Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mixbus v3.3.15 -- a FREE update for Mixbus v3 users
It is a pity that the plugins HOFA problems have not yet been repaired ...The problem with the plug-in GUI :-( Waiting .... :-) Thank you for your hard work!
(04-22-2016, 04:49 PM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: @sonnie: our update emails use the same server that our customer-support email uses. Can you please write us at mixbus@harrisonconsoles.com ... if you don't get a response from us, then it indicates our email server isn't talking to yours, and perhaps you should write us from a different email (gmail or whatever) that we can try. Email is 99.9% reliable, but if for some reason your service thinks we are a spammer, then it might not let our emails throught at all. This can be very hard to troubleshoot if your email is provided by a "large" entity that doesn't provide individual service.

Hey Ben,
I'll write you soon. But: 1: this is third time (just for update), 2: we already had some conversation because of bug tracking, 3: I use a private server without a blacklist.
Why don't you create a user area online, with all important files, maybe connected the a bug tracker?
(04-22-2016, 04:46 PM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: Regarding sends, we removed the option "follow the master panner" which was a leftover from the Ardour workstation; we do not intend to make the sends follow the main pan (that's what mixbuses are for).

To me this decision implies that there should be a mono to stereo plugin in the Mixbus Essentials pack unless I'm misunderstanding something.

Could you clarify what the official workflow for sending a panned mono track to a stereo aux track is please?
(04-22-2016, 12:30 PM)brucerothwell Wrote: So, no progress on fixing the issues with:

- Poor performance when using AU plugins? (as opposed to AU plugins in a wrapper like DDMF Metaplugin)
- Multiple Outputs for AU plugins?

If not, are these things at least on the radar?

...always a pleasure to read from polite members...
MMM
(04-23-2016, 01:11 AM)Domino Wrote:
(04-22-2016, 04:46 PM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: Regarding sends, we removed the option "follow the master panner" which was a leftover from the Ardour workstation; we do not intend to make the sends follow the main pan (that's what mixbuses are for).

To me this decision implies that there should be a mono to stereo plugin in the Mixbus Essentials pack unless I'm misunderstanding something.

Since Mixbus never had the "N in -> M out" master panners from Ardour that option never did anything [1] in Mixbus and was only confusing. Nothing has effectively changed, only a less cluttered UI.

(04-23-2016, 01:11 AM)Domino Wrote: Could you clarify what the official workflow for sending a panned mono track to a stereo aux track is please?

I'd use a Mixbus assign.

PS. [1] not strictly true, if you had 2 or more external sends or inserts. That option would have linked panning between those, but independent from the Mixbus panner.
(04-22-2016, 12:30 PM)brucerothwell Wrote: So, no progress on fixing the issues with:

- Poor performance when using AU plugins? (as opposed to AU plugins in a wrapper like DDMF Metaplugin)
- Multiple Outputs for AU plugins?

If not, are these things at least on the radar?

Single-Bus, Multi output is possible in 3.3.15 (e.g. Pianoteq, NI Machine, Kontakt,...)
Multi-Bus, Multi-out (e.g. Addictive Drums) became possible yesterday, hopefully an interim early next week.

Poor performance here happens only with Plugin GUIs that do excessive visualizations that are not Retina ready and on screens with color-correction enabled (enforced since OSX 10.8).
The Plugin keeps rendering and rendering and never gives Mixbus a chance to keep up (in case of Addictive Drums and other Plugins which use the JUCE library, this has been fixed on Feb/12 this year in JUCE, and will likely be available in the next release of the Plugin)

Process separating the plugin (e.g DDMF) is one option. Here moving the Plugin GUI to an external non-retina HDMI screen also helps.
I'm curious if the latter workaround also applies to other machines/systems.
(04-22-2016, 04:00 PM)clintmartin Wrote: EZ Keys still crashes.

I just tied to see what the issue could be. But both EZKeys and EZDrummer work just fine on Window7, 64bit. Mixbus v3.3.15. Demo versions of EZKeys (v1.1.1) and EZDrummer VSTs in both cases.

So either it's the full version of EZ* or a different version of EZKeys, or windows 10, or something specific to your windows 10 system.

(04-23-2016, 05:03 AM)x42 Wrote:
(04-23-2016, 01:11 AM)Domino Wrote: Could you clarify what the official workflow for sending a panned mono track to a stereo aux track is please?

I'd use a Mixbus assign.

So what I asked is not supported?

I've enough zero latency plugins to make using aux tracks for some parallel effects appealing. Typically I want to use it for guitar reverbs on aux tracks which get sent to the same Mixbus as the guitar tracks, so I usually want the send to track the guitars pan.

Having to use an external send and adjust / automate both the track pan and the send pan together is why I currently use a mono to stereo plugin for this scenario.

Sometimes I want the guitar panned left and it's reverb send panned right in which case I have to duplicate the guitar track and use one just for the reverb send (with a Mixbus reverb). External send with no link works ok for aux tracks in this scenario.

The link pan controls option in Ardour was useful in both scenarios and turns two awkward workarounds into a single simple checkbox which gives exactly the functionality I desire with the pan controls doing what I'd expect in both cases with no extra tracks or plugins.

I really don't understand why removing the link pan controls option was seen as a better solution than making it work.

Unfortunately that decision creates a big problem to use my current workflow with mixbus, since I'm using mixbuses as stem outputs for analog summing.

(04-23-2016, 11:20 AM)Domino Wrote: I really don't understand why removing the link pan controls option was seen as a better solution than making it work.

Besides, I cannot understand what benefit could come from removing a feature that's inherent to aux bus behaviour in every analog console, that is to allow pan control of aux sends, specially given the fact that this type of control is already present in the so called external aux sends in Mixbus 3.x

Furthermore, I would add to domino's argument the fact that one would easily run out of mixbusses with something as simple as mixing a 5 piece rock band, if choose to follow the ordinary path of having separate mixbusses for different classes of instruments to allow group EQ/comp/saturation, considering the fact that is a must to use at least 2(long and short) reverbs to place instruments in the vertical axis, + 1 reverb for snare, 1 for vocals, a couple of delays for vox and gits, let alone if you want to use some kind of special FX to spice up your production.

IMHO, aux sends WITH pan control is not a disposable luxury, but instead a absolute necessity in any modern production.
MacMini M1 16gb RAM - MacOS 13.6.6 - Apollo silver +  Apollo 16 silver w/Thunderbolt & Satellite OCTO Thunderbolt - SSL UF8/UC1 - Softube Console 1/Fader - UAD v11.2 - Mixbus 10 Pro ARM
(04-24-2016, 05:59 PM)marcusadv Wrote:

Unfortunately that decision creates a big problem to use my current workflow with mixbus, since I'm using mixbuses as stem outputs for analog summing.

I'm curious. How did you use linked send panners in Mixbus3 in the past, that resulted in a regression.

There should not be any change, since the feature was pretty much a "no-op". The "Ardour" track/bus panner [1] was never accessible in Mixbus, so there was nothing to link the send panners to. Apart from that, the Ardour's panners follow a different pan law than the Mixbus channelstrip balance/panner.

[1] http://manual.ardour.org/mixing/panning/stereo_panner/