Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mixbus vs. Cubase vs. SSL - Sound Comparison (Audio Page 7)
So as we know that Mixbus sounds better as Cubase out of the box,
some comparisons using SSL Plug-Ins.

It's on Page 7
Interesting.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

All I know is that anytime I have to go back and use Pro Tools now it sounds horrible to me.
[quote='atlasrecrd' pid='49573' dateline='1586585142']

But how can I work if a QconPro G2 behave like this:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Sjh38ns...zfFhc/view
It's only with Mixbus, works fine in all other DAW's.
I tried endlessly calibration work - no result.

It's solved now. Mixbus wrote for unknown reason the jittering automation. I delete all automation, calibrate all faders to 185, and now it's fine. (These endless time for scientific work).
I like Mixbus, mainly for there mixer set-up (besides the limited groups, which is plane silly). But I use Cubase now days., Because Mixbus 4 had a lot of errors with Waves H-serie plugins. And therefore was unstable.

Like to give Mixbus 6 a try, but I think Cubase 10 pro is milis ahead in other features like: audio wrap, tuning, snapshots integration, midi workflow. So the sound I can get with lots of different Plug-in options. But I do miss the mixer workflows
Software: Mixbus 5, Mixbus 32C 3, Waves and Harrisson plugins. Cubase 10 Pro.
Hardware: APB Dynasonics Pro desk 4, Allen heath Ice 16, Mindprint envoice, Mindprint T comp.
Laptop Model: Asus GL 5522VW i7 6700 HQ CPU @ 2.6, 16 GB ram, 64 bit Windows 10, GeForce GTX 960M
(04-13-2020, 02:55 PM)csvk Wrote: I like Mixbus, mainly for there mixer set-up (besides the limited groups, which is plane silly). But I use Cubase now days., Because Mixbus 4 had a lot of errors with Waves H-serie plugins. And therefore was unstable.

Like to give Mixbus 6 a try, but I think Cubase 10 pro is milis ahead in other features like: audio wrap, tuning, snapshots integration, midi workflow. So the sound I can get with lots of different Plug-in options. But I do miss the mixer workflows

Waves Plug-Ins gave me a lot of trouble under windows too.
Do I really need them?
The On-Board Tools of Mixbus and optional Plug-Ins give me all I need. They sound fantastic. I can record vst instruments directly as a wave file. Great. Cubase is just a Tool box for recording. Mixbus is real Audio Engineering. If you spend as an Audio Engineer half of your life behind an analog console (in my case 3 DDA AMR24 desks) you will love Mixbus 32C. With a 5K Retina Mac, its a dream.
Quote:The On-Board Tools of Mixbus and optional Plug-Ins give me all I need. They sound fantastic. I can record vst instruments directly as a wave file. Great. Cubase is just a Tool box for recording. Mixbus is real Audio Engineering. If you spend as an Audio Engineer half of your life behind an analog console (in my case 3 DDA AMR24 desks) you will love Mixbus 32C.
Hi Till, I confirm every word that you said, but for some work, example arrangement of soundtrack for video games or film, the editing in Cubase 10.5.x via VST Expression is to another world. Every tools fit for one reason.
Now that I have the 32c-v6 from previous version v3, the next step is put Cubase&MixBus together. In past, few years ago, I did it with Logic X but how to Steinberg use Core Audio it's a bit different because they have a small layer abstraction to put VST ASIO into Core Audio.
I love Mixbus32c, It is the thing that comes closest to the sound of a console, but only if you MIX with this. I remastered my last soundtrack and for make this I put the stereo mix into one channel for use the Filter section, routed into a mixbus for use the tape saturation drive, routed into masterbus section. Only using the entire path of Mixbus you can hear the differences. From Filter section to dynamic section torus section to master section... I forgot, the pan control WORKS into Space, amazing feeling.

Thank you
Harrison Mixbus 32c v9, Cubase 12, Reaper, Wavelab 11, macOS 13.3. Apple Mac mini M1 16GB Ram 512GB SSD. Many Plugins,Instruments and Gadgets.
(04-14-2020, 05:39 AM)Absolutely Last Efx Wrote: Hi Till, I confirm every word that you said, but for some work, example arrangement of soundtrack for video games or film, the editing in Cubase 10.5.x via VST Expression is to another world. Every tools fit for one reason.
Now that I have the 32c-v6 from previous version v3, the next step is put Cubase&MixBus together. In past, few years ago, I did it with Logic X but how to Steinberg use Core Audio it's a bit different because they have a small layer abstraction to put VST ASIO into Core Audio.
I love Mixbus32c, It is the thing that comes closest to the sound of a console, but only if you MIX with this. I remastered my last soundtrack and for make this I put the stereo mix into one channel for use the Filter section, routed into a mixbus for use the tape saturation drive, routed into masterbus section. Only using the entire path of Mixbus you can hear the differences. From Filter section to dynamic section torus section to master section... I forgot, the pan control WORKS into Space, amazing feeling.

Thank you

I use Nuendo 10 as I'm working in the dubbing industry here in Germany. The ADR Function is essential for me. But if it comes to music, the destination is to get the best sound. I never got such a good sound out of the box as with Mixbus. EQ's in 32C are amazing. Latency problems are obviously solved in V6 but I have to get more recording experience to come to a final conclusion.
Anyone done an "invert and sum" comparison between Mixbus and any other audio app? Or between MB and MB 32C?
----
Mini 2018 32G i7, OS X 14.6, MB32C7, DP 10.13, Logic 10.5, Focusrite 18i8
(04-16-2020, 07:08 PM)bayswater Wrote: Anyone done an "invert and sum" comparison between Mixbus and any other audio app? Or between MB and MB 32C?

Audio By Sam on YouTube

https://youtu.be/_HopuC1CmWM

(04-10-2020, 08:32 AM)Till Wrote: I picked some nice stems from the Telefunken studio.
In both DAW's I just used the On-Board Tools.
With Mixbus I used also the Tools in the Demo mode (But functional).

I used nearly the same settings for EQ.

Cubase 10.5
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DhHcOkG...sp=sharing

Mixbus 32C V6
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PGWzeUM...sp=sharing

Judge by yourself.
In Mixbus, I do and hear different thinks. Same as you would compose a different melody if you use a guitar or a banjo.

Conclusion: Dear Mr. Harrison, get the damned QCon devices working and we are best friends.

Thanks for sharing the audio files, I appreciate it. I find the difference not to as subtle I suspected. It seems the processing makes the difference, not summing the engine itself.

I think the power of Mixbus lies in the workflow. Not sure how the channel-strip holds up against new releases of channel-strips.

Still I like Cubase more for the functionality, though as some others said, Mixbus 'feels' more as a analog console.
Software: Mixbus 5, Mixbus 32C 3, Waves and Harrisson plugins. Cubase 10 Pro.
Hardware: APB Dynasonics Pro desk 4, Allen heath Ice 16, Mindprint envoice, Mindprint T comp.
Laptop Model: Asus GL 5522VW i7 6700 HQ CPU @ 2.6, 16 GB ram, 64 bit Windows 10, GeForce GTX 960M