Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bass flow plugin now via SSL
(08-31-2023, 03:21 PM)simonzc Wrote:
(08-31-2023, 03:01 PM)Sojuzstudio Wrote:
(08-31-2023, 02:57 PM)simonzc Wrote: Just checking, you all know that you don't need a USB key to use iLok these days ?
You can just have the license on a drive.

And AVA only, xt plugins remain as normal.

Yes, but then the easy transfer of licenses from one machine to another is lost. And when the hard drive breaks, there is the same recovery problem ahead.

The license can only be in one place at a time, not on many machines, not in many Iloks.

The AVA series are mostly intended for non Mixbus users.

So the same as any other VST, AU etc plugin from Brainworx, Waves or whoever else ?
If you have other brands in your session they won't work unless your collaborators also have a licenced version.

Most iLok plugins makers allow 2 licences on different machines, some allow 3.

Just use Harrison xt plugs and everything is fine if you want to colab with another Mixbus user.

According to SSL iLok FAQ…..

Every SSL plug-in comes with 2x activations.

This means that you can use your SSL plug-ins simultaneously in two locations at once.

For example, you might use one activation on your studio computer and activate the other on your laptop. Or your might use one activation on your studio computer, and activate the other to an iLok USB so you can carry it with you.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(08-31-2023, 12:58 PM)Scardanelli Wrote:
(08-30-2023, 05:11 AM)Sojuzstudio Wrote:
(08-30-2023, 04:11 AM)krans Wrote:
(08-29-2023, 10:32 PM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: Mac and Windows will require iLok for new & updated AVA plugins.

Prior AVA Bass Flow customers will be provided with a free iLok license to replace the old license.  That process isn't in place yet, but I think it is just a few days away.

As much as I liked our old license mechanism, it doesn't meet the needs or expectations of many plugin users.  iLok is an established solution, and it allows for things like timed demos and subscriptions that let you use a plugin temporarily for a project.  In the case of our more expensive plugins like the 'Flow' plugins and the MPC Channel,  many customers want to know that they can install a plugin on a studio machine and safely take it with them, when they go.  Our old licenses didn't provide that kind of security.

At the moment, we have no plans to switch Mixbus to iLok. Personally I have no problems with iLok, but I know it's a controversial topic for some of our users.  So far, by providing free iLok replacement licenses, and retaining our old licensing for linux users who can't access iLok,  SSL has made it a really easy transition.

-Ben at Harrison

I doubt that the partnership will make SSL take a turn towards Linux.
I just really hope it won't affect Harrison's Linux friendly attitude!

What could make Harrison insist on releasing a joint SSL/Harrison plugin or suite or whatever for Linux, and not just as an iLok software?
I'm happy the current AVA plugins aren't affected, but I am a bit conserned about the stuff that's under development or will be developed in the future.

You know, Harrison, we love you in the pro audio Linux community. Your Linux support is one of the reasons I can have the workflow I have, use my studio the way I use it.
Please don't get lost for us!

I really hope that Linux will be included in Harrison's future policy!!

As for ILok, there are only terrible experiences with it. It's something, shouldn't exist. It only increases costs for customers. If it breaks, you have to wait a long time for your license to be returned and send the broken stick to the other side of the world. If you don't want to pay annually for a special service that allows you to use your license quickly in the event of a failure.  Legalized extortion. Why is there a third party in between collecting money for the pockets of the few. And you pay for absolutely nothing. You can keep the licenses with you, for example in a safe. I can assure you that that stick always falls apart before long.
Zero Downtime - iLok insurance is very cheap, less than the cost of the plugin offer. Would you not insure your studio against theft and fire? Same thing.

I don't like iLok a lot but I understand the risk to companies with such a "flexible" licensing approach as Harrison's. Sooner or later they're going to tie that one down, and can you blame them? iLok is probably a more cost-effective method than challenge and response or other means. In any case I have a range of software that uses a range of licensing methods, that's the way it is. I also have most of the SSL Native plugins, have had for years. Never an issue with the iLok.

