Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixbus v7.0 - Now Available!
(05-01-2021, 06:31 PM)Dingo Wrote: Email support: mixbus@harrisonconsoles.com

thank you guys!
Manjaro KDE linux-rt-56 FX-8350, 16GB, GT 630 (nvidia-440), Multiscreen (2x 22", 1x 15"), Mixbus 5.3.22 64-bit, Interface: Tascam US-16x08, ControlSurface: Tascam US-2400, Monitors: JBL 4412A, Tascam VL-S3 & Alesis Elevate 3 mkII
I got it, but it crashes my existing sessions. I understand that we're advised not to use it on existing sessions, but this makes this version pretty useless to me for the time being. Is there a fix planned, or a work-around in case I would want to transfer over?
I was able to get one project open, but it definitely isn't smooth...DSP spikes compared to V6. It's kind of important to be able to open those sessions; I'm at the tail end of a long project and not starting a new one for quite some time. This upgrade sort of leaves me behind.
(05-02-2021, 06:39 PM)amanamission Wrote: I got it, but it crashes my existing sessions. I understand that we're advised not to use it on existing sessions, but this makes this version pretty useless to me for the time being. Is there a fix planned, or a work-around in case I would want to transfer over?
I was able to get one project open, but it definitely isn't smooth...DSP spikes compared to V6. It's kind of important to be able to open those sessions; I'm at the tail end of a long project and not starting a new one for quite some time. This upgrade sort of leaves me behind.

Don't switch then. Never switch during a project.
Besides, v7 and v6 can co-exist on your machine. I always include the version into my project names and if I reopen them I do so with the respective version.

MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
(05-02-2021, 09:28 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(05-02-2021, 06:39 PM)amanamission Wrote: I got it, but it crashes my existing sessions. I understand that we're advised not to use it on existing sessions, but this makes this version pretty useless to me for the time being. Is there a fix planned, or a work-around in case I would want to transfer over?

Don't switch then. Never switch during a project.
Besides, v7 and v6 can co-exist on your machine. I always include the version into my project names and if I reopen them I do so with the respective version.

MMM
Yeah, thanks, I figured that part out already. It means that my upgrade is unusable, and it should either be repaired or advertised that way beforehand, because that's time and money invested in nothing I can use at this time. The last version of V6 has issues I was hoping would be fixed here, so this is a disappointment, and I don't see the point of not making version upgrades compatible with the last version.
Also, when I open the session from the .ardour file, it automatically chooses v7 and promptly crashes, so I'm losing an important function, the ability to open a session at a click.
This leaves me stuck in time, without any improvement to the software. This was not the case with version 5; I've been able to open the old projects without trouble.

If you can open a new or known existing session with v7, then do a plugin scan in v7.
It could be that there is an unscanned plugin that is in a v6 session that is giving v7 issues on opening.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
I had that issue at first, but after scanning a couple of times it loaded a smaller project, with just the synth intro. Plugins seem all there. But it can't open either of the full mixes I tried.
The crash report says it was thread 21; it crashes after the plugin scan has finished, when busses and buffers are loading, right before the mix opens.
(05-02-2021, 10:15 PM)amanamission Wrote: I  had that issue at first, but after scanning a couple of times it loaded a smaller project, with just the synth intro. Plugins seem all there. But it can't open either of the full mixes I tried.
The crash report says it was thread 21; it crashes after the plugin scan has finished, when busses and buffers are loading, right before the mix opens.

Can you copy the entire crash report and email to support: mixbus@harrisonconsoles.com ?
Also include what you where doing and hardware /software details.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
Did so. This time, it crashed thread 28.
I think this is my biggest gripe at an otherwise beautiful DAW - the inconsistencies between versions. I too keep older versions available and make a note of which version a project was completed in. Doesn't seem to make a difference whether it's 32C or vanilla flavoured - you never quite know how a mix is going to come back at you in a new version.

This is a serious issue which, although there are workarounds using the older versions, does dent the reputation of Mixbus as a truly professional workstation.

I've got Pro Tools sessions going back to the early 2000s (PT5 on a PC) and I can still open then in Pro Tools 11 MAC, and except for any missing or now defunct plugins, it all plays as it should.

I dread the day the composer of a complex classical suite I recorded live and mixed in Mixbus 4 (?) in around 2012 comes to me asking for some remixes......!

Seasoned hands like me and a few more know to keep back-up versions of Mixbus at the ready, but it really shouldn't be necessary.

EDIT

I was curious, so I just tried to open a very simple session from 2013. Absolutely not having it! Neither V6 32C or V7 32C and plain 7 will open, crashes EVERY time. Fortunately I don't really need to access this session, but.....that's a serious problem in a world where sessions have to be accessible sometimes years later. And I'm not interested in archiving stems (of course I could) when the whole point of a DAW is that absolute instant recall. I can accept plugins no longer being around but I absolutely cannot accept sessions being non-readable after a few iterations of the DAW. The problem here is that perhaps the Mixbus version that I used in 2013 will not run on my current computer - Cubase 8.5 won't run on Mojave, but its sessions will open in Cubase 11, Same with Pro Tools.

Now I need to find a really old version of Mixbus just to satisfy my curiosity!
Quote:Also, when I open the session from the .ardour file, it automatically chooses v7 and promptly crashes, so I'm losing an important function, the ability to open a session at a click.

This leaves me stuck in time, without any improvement to the software. This was not the case with version 5; I've been able to open the old projects without trouble.

But that's an easy fix, it works like with any other document type on your computer, for the last 20 years (minimum): Right click on it, select "open with" select the proper version, tick the box "always open with this program". This has nothing to do with Mixbus itself.
MMM

P.S.: "without any improvement" is not correct. It's always a mixed bag. This time there was nothing for me in there, but others find the recording window genius for their kind of work, to name but one new feature.
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths