Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ACE Compressor - Release Speed
I would still argue that "Release" indicates a final processing in the "Compressor Envelope",
and that "Sustain" is a specified time to continue compression before the actual Release function is executed.

So, in the standard dynamics envelope, "S" corresponds to a pre-Release sustained level and,
in the compressor envelope, "S" corresponds to a pre-release sustained time.

I think it would be interesting to plot out an "Ultimate Compressor" response envelope and label all of its points of change.
Just to reference for future discussion!!

Cheers!
Patrick
So, a complete ducking compressor would have:
  • threshold
  • attack time (point)
  • attack gradient (knee)
  • ratio
  • ceiling (maximum db from which on it starts limiting)
  • release time (point)
  • release gradient
Ideally it has a buit-in inverse level control for the side chain signal as well because you want quiet signals to duck the background more than loud signals. That's at least another four controls.

Surely not a tool for a beginner Smile

MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
(02-05-2021, 08:46 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote: So, a complete ducking compressor would have:
  • threshold
  • attack time (point)
  • attack gradient (knee)
  • ratio
  • ceiling (maximum db from which on it starts limiting)
  • release time (point)
  • release gradient
Ideally it has a buit-in inverse level control for the side chain signal as well because you want quiet signals to duck the background more than loud signals. That's at least another four controls.

Surely not a tool for a beginner Smile

MMM

Who said that life should be easy!   Smile

...and as a minimum, add the sidechain input as well (I know you know it, but I'm an a-hole today)!   :-)
Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox
We may be witnessing the making of something awesome here!

Cheers!
Patrick
(02-06-2021, 04:34 PM)PBuryk Wrote: We may be witnessing the making of something awesome here!

I imagine it like this here:

Happy Sunday everyone! Smile
MMM
Linux throughout!

May have missed something, but I'm using the ACE compressor a bunch this week and it has a release knob, exactly as you are requesting. VST2 version, Mac.
(02-11-2021, 03:42 AM)Flagfoot Wrote: May have missed something, but I'm using the ACE compressor a bunch this week and it has a release knob, exactly as you are requesting. VST2 version, Mac.

I want to control the time from it starts to let go (the release time parameter) until the compressor has finished that completely (look at the image I attached earlier). The release knob sets the time from where the compressor turns on until it starts to release the compressing (or starts to fade out from the release point is if I can put it another way), which is hardcoded in most (maybe all?) compressors.

The hold parameter in some compressors is probably the closest thing to this, but this parameter is automated, based on the threshold as far as I know.

I was a little surprised at how difficult it is to understand this concept on this thread, but the confusion is understandable when considering that many are using the term release speed when we are talking about release time, sometimes in the same articles and tutorials. I guess that the right word for my request is actually released speed, but as I mentioned, many people will then probably think that is what the release button does.
I don't get what you need, too. Compressor is triggert by threshold, level gets over it, time till it gets compressed is attack. Signal falls below threshold. First optional hold time starts, so time without any change, after it compression falls of in a time to normal again this is called release. so wich time period do I miss out, which you mean? Every Compressors release knob does controll this release I mentioned. Perhaps you should do a drawing which time you mean, pictures could carry it better Big Grin
2023 Mac mini m2pro with 32GB RAM with audient id44mk2
(02-11-2021, 06:22 AM)arthie Wrote: I don't get what you need, too. Compressor is triggert by threshold, level gets over it, compression starts, time till it gets to full compression is attack. Signal falls below threshold. First optional hold time starts, so time without any change, after it compression falls of in a time to normal again this is called release. so wich time period do I miss out, which you mean? Every Compressors release knob does controll this release I mentioned. Perhaps you should do a drawing which time you mean, pictures could carry it better Big Grin

Release time is the point in time after the signal fell below treshold, once reached the compressor lets go immediately. Jostein wants a control which sets the time span in which the compressor releases after the release time point has been reached - you could compare that with the knee control for the onset.

MMM

PS "attack" is exactly the same: it sets the point in time when the compressor kicks in after reaching treshold, the actual time span it takes to reach full compression is closely (although not exactly) what's called "knee"
Linux throughout!

(02-11-2021, 06:30 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote: Release time is the point in time after the signal fell below treshold, once reached the compressor lets go immediately. Jostein wants a control which sets the time span in which the compressor releases after the release time point has been reached - you could compare that with the knee control for the onset.

MMM

PS "attack" is exactly the same: it sets the point in time when the compressor kicks in after reaching treshold, the actual time span it takes to reach full compression is closely (although not exactly) what's called "knee"

Spot on (I hope)!   Smile