Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pops, clicks and studder
"Sound enhancements", good one Windows! Huh Rolleyes Tongue
Great you found the culprit.
Mixbus 32C, Debian Bookworm/KDE, EVE SC205 + ADAM Sub 8 monitors, Soundcraft Compact 4, M-Audio 2496, i5 6500, 16GB RAM, WD Blue SSD 1TB, 48" LG OLED, other stuff.
Work as house engineer at a popular venue in Melbourne AU. On a quest for the holy grail, the perfect amount of cowbell.

Video 
OK, thanks to the help I got, things are better.  But I had this happen...when editing a reecorded keys track, the keys volume got loud but didn't clip.  It caused a pop/studder when it is played back...could the issues be linked to volume in some aspect? Video below to see it happen! If you can't view, I will change the permissions but should be able to view.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/20ry777efl7ch6...3.mov?dl=0
Sorry if I've missed this but where are your sessions? Are they on the same drive as Windows or on some other drive? (also - did you try Jack ?)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
Yes my question as well John
@Hepburn73 Are you running audio sessions off your system drive or from an external drive ?
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
My system is all running off the 1 TB SSD in my PC.

Only thing connected USB is the interface, keyboard and mouse.

I have another NVMe slot, wonder if I move the Wiindows OS to one and have all Mixbus stuff on the other intrernal.

MY PC has a SATA slot (used for main SSD) and an empty NVMe slot.

Have not tried Jack yet, I think I used it when I had a Linux Mixbus setup a few years back, I will refamiliarize myself and try it out. 

System Report from Latency M

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
CONCLUSION
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Your system seems to be having difficulty handling real-time audio and other tasks. You may experience drop outs, clicks or pops due to buffer underruns. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for  0:01:10  (h:mmConfuseds) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
Computer name:                                        DESKTOP-LOPVHHF
OS version:                                          Windows 10, 10.0, version 2009, build: 19042 (x64)
Hardware:                                            OptiPlex 7050, Dell Inc.
BIOS:                                                BIOS Date: 12/22/20 01:03:30 Ver: 1.15.1
CPU:                                                  GenuineIntel Intel® Core™ i7-6700T CPU @ 2.80GHz
Logical processors:                                  8
Processor groups:                                    1
Processor group size:                                8
RAM:                                                  32631 MB total

CPU SPEED
Reported CPU speed (WMI):                            2808 MHz
Reported CPU speed (registry):                        2808 MHz

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs):  751.60
Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs):  9.832613

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):      708.80
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):      3.904984

REPORTED ISRs
Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs):              87.280271
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time:      HDAudBus.sys - High Definition Audio Bus Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%):          0.009056
Driver with highest ISR total time:                  Wdf01000.sys - Kernel Mode Driver Framework Runtime, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%)                          0.014388

ISR count (execution time <250 µs):                  55803
ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
ISR count (execution time 500-1000 µs):              0
ISR count (execution time 1000-2000 µs):              0
ISR count (execution time 2000-4000 µs):              0
ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs):                0

REPORTED DPCs
DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs):              1286.216168
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time:      Wdf01000.sys - Kernel Mode Driver Framework Runtime, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%):          0.467401
Driver with highest DPC total execution time:        Wdf01000.sys - Kernel Mode Driver Framework Runtime, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%)                          0.501637

DPC count (execution time <250 µs):                  109441
DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
DPC count (execution time 500-10000 µs):              41
DPC count (execution time 1000-2000 µs):              1
DPC count (execution time 2000-4000 µs):              0
DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs):                0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count:                msmpeng.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults                      103
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process:          96
Number of processes hit:                              3

