Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dolby/Atmos coming to Mixbus
As a mastering engineer, i tend to solely work in stereo.  But those days may be numbered.   Streaming is where most of my projects go, but i still see a vinyl record or a CD once in a while.  

I have worked in Atmos for both film and music and its awesome.  For music, its potentially another major shift.  Having the ability to only use LR speakers to provide an immersive experience is really something special.  All it takes is for one of the major streaming platforms to introduce Atmos and we start seeing popular releases embracing it then it will be game on.  Remember going to get CDs at Record retailers and people saying " Digital sales will never replace physical product".  If we are not prepared then we will be left behind.

ProTools has incorporated it.  Logic can do it as well.  Both of those DAWs still work with stereo audio.  I applauded Harrison for adding Atmos workflows to Mixbus.  Its always best to be prepared before major change in workflows appear.

From my prospective, it's totally plausible that 1 or 2 years from now Atmos is just another format that will be mastered for streaming. 

Matt
@Dingo -

All great comments.
Thank you for your perspective!

Cheers!
Patrick
Most Daws will be providing workflows for Atmos. Only a handful will offer the capability to actually render the Atmos file required for distribution (ADM-BWD)- these current DAWs i.e Cubase, Nuendo, Protools, Presonus have the renderer built in while other DAWs currently do not or will not in the near future. Since Mixbus does not have the capability to render the files you will have to look to Dolby Atmos Renderer plug in or Fiedler's plug in. Or you could send your output to someone/studio who can render for you. Hope this helps!!
(01-28-2024, 02:52 PM)at18466 Wrote: (ADM-BWD)- these current DAWs i.e Cubase, Nuendo, Protools, Presonus have the renderer built in while other DAWs currently do not or will not in the near future. Since Mixbus does not have the capability to render the files you will have to look to Dolby Atmos Renderer plug in or Fiedler's plug in.

Not sure where you are getting your information from....
As far as I am aware the intention is that Mixbus will be supporting full Native implementation of Dolby Atmos.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(01-28-2024, 03:47 PM)Dingo Wrote:
(01-28-2024, 02:52 PM)at18466 Wrote: (ADM-BWD)- these current DAWs i.e Cubase, Nuendo, Protools, Presonus have the renderer built in while other DAWs currently do not or will not in the near future. Since Mixbus does not have the capability to render the files you will have to look to Dolby Atmos Renderer plug in or Fiedler's plug in.

Not sure where you are getting your information from....
As far as I am aware the intention is that Mixbus will be supporting full Native implementation of Dolby Atmos.

I stated that Mixbus and other DAWs are supporting Atmos , Atmos workflows -however- delivering a workflow is not the same as providing the ability to render the output file such as Protools currently does. Correct me If I am wrong in this distinction for Mixbus, Ableton etc as they all state to support Atmos but when you look into the finer details its just the workflow. The workflow is helpful but will not render the BWD file.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
Sorry for being difficult but you are not stating the specific detail - will it render the BWD output file? A lot of DAWs are claiming to support Atmos but like Ableton they DO NOT RENDER the file. what they do is manage and monitor multiple channel output that the renderer will use - but not actually render it.
(01-28-2024, 05:20 PM)at18466 Wrote: Sorry for being difficult but you are not stating the specific detail - will it render the BWD output file? A lot of DAWs are claiming to support Atmos but like Ableton they DO NOT RENDER the file.  what they do is manage and monitor multiple channel output that the renderer will use - but not actually render it.

ADM BWF not BWD....
(01-28-2024, 05:20 PM)at18466 Wrote: you are not stating the specific detail - will it render the BWD output file? A lot of DAWs are claiming to support Atmos but like Ableton they DO NOT RENDER the file.  what they do is manage and monitor multiple channel output that the renderer will use - but not actually render it.

Yes this is the bit that's confusing me too... for CueBase, Nuendo, ProTools etc, does the rendering get done in real time? Or does the workflow render to a file which users can only listen to later? Or is that the big difference between those systems and everything else?
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
it is not realtime. And you can only listen to that file with special software.. The Dolby Atmos Renderer for example can do it.
2023 Mac mini m2pro with 32GB RAM with audient id44mk2