Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dolby/Atmos coming to Mixbus
(02-04-2024, 03:19 AM)johne53 Wrote: Where's your main field of interest hodger? Your image looks like it might be film & video whereas maybe Dingo leans more towards music production?

Hi johne53. 

My main field of interest could best be termed media creation, which does include audio with and without a screen (and center speaker) but mostly music production these days.  (I do have a 9.1.6 rig.)  I don't experience any practical distinction between film and video and music production with reagard to having good tools to get the job done.  The old photo (EFX Systems Burbank) was definitely a film mix facility, yet there is underlying meaning to the choice or I could have posted a Series 10 from a "music" recording studio. 

Prior to this particular Series 10 install, the room was hobbled together with Sony and Trident (stereo only) tools that were not a good fit for immersive work.  (Immersive has been around a long time, regardless of what Dolby wants people to think.)  This was for theme park work, tv work, film work, and music mix for inclusion in all the above.  Harrison's approach was to provide a superior toolkit for getting the job done.  It was truly a pleasure to finally have an LCR panner.  It didn't matter that SSL and Neve thought studios didn't need one, we actually did, and so does Mixbus.

If the intent is to react to market trends and become "atmos" compatible, as cheaply and quickly as possible, then maybe a multichannel workstation without any multichannel support makes sense - roi and shareholder returns be prioritised.  My point was that the Harrison of the eighties decided to make money by making a tool that was better than the others and fit the needs of the creators.  I hoped that similar goals persist with the team.  Even if they do, perhaps that is not the goal here, and that is ok, and even ok to avoid saying so in a public forum.  If the new version is not a good fit for me then that is quite ok, and no hard feelings on my part.  I buy and use what works well and eventually walk away from others.  It is even ok to try and diminish my way of working.  Note however that there are swaths of the industry that aim higher.  Whether music or post or games or events, there are valid reasons for tools to be crafted and sold.  I have no interest and no use for a multichannel workstation that forces me to abandon some of these...

multichannel reverbs from LiquidSonics
Spanner4 from the Cargo Cult
auralComp from PSP
Blackhole immersive

If Harrison makes a new "immersive" Mixbus32C that fails to support multichannel concepts, then that is not necessarily a problem, and they are in good company.  Ableton Live is definitely a fine product and they choose to be natively incompatible with the aforementioned plugins, yet they excel in some other ways.  I have worked in Atmos with many workstation platforms, some of which are really horrible, which includes Mixbus as of today.  I always am looking for things that work better, including better than ProTools.  The vision presented by Dingo is likely in sync with the corporate vision, and at the same time not in sync at all with my way of working.  I'm not at all offended if I'm not the target customer.

Hope this helps,
h