Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pops, clicks and studder
Mixbus user since 2015.

I have been slowly trying to weed through all the recommendations for setting up a windows system to run MB 32C.  I started years back with small projects, some midi and live recorded stuff, usually no more than 15-20 tracks. Never had an issue.  Useing a cheap Behringer U404HD with ASIO drivers.  The unit comes with UMC ASIO drivers and installs them when you run the setup software.  Again, worked great.  Bought a larger 8 input interface and a signoficantly more powerful PC

Interface: Behringer UMC1820 using ASIO and UMC ASIO drivers
PC: Dell Optiplex, i7 @ 2.8 (I think, possibly 3.2GHz) and 32 GB Ram, wired keyboard and wireless logitech trackball
VST's located on Seagate external

When I started doing larger projects with the new PC and interface, after I got to 20+ tracks, I started to get studder and clicks etc.  Thought it was dirty power, got a conditioner and it helped with eliminating RFI.  I noticed when I left the mouse alone, rarely heard a thing.  When I started adjustiing things (or did something in the background) it happened. So, first of all I disabled the Ethernet and Wifi Adapters. AGain, this was a help, but still had issues. I also set my graphics to basic as all the animations and pop up things (hover over button etc) in WIndows seemed to affect it.  Also done was increasing buffer from 512 to 1028.  Less studder for sure but still get beeps and robot noises once in a while.  I tried the 2048 and it was no different

Ran the Monitor Latency program...started out all green and said I could handle real time recording.  After about 10 min, it stated to bog down.  Took note of prcesses that were highighted to be troublesome.

I then installed the Win10Privacy application and turned off a bunch of stuff...again it seemed to help.

BUT, I still get issues with the beeps and clicks on occasion and I am not sure if many of you all have experienced this.  When mixing, it complettly derails you.  

I referred to the Latency Monitor application and from what I understand, there is a driver that is somehow connected to the USB and its connections Everytime I would move the cursor or hit the keyboard, beep, click pop.  Solution for part of that was to buy larger internal SSD and install all my VST's on it so they run from the internal.  Also turned off power throttling as the Latency Monitor suggested it. Remove as many USB connections from the chain as possible.

I think I am slowly sifting through it all and got it pretty stable.  Now that it is somewhat usable, even though I get the odd beep etc, my last effort os to reach out to the MB Community to see if anyone has been through this sort of troubleshooting and if there is something else I can try to eliminate it all together.

I Love Mixbus, the workflow just works for me, like I am back in the old days behind a console...that is how I learned to record.  I just need it to run as stable as it did with small interface and small projects. 

Thanks to all who took the time to read, hopefully get some feedback

M
Windows contains a plethora of things that can mess up DAW performance. Check this topic - Guide for optimising Windows 10
Mixbus 32C, Debian Bookworm/KDE, EVE SC205 + ADAM Sub 8 monitors, Soundcraft Compact 4, M-Audio 2496, i5 6500, 16GB RAM, WD Blue SSD 1TB, 48" LG OLED, other stuff.
Work as house engineer at a popular venue in Melbourne AU. On a quest for the holy grail, the perfect amount of cowbell.

@Hepburn73,
Check Properties/Performance and Properties/DSP CPU utilization
https://rsrc.harrisonconsoles.com/mixbus...ces-window
You also mention that the clicks and pops seem to correlate to mouse/kbd commands.
Is your I/O running of the same USB port as the mouse/kbd ?
You might want to ensure the I/O and input devices are on seperate ports.
Might even be worth trying another keyboard as a test.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
@Hepburn73 -

If you have not done this already, visit the Dell Support site and download the latest BIOS and various device drivers for your computer.

Cheers!
Patrick
And if you're currently using the Mixbus PortAudio driver, one more thing you could try is installing Jack and see if that helps.
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
(02-18-2022, 05:03 AM)johne53 Wrote: And if you're currently using the Mixbus PortAudio driver, one more thing you could try is installing Jack and see if that helps.

Jeeez, he said the J-word!
MMM
Smile
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
@Hepburn73 Are you running audio sessions off your system drive or from an external drive ?

Also I am not a WIN user, but noted the amount of articles that appear about win10 cracks and pops...
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...80da4a71e6
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
Wow, you guys are all awesome.  I am very happy to report that I have made progress and it is due to you kind folk.  I disabled "sound enhancements" on the back end as on my interface output 1-2 is my main out.  I went into settings and found the additional troubleshooter and selected Behringer Output 1-2 and viola, up popped a menu and asked if I wanted to turn off the sound enhancements.  It ws trying to 'normalize' and add it's own Windows audio effects to that output.  Turned it off and we are in much better shape. I am happy to report I had a session with my band tracking multiple 8 input takes of drums yesterday with merely a noise.  Lets hope this is the case moving forward and I have found my Gremlins.  I also noticed that once  you stop the audio engine and change sample rate, then srart it again...doesn't always like it until you reboot Mixbus fully.  

Thanks for the help, I alwyas love it when a little work and digging pays off. If any issues pop up, I will update.

Thanks for all the help, hope I can return the favour.

Mike H
Ontario, Canada
(02-17-2022, 04:44 PM)sunrat Wrote: Windows contains a plethora of things that can mess up DAW performance. Check this topic - Guide for optimising Windows 10

Thank you, I have done most but found another couple of things to turn off.
(02-18-2022, 01:23 PM)Dingo Wrote: @Hepburn73 Are you running audio sessions off your system drive or from an external drive ?

Also I am not a WIN user, but noted the amount of articles that appear about win10 cracks and pops...
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...80da4a71e6

This where I found the Troubleshooter approach and led me o the enhancements...very useful and helpful article.

Thanks again!