PER CPU DATA
CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s):                      4.366854
CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs):                61.149573
CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s):                  0.062302
CPU 0 ISR count:                                      54455
CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs):                1286.216168
CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s):                  2.714745
CPU 0 DPC count:                                      90001
CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s):                      1.344590
CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs):                87.280271
CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s):                  0.018611
CPU 1 ISR count:                                      1348
CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs):                238.098291
CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s):                  0.053967
CPU 1 DPC count:                                      6250
CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s):                      0.640081
CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s):                  0.0
CPU 2 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs):                125.384259
CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s):                  0.026051
CPU 2 DPC count:                                      6432
CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s):                      0.653883
CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s):                  0.0
CPU 3 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs):                36.570869
CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s):                  0.001953
CPU 3 DPC count:                                      516
CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s):                      0.578602
CPU 4 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 4 ISR total execution time (s):                  0.0
CPU 4 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs):                110.805199
CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s):                  0.011032
CPU 4 DPC count:                                      2631
CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s):                      0.652530
CPU 5 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 5 ISR total execution time (s):                  0.0
CPU 5 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs):                58.286681
CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s):                  0.002299
CPU 5 DPC count:                                      887
CPU 6 Interrupt cycle time (s):                      0.532369
CPU 6 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 6 ISR total execution time (s):                  0.0
CPU 6 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 6 DPC highest execution time (µs):                86.985755
CPU 6 DPC total execution time (s):                  0.008386
CPU 6 DPC count:                                      2017
CPU 7 Interrupt cycle time (s):                      0.654255
CPU 7 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 7 ISR total execution time (s):                  0.0
CPU 7 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 7 DPC highest execution time (µs):                56.030271
CPU 7 DPC total execution time (s):                  0.002654
CPU 7 DPC count:                                      749
Seems like you need to do some tweaks to optimise your Windows. I linked a couple of guides here - https://forum.harrisonconsoles.com/thread-9469.html

BTW, it's "stutter" not "studder". Wink
Mixbus 32C, Debian Bookworm/KDE, EVE SC205 + ADAM Sub 8 monitors, Soundcraft Compact 4, M-Audio 2496, i5 6500, 16GB RAM, WD Blue SSD 1TB, 48" LG OLED, other stuff.
Work as house engineer at a popular venue in Melbourne AU. On a quest for the holy grail, the perfect amount of cowbell.

(03-06-2022, 01:31 PM)Hepburn_73 Wrote: My system is all running off the 1 TB SSD in my PC.

I have another NVMe slot, wonder if I move the Wiindows OS to one and have all Mixbus stuff on the other intrernal.

Have not tried Jack yet, I think I used it when I had a Linux Mixbus setup a few years back, I will refamiliarize myself and try it out. 

I would advise you to not use your system drive for audio. I am not a WIN user so cannot advise on SATA versus NVMe but you really need to get a second drive happening for audio. As sunrat has pointed out you need to get your system in order so you can enjoy the process.... pops clicks etc are no fun...

@sunrat ... is that stutter or Studer
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(03-06-2022, 06:22 PM)Dingo Wrote:
(03-06-2022, 01:31 PM)Hepburn_73 Wrote: My system is all running off the 1 TB SSD in my PC.

I would advise you to not use your system drive for audio. I am not a WIN user so cannot advise on SATA versus NVMe but you really need to get a second drive happening for audio. As sunrat has pointed out you need to get your system in order so you can enjoy the process.... pops clicks etc are no fun...

@sunrat ... is that stutter or Studer

If you move anything to the NVME let that be the sessions, keep the system on the SATA drive.
MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
(03-06-2022, 06:22 PM)Dingo Wrote: @sunrat ... is that stutter or Studer

I don't think OP has problems with Studer. Big Grin 
Brings back memories of a beautiful Studer A80 2 Track we used for mastering when I worked in an analog studio. Our 24-track was an Otari MTR-90.

(03-06-2022, 08:12 PM)sunrat Wrote: Brings back memories of a beautiful Studer A80 2 Track we used for mastering when I worked in an analog studio.

In my younger days I worked at the BBC in Manchester. I still remember when everything moved over to DAWs - the BBC must've had a dozen or more Studer A800 multitracks left out in the car park because no-one wanted them any more. They were out there for years in all weathers. Some of us pleaded with the Beeb to just give them away to audio training schools etc but it never happened Sad
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!