Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pops, clicks and studder
If you've not--update your GPU drivers (which might just be the built in intel on chip--still has a driver)...I have foudn that more Windows updates than not muck with the performance of Mixbus32c, specifically, until I update GPU drivers. This was applicable when I built the system with the intel UHD, and with my current AMD RX570/8gb. 

The same update has NO negative effect on Cubase 10/10.5. There's something about the way Harrison is rendering graphics that has been trouble for me from day one on Windows. Meaning--third party plug ins have issues that crash Mixbus (and not Cubase), but only crash if you open the UI for the plug in.

I'm just saying, on Windows, they've done some "special" code for graphics. I don't know if they're using OpenGL for the whole thing, like many of the plugs use and it's a different version or what--I can't imagine they're using Windows graphics APIs. These Win updates cause ZERO performance problems in consumer apps--both utility and (graphically intense) games OR Cubase-old OR newer versions...just Mixbus. 

I remember one making it very specifically graphically stutter along. And it was odd--I don't think it was having underruns (the audio glitches you describe)...but, it was UNUSABLE...I couldn't seem to even click on the right button...update AMD drivers--all running great in one reboot.

Other unrelated to GPU thought:

...you say "VSTs on external drives"--are these bigger VI projects....or audio tracks? Those are two VERY different demands on a system...and NO WAY VI libraries should be on an external USB drive. As someone who has used software instruments for 25 years now...THAT only can be the reason why increased use (thus polyphony, thus time sensitive streams from the USB drive) will cause underruns. You have a tower PC? A 2TB SATA SSD is what $180? 1TB half  that...do that. The project files are better off on the external, if you REALLY have to utilize external storage. given the larger buffers you have going, USB should do fine for that.
Win10pro(2004) : i7 8700/RX570 8gb/16gb/970evo : RME PCIe Multiface : Mixbus 32c 4.3 & 7.2
Other DAWs: Logic 10.4 (MacBook) Cubase 10.5 (PC)
Music: https://jamielang.bandcamp.com
Good call. In the past, OpenGL has often been responsible for stuttering and clicks etc but OpenGL issues can be difficult to fix Sad

If Hepburn's unsure about trying Jack I'd recommend to start off by trying PortAudio's Buffered I/O option. And if that doesn't help, try Jack. But if neither of them helps then yes, there's a good chance it'll be an OpenGL issue.
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
Update:
I did invest in a 1 TB NVMe drive and installed it.  This means all Mixbus projects plus all my VST's (I don't use VI's) are all seperate from the Windows OS and anything else system related.  

It seemed better and then, I saved my project and was happy.  Opened it a day later and it was popping and cracking at every loud point of a recorded organ.  It was recoeded direct (keyboard through a DI) and when the player really dug in a bit (touch sensitive keys) it woul pop (meter never goes above -12dB)..but also at weird times throughout the song.  I could reboot and it would be better for a while. It was getting to be completely random. WHole day long recording session would be fine..then as tracks build up (usually anywhere between 20-40 tracks per session), it would get crackly. 

I ran with my wifi/ethermet adapters disabled, again seemed to help, but then my Waves plugins stopped working and I just about had enough.

I bought an old Mac mini.  I installed Mixbus, loaded my plug ins, loaded the project and it plays without ANY issues.  Now I just have to record some parts again that have recoreded pops and cracks in them.  It has half the ram and is an older i7 than I had...but it works.  Now all I have to deal with is mirrored/backward GUI's in my Waves plugins..ugh, good thing I love this platform.  Oh, and I can run my playback at 512 (Mac) instead of 2048 (windows) with no issues. 

I had no intentions of leaving the windows world but a mini came up with decent specs and it just worked.  I would say that it is a graphical issue, it would pop when I hovered over a tool tip (it highlights it).  As it highlighted it, there would be a pop on occasion.  And witht the backwards GUI's in mac world...I assume it has something to do with graphics.

I just don't have time to deal with it when a person is waitning for their mix..
(03-26-2022, 01:49 PM)Hepburn_73 Wrote: I bought an old Mac mini.  I installed Mixbus, loaded my plug ins, loaded the project and it plays without ANY issues.  Now I just have to record some parts again that have recoreded pops and cracks in them.  It has half the ram and is an older i7 than I had...but it works.  Now all I have to deal with is mirrored/backward GUI's in my Waves plugins..ugh, good thing I love this platform.  Oh, and I can run my playback at 512 (Mac) instead of 2048 (windows) with no issues. 

And witht the backwards GUI's in mac world...I assume it has something to do with graphics.

I just don't have time to deal with it when a person is waitning for their mix..

I assume you are running v7 at the moment, depending on the age and OS of your Mac mini, you may need to load the version for older computers...
Mac 64bit UNSIGNED (10.6.8 or newer ):This package is recommended for macs older than 2018. This package is 'unsigned'. After dragging the application to your Applications folder, you should right-click on it and choose 'Open' to bypass the Apple security settings.

Check your email for when you had v7.2 installers emailed to you... if the links have expired contact support mixbus@harrisonconsoles.com

If you are upgrading to v8, I think an older build is not needed.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(03-26-2022, 01:49 PM)Hepburn_73 Wrote: I had no intentions of leaving the windows world but a mini came up with decent specs and it just worked.  I would say that it is a graphical issue, it would pop when I hovered over a tool tip (it highlights it).  As it highlighted it, there would be a pop on occasion.  And witht the backwards GUI's in mac world...I assume it has something to do with graphics.

Now that your Windows machine is "retired" - do a fresh OS install from scratch, then install Mixbus and I bet it's working like a charm.
MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
(03-27-2022, 07:29 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote: Now that your Windows machine is "retired" - do a fresh OS install from scratch, then install Mixbus and I bet it's working like a charm.
MMM

Maybe. A fresh Windows install usually needs some optimisation tweaks for best performance. I may have posted a link to that earlier in this topic.
Mixbus 32C, Debian Bookworm/KDE, EVE SC205 + ADAM Sub 8 monitors, Soundcraft Compact 4, M-Audio 2496, i5 6500, 16GB RAM, WD Blue SSD 1TB, 48" LG OLED, other stuff.
Work as house engineer at a popular venue in Melbourne AU. On a quest for the holy grail, the perfect amount of cowbell.

(03-27-2022, 08:37 PM)sunrat Wrote:
(03-27-2022, 07:29 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote: Now that your Windows machine is "retired" - do a fresh OS install from scratch, then install Mixbus and I bet it's working like a charm.
MMM

Maybe. A fresh Windows install usually needs some optimisation tweaks for best performance. I may have posted a link to that earlier in this topic.

Ootb it's usually not too bad - until all these "quality" and "feature" updates roll in.
MMM
Linux throughout!

Well I would go a stale mac mini over a fresh window anyday
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(03-28-2022, 04:56 PM)Dingo Wrote: Well I would go a stale mac mini over a fresh window anyday

I couldn't care less about both Big Grin
Linux throughout!