

Cheers,
MMM

Sadly, the OverTone plugins are not supported in Linux anymore. They stopped it without any official notice, the penguin just disappeared silently from the home page. Linux versions are still included in their downloads, but I have decided to not use them anymore. I have to know that my system works as expected if I for any reason reopen an old project for further work. I've seen in a forum that the reason for diminishing the Linux plugins is the diversity of the Linux distributions. With the growing number of commercial music apps and plugins for Linux in mind, I find this reason a little bit odd.

It's a pity, because this plugins are truly excellent. I used the reverbs (sr2b and later rvb500) on almost every project since 2011 and the EQ af-210 has always been within an arm reach. And almost every time I used a OverTone DSP plugin other that the reverbs, it was a life saver.

From now on, I will probably stick to GVerb+ from Harrison and the excellent IR from Tom Szilagyi (a GUI for the convolution library made by the all mighty Fons Adriansen).
Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox
(06-16-2016, 09:42 AM)Jostein Wrote: Sadly, the OverTone plugins are not supported in Linux anymore. They stopped it without any official notice, the penguin just disappeared silently from the home page. Linux versions are still included in their downloads, but I have decided to not use them anymore. I have to know that my system works as expected if I for any reason reopen an old project for further work. I've seen in a forum that the reason for diminishing the Linux plugins is the diversity of the Linux distributions. With the growing number of commercial music apps and plugins for Linux in mind, I find this reason a little bit odd.
I didn't even know they stopped supporting Linux, thanks for the info !
my (short) list of commercial linux plugins included
- LinuxDSP -> OvertoneDSP (as I understand not all older LinuxDSP plugins were available from OvertoneDSP).
- Loomer
- Harrison / x42 (but as I understand all their plugins are build-in into mixbus so I didn't consider them "plug-ins, well 3rd party external plug-ins).

As for their reason, I agree that it's an odd one. If you look at the most popular distro's (the various Ubuntu versions, Debian, Arch Linux, Fedora Core, AV Linux, 64 Studio, Drealstudio, KX Studio, ...) are based on Debian or RedHat.

Now I'm not an expert but as I understand the differences between most distro's it's the DE/WM choice/setup the settings and the package installer systems (APT vs RPM and such).

Most websites these days offer .deb and .rpm files and in some cases a .tar.gz tarball for installation without package management system.

the overtone plugins are just .so files (DYN5000.so) that are put into ~/vst (32 or 64 bit depending on your setup) so as I understand there is no version for any specific distro, just the x86 or x86-64 version.
MIX3US 32C | Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 | Debian GNU/Linux with OpenBox
[Image: 4280.png]
(06-16-2016, 10:43 AM)Patrick Kox Wrote: Now I'm not an expert but as I understand the differences between most distro's it's the DE/WM choice/setup the settings and the package installer systems (APT vs RPM and such).

Most websites these days offer .deb and .rpm files and in some cases a .tar.gz tarball for installation without package management system.

the overtone plugins are just .so files (DYN5000.so) that are put into ~/vst (32 or 64 bit depending on your setup) so as I understand there is no version for any specific distro, just the x86 or x86-64 version.

I believe that it is the way of dealing with Xorg and perhaps OpenGL and then graphic drivers that is the problem. The latest AF2-10 does not work on my system. I saw in the Ardour forum that they had some heated but polite discussions about the X11; others seems to deal with Xorg, I hope OverTone will do it again as well.

If OverTone comes back and also give a signal that they never again will fade off silently the way they did now, then I will use their products again. I paid the licenses (and I have most of them, bought the last this year) for two main reasons: 1: They are great products that acts musically. 2: Peace of mind and reliability.

This way of fading away the support for the my licensed products is nothing that gives me peace of mind.
Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox