Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Linux Friendly Plugins
(06-16-2016, 04:07 AM)calimerox Wrote: I m still trying to get some noise removal program installed on my linux (manjaro) with no success ;(

DeNoise and ClickRepair ask for java runtime environment 1.5.0 I cant install.... ;(

Anyone using successfully some noise reduction program, app or plugin on linux?

I am using both ClickRepair and DeNoise on Linux. In fact, I just pulled up my copy of DeNoise 2.7.2 (latest version is 2.8) on CentOS 7 and it worked fine. DeNoise works great with Java 1.8.0; it doesn't require the old 1.5.0 stuff anymore if you have the new versions. Now, I am using the Oracle Java, and the howtos online tell how to install it. (Specifically, for CentOS 7, I followed This HOWTO ).
"Bughlt: Sckmud
Shut her down Scotty, she's sucking mud again! "
-- Xenix System III 3.2, Tandy 6000, ca. 1987

Dell Precision 7740 Core i7-9750H 16GB RAM 256GB SSD 3x1TB SSD 1920x1080 plus 2x1920x1200 triple-screen
Mixbus 9.2.171, and 32C 9.2.171, Debian 11 x86_64 Linux
(06-16-2016, 01:02 PM)Jostein Wrote: This way of fading away the support for the my licensed products is nothing that gives me peace of mind.

I, too, didn't know they did that. I still have the workstation bundle (old LV2 version) and BlackEQ has often been a live saver in notching out some crap.
But then, I could kind of see that they will give into supporting "industry standards" only when they merged LinuxDSP into OvertoneDSP. I never bought their explanation about "the new tax laws in Europe wouldn't allow to sell LinuxDSP with any economical benefit".
Too bad, excellent products slaughtered for... for what actually? I think some big players have a vital interest in Linux not becoming a commercial platform.

MMM
(06-16-2016, 01:02 PM)Jostein Wrote: This way of fading away the support for the my licensed products is nothing that gives me peace of mind.

Was news to me too. But I lost any trust in overtonedsp when I asked about upgrade paths and they gave a reply that suggested I'd need to repurchase if I wanted the VST versions to replace my discontinued linuxdsp LV2 versions. I stopped following and buying their stuff when that happened and would suspect I'm not the only one.

If Linux support is no longer financially viable for them, I think they have to take some of the blame for that themselves.

PS: Not tested this yet so can't say if it belongs in a "Best" listing but I recently found the Linux friendly https://tunefish-synth.com

I Agree,
the bare minimum would be to contact customers (sending an email) that they are discontinuing a specific product/platform. And a message on the website would also be nice.

On the other hand, with no official/public statement we can hope that this is temporarily and Linux support comes back in the future.

Oh, to add to my list :
Tracktion (since tracktion 7 IIRC) offers commercial plugins (3 or 4 I think) and Bitwig-Studio allows to install some plugins from 3rd parties through their install manager, I don't know if these are included with the Bitwig-Studio license or that you'll need to purchase them seperatly for their venders ?

So commercial plugins list now is :
- Harrison Mixbus & x42 (build-in)
- Loomer
- linuxDSP/OvertoneDSP but not longer supporting Linux
- Tracktion
- Bitwig-Studio

am I missing any plugins / vendors ?

It would be nice to add a list of known plugins in my howto install mixbus on Debian.
MIX3US 32C | Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 | Debian GNU/Linux with OpenBox
[Image: 4280.png]
(06-17-2016, 08:47 AM)Patrick Kox Wrote: am I missing any plugins / vendors ?

U-He & Illformed off the top of my head.
(06-17-2016, 09:42 AM)Domino Wrote:

Tnk !

I also found DiscoDSP which has some plugins that also work on Linux. And for some weird reason Facebook pointed me to TAL (Togu Audio Line) but they don't have Linux plugins.
MIX3US 32C | Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 | Debian GNU/Linux with OpenBox
[Image: 4280.png]
(06-17-2016, 11:03 AM)Patrick Kox Wrote: Tnk !

I also found DiscoDSP which has some plugins that also work on Linux. And for some weird reason Facebook pointed me to TAL (Togu Audio Line) but they don't have Linux plugins.

Are you sure? Big Grin
http://distrho.sourceforge.net/ports
(06-17-2016, 11:03 AM)Patrick Kox Wrote:
(06-17-2016, 09:42 AM)Domino Wrote:

Tnk !

The TAL plugins are available in KX Studio, they were one of the distrho ports I think (already confirmed by a faster typer!).. If you are just after available vst's, not just commercial ones, then there's the gvst stuff too.

http://www.gvst.co.uk/portpage.htm
(06-17-2016, 08:47 AM)Patrick Kox Wrote: So commercial plugins list now is :
- Harrison Mixbus & x42 (build-in)
- Loomer
- linuxDSP/OvertoneDSP but not longer supporting Linux
- Tracktion
- Bitwig-Studio

am I missing any plugins / vendors ?

Yes, you missed Pianoteq! :-)

But there is even more really great free plugins as well, here is some:
And there is also a bunch of good software plugins and stand alone programs/virtual synths and a huuuge bunch of useful LADSPA plugins as well.

I normally use only one (reverb), occasionally maybe up to three three extra external plugins for mixing, but for music making and recording, I use Linuxsampler, Pianoteq, Loomer stuff, Discovery Pro from DiscoDSP, and some few more. I'm going to use Diva (from u-he) very much and will by a license for it and i'm investigating DrumGizmo.

You will have direct access to most of the free ones if you connect the KXStudio repositories to your Debian distro.

EDIT: I'm apparently not a fast typer! Two posters before me managed to answer some of the things I wrote before I submitted! :-)
Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox
Quote:Are you sure? Big Grin
http://distrho.sourceforge.net/ports

Specially the Klangfalter Convolution Reverb is worth a try.

I bought a long time ago all the linux-dsp plugins. I found that the ten-band parametric ( ithink its the one before the black eq) was the most unmusical eq i ever heard in my life. I still use two of their products which is the PEQ2 (a pultek eq) and the pro-gate, but only for the phase-shift-pot.
All their other products i replaced with calf.
Mixbus / Linux 64bit