Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VST3 ?
I'm not here to bang on or demand a timeline - it will be ready when its ready. I am here however to support the case.

As many of you may now be aware, Reason Studios has released Reason Rack Plugin (RRP), which means that many Reason devices can run as a VST in other DAWs making it a more attractive option across the market.

Here's the thing though - the RRP is a VST3. That means, that once Harrison Mixbus has VST3 support, it opens itself to be able to use a myriad of Reason Rack Extension devices hitherto unavailable in the VST ecosystem at all.

Right now, Reason Rack Extension devices can be run in Ableton Live, FL Studio (Windows), Studio One, Cubase, Reaper and Bitwig.

So roll on MB the ability to host this insane new library of devices as VST3. What this means for me is I will finally be able to use Mixbus for recording/tracking etc (not just mixdown) - eg - as my only DAW.
I'm a long time ProTools user, who made the jump to Mixbus during COVID because I finally had time between projects to play with a new system. I love the way it sounds, and actually have come to like the editing workflow as well. However, I actually registered an account here because of this VST3 issue.

I have been working on a number of projects lately that have needed pitch correction, which is a new problem for me. I've been fortunate in my career to seldom require this. My existing Waves plugins include WavesTune light, which works ok, but has some time and feature limitations, and has otherwise not quite 100% impressed me. I'm not thrilled enough with that interface to purchase the "full" version, so I sought out one of the industry standards, Melodyne. I bought the essential version because that should open the can enough for me to see if it does what I need. Read the disclaimer about VST3 only, and thought to myself, "No biggie. VST3 was released in 2012, VST2 hasn't been supported since 2018, this seems logical." Didn't even think to check if Mixbus could handle it. It's a full-featured DAW, should be no issue.

Plugin doesn't show up in the menu. I double check the install locations and discover that their default path isn't included in my plugin folder. No biggie, add it and rescan. Still no love. Head on out to the internet and start searching. Found a different thread that hasn't been active as recently on here about not having VST3 support, VST2 only. Bummer. Had to get the project done, so exported stems of the channels that needed tuning and used their standalone interface. Sounded great. I would REALLY love to be able to slap that plugin on a channel and just use it without all the intermediary steps.

I would ditch PC for Linux entirely, but Audinate seems to refuse to incorporate Dante support, and most of my work comes off a Yamaha QL series console. Dante is just amazingly convenient with the various Rednet AM2's we're using for headphones, and AVIO devices. Of course Melodyne doesn't support Linux either so then you have to go down that slippery WINE/alternatives road. Because I'm late to the Melodyne party, I don't have a prior license for version 4 that I can just roll back and miss out on some new features. Mac is not the answer. I've done 20+ years without one: my wallet couldn't be happier, and my clients have never known the difference. I spend enough time solving problems on the Macs that our graphics/video team insists on using to know that making that switch won't solve anything, just create a new set of headaches.

I realize this particular thread had some heated moments and I'm not trying to re-open those, but I would like to add my input to the request for VST3 support in the sooner than later category. Thanks in advance for reading!
Hi pngaudioguy, welcome to the Mixbus forum.
VST3 support is on the road map and very high on the list.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
@pngaudioguy -
Welcome to Mixbus and the Mixbus Forum!
I enjoyed your post, mainly for your observations of the different platforms and
support or lack of product support of each. I, too, would like to use some VST3
based plugins but am happy to wait until Harrison has decided that all (3) Mixbus
release platforms (MSWin, Linux & Mac) have integrated them properly.
My primary Mixbus DAW is running Linux. I also have a MSWin10 based version running so
that I can support some client studios. Because of my decision, I have had my share
of disappointment because certain products are not available for use on Linux; being
Mac only, MSWin only or Mac/MSWin only. But, as highly rated as they are, I've come
to the attitude - Fkem. There are so many other ways to get things done using what
is available for Linux that I will continue to go that route. And, for what I need that
is not available for Linux I will do on MSWin - but spending only what I absolutely
need to do there and not a dime more.
As you discovered, processing stems over on another DAW/platform works to get
that particular job done and, for pitch correction/ auto-tuning that is not a common
requirement doesn't really impact your general workflow. When it becomes a
daily need then the story changes a bit. Any pitch changing I've had to do so far
has been accomplished via the Pitch correction feature that is currently part of the
Mixbus Region editor menu. There are also some other pitch-correction plugins that
are included in Mixbus. My present feeling is if they can't correct the passage that
needs tweaking then the track should to be redone by the performer. If that isn't
possible then I will spend the $$ on a better plugin that runs on MSWin and up the
production cost to the customer (I'm a Mix Engineer, Not an Aural Surgeon, Jim!).

Anyway... As Dingo has already reported (many times), VST3 is "on the road map"
as a top priority. In the meantime, enjoy the current fabulous capabilities of MB and
MB32C (whichever you have chosen) - it really is more enjoyable than PT.

Cheers!
Patrick
(10-01-2020, 10:47 AM)pngaudioguy Wrote: I would ditch PC for Linux entirely, but Audinate seems to refuse to incorporate Dante support, and most of my work comes off a Yamaha QL series console. Dante is just amazingly convenient with the various Rednet AM2's we're using for headphones, and AVIO devices.
Audinate recently announced "Ross DashBoard control software support for remote signal status and configuration, on Windows, macOS and Linux"

https://www.audinate.com/news/press-rele...dio-bridge

That might indicate their future directions.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(10-01-2020, 07:37 PM)Dingo Wrote: https://www.audinate.com/news/press-rele...dio-bridge
That might indicate their future directions.

As much as I wish... but this is only the Dashboard by Ross... which was always free.
As an example, I can control my MOTU from Linux thanks to its built-in web browser. That doesn't make them support Linux, in fact later firmware releases ceased to be class compliant and make the unit unusable without their Mac/Windows drivers. Proper class compliance and Linux connectivity were only a "byproduct".
I'm afraid Audinate are the same. They were when I beta-tested for them years ago and there's no sign of change. Sadly.

MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
Download and install Element, it hosts 32/64 bit VST2 & 3.

https://kushview.net/element/download/
VST3 support for Mixbus has been released.... http://forum.harrisonconsoles.com/thread-9618.html
(11-11-2020, 05:27 PM)Dingo Wrote: VST3 support for Mixbus has been released.... http://forum.harrisonconsoles.com/thread-9618.html

This is awesome news - thank you so much!

To the others, thank you for your comments as well. I'm definitely enjoying working on MixBus a lot. I chose the non 32C version, and it has been more than ample for my needs. I've even been doing almost all my tracking and editing straight to it as it simplifies things later. I was exporting stems for the musicians that needed tuning, but it looks like I won't be doing that much anymore Big Grin
(11-11-2020, 05:27 PM)Dingo Wrote: VST3 support for Mixbus has been released.... http://forum.harrisonconsoles.com/thread-9618.html

So far only three of my vst3 plug-ins work, the Klaghelm ones. None of the T-rax ones. Only if they have the dll extension not vst3