Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixbus 6.2.70 crashes when loading any included plugins
Running Mixbus 32-C version 6.2.70 on a PC running Windows 8.1.

Attempting to insert any LV2 plugins crashes the program. This goes for Mixbus32C and regular Mixbus. Both version 6.2.70.

I opened a previous session that had a combination of third party and LV2 plugs, and that opened fine, but as soon as I tried to add any it crashed.

Tried clearing the VST cache and rescanning and even rebooting the PC. No good.

Any of my third party VST3 or VST2 plugs work. But all the XT series or Ardour plugs that came with Mixbus crash the program.
Additional observations....
Ran the same version of Mixbus on an older laptop and it ran fine. Was able to open all plugins. One of the primary differences between the laptop and this workstation is the graphics.
The laptop uses Intel HD graphics. The workstation, I'm finding out, does have Intel HD graphics on board; BUT it's not using the Intel HD drivers. It's falling back to the generic Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver. Turns out Gigabyte (the motherboard manufacturer) does not have Windows 8.1 drivers for this motherboard.

Could this be the source of the issue?

I managed to scrounge an Nvidia Quadro graphics card. Thinking of installing it just to see if something that has its own drivers will help.

It's either that or drop $140 to install Windows 10, which I don't want to do because I actually like 8.1 better.
@CurtZHP ... in your earlier post you mention opening a previous session that had LV2 in it... so does that imply your system has been working OK and it now is not... or are you trying to get a new system working using a old session from another machine ?
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(01-01-2021, 09:17 PM)Dingo Wrote: @CurtZHP ... in your earlier post you mention opening a previous session that had LV2 in it... so does that imply your system has been working OK and it now is not... or are you trying to get a new system working using a old session from another machine ?

Sorry about that. I was so confused myself I had to go back and try it all again.

New machine. The session in which I discovered this problem is a brand new session. In the course of troubleshooting, I opened an older session that originated on my previous machine. That was still running version 6.1.xxx, so the session had the older version of the Ardour plugs (i.e. a-Reverb, a-Delay instead of the newer ACE prefix). When I open that older session on the new machine, those older version plugs still appear, and I can open them to make adjustments. But, if I try to add any new Ardour or XT-series plugs, it crashes.

So, basically, since the upgrade to 6.2.70 on the new machine, opening any included plug crashes it. Third party stuff opens just fine.

Here's a new wrinkle....
I can drag any of the included plugs from my favorites list to a track, and then right click on the plug in the track and select "Edit with generic controls" and that works without crashing the program.

It would seem the program is having a problem drawing the graphics for the included plugins. If I double-click on a plugin to open its window, the window appears with nothing in it, hangs there for a few seconds, then I get the Windows crash message.

That's why I'm suspicious of the graphics driver on this new system.
(01-01-2021, 10:10 PM)CurtZHP Wrote: So, basically, since the upgrade to 6.2.70 on the new machine, opening any included plug crashes it

Are they the same 'type' of plugin for both versions? Or were they previously showing as (say) LV2 and they're now showing as VST maybe? I think there's a setting somewhere for some types of plugin to hide other types - so maybe the plugin name's the same but the actual type got changed??
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
(01-02-2021, 06:14 AM)johne53 Wrote: Are they the same 'type' of plugin for both versions? Or were they previously showing as (say) LV2 and they're now showing as VST maybe? I think there's a setting somewhere for some types of plugin to hide other types - so maybe the plugin name's the same but the actual type got changed??

All VST or VST3 plugs open fine. Even ones with really elaborate graphics.
Any Lua plugin opens fine.
Any LV2 or XT-series plugin crashes the program if it's opened using the Plugin Manager, or if it's double-clicked from the channel strip.

Dragging them into the channel strip from the Favorites list or Plugin Manager and using the "edit with generic controls" option seems to be the workaround at this point. Double clicking on any LV2 or XT plug will crash Mixbus.

I'm aware of the setting you referred to in the Plugins page of Preferences. Tried it. Didn't work.

By the way, this is happening in Mixbus 6 as well as Mixbus 32C-6.
I created a simple session with only 2 mono tracks including two audios.
Created a bus for those tracks and sent them to the new bus.
i inserted 2 ACE compressors , mono versions, on each one. when i try to open the compressor Mixbus crashes...did this 3 times.

Mixbus 6.2.70 (rev 6.2-70-g7719e12)
Windows 10 64 bits - 1909
Portaudio using ASIO4ALL @ 48KHz ( i didnt have my audio interface close to me, running a laptop for tests)
(01-02-2021, 01:32 PM)pepe44 Wrote: I created a simple session with only 2 mono tracks including two audios.
i inserted 2 ACE compressors , mono versions, on each one. when i try to open the compressor Mixbus crashes...did this 3 times.

Portaudio using ASIO4ALL @ 48KHz ( i didnt have my audio interface close to me, running a laptop for tests)

Good to know that updating to Windows 10 won't fix it before I spent the money!

Did you try right-clicking on the compressor and selecting "Edit with generic controls?"
(01-02-2021, 02:59 PM)CurtZHP Wrote:
(01-02-2021, 01:32 PM)pepe44 Wrote: I created a simple session with only 2 mono tracks including two audios.

Good to know that updating to Windows 10 won't fix it before I spent the money!

Did you try right-clicking on the compressor and selecting "Edit with generic controls?"

It works indeed, using the generic controls. So what is the cause of the crash ?
Graphical issues ?
(01-02-2021, 03:04 PM)pepe44 Wrote: It works indeed, using the generic controls. So what is the cause of the crash ?
Graphical issues ?

That's my theory so far. But the fact that you are having the same problem on a completely different system has me wondering.

A couple questions for you....
1. What happens in your session when you try XT-series plugins?
2. What graphics card/driver is your system using?