Insurance? Not exactly. It's more like: If you don't insure yourself with us we will hold back the fire brigade if your studio burns.
More like shop extortion.
MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
Harrison's Mixbus collaboration with Ardour, and Linux support, are prime reasons I use Mixbus. I've used it since MB2.5 and now MB 32C.
If any software needs draconian licensing like iLok, that's a hard no from me. There is so much choice in software these days there is always another option. So many plugins from so many manufacturers are so similar it is always possible to find something close enough without nasty licensing. TBH I reckon the plugin marketplace is so oversaturated it's crazy.
Mixbus 32C, Debian Bookworm/KDE, EVE SC205 + ADAM Sub 8 monitors, Soundcraft Compact 4, M-Audio 2496, i5 6500, 16GB RAM, WD Blue SSD 1TB, 48" LG OLED, other stuff.
Work as house engineer at a popular venue in Melbourne AU. On a quest for the holy grail, the perfect amount of cowbell.

Who would have expected that these kind of partnerships rather support the shareholders than the customers?
I have been a happy Mixbus user and supporter since V1 and lucky enough to not ever have had an issue with iLok,
but I smell trouble with my love of this DAW and I already prepare for a jump.
Maybe this is necessary every 10 or so years.
Mac Pro 5,1 | 6x 3,4Ghz | 48GB | OS X 10.14  | Macbook Pro M1 | 16GB | OS X 14.4 | Metric Halo 2882 3d 
http://www.sounddesign-pro.com
OTOH: We currently have Mixbus v9. The 9.2 update will be released soon. Any licensing change would not be before v10.

So even if v9.2 would be the last version to come, it will perfectly usable at least until some future OS update breaks something. And this will be at least 3-4 years down the road before there really is a hard need to switch.

Heck, I know people still using Pro Tools 10 with an 8 year old Mac today for recording their stuff because it provides all they need.

And when finally the time to upgrade comes in many years, Ardour proper will likely still be a perfectly capable replacement.
(09-01-2023, 07:37 AM)marratj Wrote: OTOH: We currently have Mixbus v9. The 9.2 update will be released soon. Any licensing change would not be before v10.

So even if v9.2 would be the last version to come, it will perfectly usable at least until some future OS update breaks something. And this will be at least 3-4 years down the road before there really is a hard need to switch.

Heck, I know people still using Pro Tools 10 with an 8 year old Mac today for recording their stuff because it provides all they need.

And when finally the time to upgrade comes in many years, Ardour proper will likely still be a perfectly capable replacement.

And the saved upgrade money can be pumped into Ardour donation account. Just because i can. I hope everyone else does too. If the worst happens. But now let's see how customers are listened to in this new company.
Small recordingstudio in Finland countryside. Mixbus 10 Pro, AvLinux AVL-MXe 23.2, Rme UFX+, Rme 802, Adam A77X, Genelec 8020c, Genelec 7050b, Yamaha HS7

I am still a plugin member and pay Harrison a monthly fee. I have all plugins and both DAWS(that I use for different tasks), so it would be cheaper to buy upgrades only. I will continue to pay a monthly fee to support Harrison. Harrison is the only company I know that use open source software and give back to the community by adding functionality to Ardour and contribute to the development of Ardour. Open source development isn't without cost, so by supporting Harrison I also contribute to the development of Ardour. I'm also contribute directly to the Ardour team as well. Not large amount, but steadily every month. 

I really hope that the 'soul' of Harrison will survive this acquisition and that SSL learn something from Harrison and adapt to Harrisons way of conduct rather than push their way of doing things on Harrison and us. I have never used and will never use anything like iLok and I see the 'hate' from iLok users around the Web for that form of license management. Anyway, I'm a linux user as far back as the 90's and will continue to be a linux user, so iLok will never be a problem.

Keep up the good work Harrison.

Steinar

Mixbus Pro 10.0, Kubuntu Linux 64 23.10, Stock Low latency kernel, KXstudio repos, i7-3720QM CPU@2.60GHz, 12 Gb RAM, nvidia GeForce GT 650M/PCIe/SSE2, X.org nouveau driver, Zoom L12 Digital mixer/Audio interface
(08-30-2023, 05:46 AM)marratj Wrote: I'm very straightforward in my handling. When something needs an iLok I simply won't use it.

So even if there currently are no plans to bind Mixbus itself to an iLok, I will be watching this space closely. If Harrison ever decides to bind Mixbus to an iLok as well, the last version without iLok will be the last version I use.

Same for me !!
- Chris -

www.amalvy.com