Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mixbus vs. Cubase vs. SSL - Sound Comparison (Audio Page 7)
[/quote]

I find the difference not to as subtle I suspected.
[/quote]

Really? For me there are worlds in between.
iMac 5K Retina, i7, 32GB RAM, 512GB Flash, Catalina; Harrison Mixbus 32Cv6; Nuendo 10; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20; Qcon Pro G2; Genelec 8020A & 7040APM

I find the difference not to as subtle I suspected.
[/quote]

Really? For me there are worlds in between.
[/quote]

That is what I mean. I thought it would be much more subtle. But It's not. I guess this is because it's quite difficult to match both DAW's EQ's. I think the main difference is because of that.
Software: Mixbus 5, Mixbus 32C 3, Waves and Harrisson plugins. Cubase 10 Pro.
Hardware: APB Dynasonics Pro desk 4, Allen heath Ice 16, Mindprint envoice, Mindprint T comp.
Laptop Model: Asus GL 5522VW i7 6700 HQ CPU @ 2.6, 16 GB ram, 64 bit Windows 10, GeForce GTX 960M
I think that the correct and more honest way to compare is to load the files in both daws, leave the faders and knobs all to zero, modifying the volumes from the gain of each region (do the same in both daw for each channel) and export them from this way, without adding compression or eq and in case of adding it, it should be with third-party products and in the same measure in the different daw.
(04-18-2020, 04:10 PM)waltermente Wrote: I think that the correct and more honest way

Makes sense to compare workflow/decisions/time to perform any given operation.
As humans we mostly look for "better solution" of the problem with a product, isnt it?

Is Mixbus DAW solves the problem of creating a good mix faster, better, easier, cheaper, more fun than competitors?
Windows 7 x64 SP1
Mixbus 32C 7.1.92
(04-19-2020, 03:28 AM)Andy76 Wrote: Is Mixbus DAW solves the problem of creating a good mix faster, better, easier, cheaper, more fun than competitors?

The answer for me is clearly:

YES
iMac 5K Retina, i7, 32GB RAM, 512GB Flash, Catalina; Harrison Mixbus 32Cv6; Nuendo 10; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20; Qcon Pro G2; Genelec 8020A & 7040APM
(04-18-2020, 04:10 PM)waltermente Wrote: I think that the correct and more honest way to compare is to load the files in both daws, leave the faders and knobs all to zero, modifying the volumes from the gain of each region (do the same in both daw for each channel) and export them from this way, without adding compression or eq and in case of adding it, it should be with third-party products and in the same measure in the different daw.

That's the equivalent of comparing a passenger car to a tractor, by removing everything from the car that the tractor doesn't have.
The productivity of Mixbus is exactly because of the built in knob-per-function channel strips, they are an organic part of the software and make your mixing faster than with other products where you spend a lot of time to add the functionality via plugin. And on top of that is the summing engine which behaves "analogue" when driven.

MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
(04-19-2020, 07:26 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(04-18-2020, 04:10 PM)waltermente Wrote: I think that the correct and more honest way to compare is to load the files in both daws, leave the faders and knobs all to zero, modifying the volumes from the gain of each region (do the same in both daw for each channel) and export them from this way, without adding compression or eq and in case of adding it, it should be with third-party products and in the same measure in the different daw.

That's the equivalent of comparing a passenger car to a tractor, by removing everything from the car that the tractor doesn't have.
The productivity of Mixbus is exactly because of the built in knob-per-function channel strips, they are an organic part of the software and make your mixing faster than with other products where you spend a lot of time to add the functionality via plugin. And on top of that is the summing engine which behaves "analogue" when driven.

MMM

So what you are comparing is functionality, NOT SOUND. You should change the title of this thread.
(04-19-2020, 10:10 AM)waltermente Wrote: So what you are comparing is functionality, NOT SOUND. You should change the title of this thread.

I use Mixbus 100% for the sound.

Why are people so threatened by a DAW not sounding like all the others?
Win10pro(2004) : i7 8700/RX570 8gb/16gb/970evo : RME PCIe Multiface : Mixbus 32c 4.3 & 7.2
Other DAWs: Logic 10.4 (MacBook) Cubase 10.5 (PC)
Music: https://jamielang.bandcamp.com
(04-19-2020, 01:09 PM)JamieLang Wrote:
(04-19-2020, 10:10 AM)waltermente Wrote: So what you are comparing is functionality, NOT SOUND. You should change the title of this thread.

I use Mixbus 100% for the sound.

Why are people so threatened by a DAW not sounding like all the others?

If you load some stems into Cubase or in Mixbus - they sound equal.
Once you touch the EQ of Cubase, it sounds dull and flat.
In Mixbus nice and airy.
Actually, IME, if your "stems" are mono and pan them where you want them, they will not sound the same. Wish they did. Man I wouldn't use Mixbus.

My question is why is anyone threatened by the fact that it sounds different? That's actually the only angle I see is competitors who WANT it to be about stability and function. But, do they plant people here to endlessly debate crap? I doubt it...there must be some angle I'm not getting.
Win10pro(2004) : i7 8700/RX570 8gb/16gb/970evo : RME PCIe Multiface : Mixbus 32c 4.3 & 7.2
Other DAWs: Logic 10.4 (MacBook) Cubase 10.5 (PC)
Music: https://jamielang.bandcamp.com