Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mixbus vs. Cubase vs. SSL - Sound Comparison (Audio Page 7)
Still this no sense thread is going on?
Let's compare a tree to a pancake! Both consists of protons, neutrons and electrons...
GeeeeSad(((
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
(04-20-2020, 12:09 PM)Tassy Wrote: Still this no sense thread is going on?
Let's compare a tree to a pancake! Both consists of protons, neutrons and electrons...
GeeeeSad(((
Tassy... you are correct. But I do like maple syrup on my pancakes.Cool
Win10 64 i5 3330 Quad Core, AVL/MXE i5, MB 3-9, MB32C 3-9, Tascam US 20x20(2), Tascam 388, Alesis HD24, Alesis ML 9600(2), A&H GL2400, Soundcraft Studio Spirit 24, Roland Integra7, Roland S-50, M-Audio Hammer 88, ART/ MPA Gold/ TPSII/Pro Channel(2)/Pro VLA(3), lots of tubes
(04-20-2020, 10:33 AM)doncolga Wrote: What song is this from Telefunken? I'd like to drop this into my DAWs and give a listen.

Escaper Galaxy
iMac 5K Retina, i7, 32GB RAM, 512GB Flash, Catalina; Harrison Mixbus 32Cv6; Nuendo 10; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20; Qcon Pro G2; Genelec 8020A & 7040APM
(04-20-2020, 02:16 PM)Till Wrote:
(04-20-2020, 10:33 AM)doncolga Wrote: What song is this from Telefunken? I'd like to drop this into my DAWs and give a listen.

Escaper Galaxy

The Holy Grail of stems for Remix Orgies.

The Telefunken Studio
So if the stems sound bad, its the band not the recording.
https://www.telefunken-elektroakustik.co...b-season-3

Scroll down a bit. Tons of stems. (Not always good recording)
http://cambridge-mt.com/ms/mtk/#MagiciansNephew
iMac 5K Retina, i7, 32GB RAM, 512GB Flash, Catalina; Harrison Mixbus 32Cv6; Nuendo 10; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20; Qcon Pro G2; Genelec 8020A & 7040APM
(04-21-2020, 07:43 AM)Till Wrote: The Telefunken Studio
So if the stems sound bad, its the band not the recording.
https://www.telefunken-elektroakustik.co...b-season-3

Scroll down a bit. Tons of stems. (Not always good recording)
http://cambridge-mt.com/ms/mtk/#MagiciansNephew

Not trying to drag you down here or offend you, but these are multi-tracks, not stems and I did not bother to check Escaper (Galaxy) even when I was interested in them before I realized that they are actually real multi-tracks. The reason is that stems generally don't give me anything when I try to improve my mixing or widen my horizons. Now, I've downloaded them and will mix them when I got time.

Thanks for pointing to the Telefunken Studio, it's a long time since I was there and I had completely forgotten about it, it's so much good stuff there!
Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox
(04-22-2020, 12:56 PM)Jostein Wrote: Not trying to drag you down here or offend you, but these are multi-tracks, not stems ..

I see. That's why Cubase and Mixbus are calling the Export of multitrack Stem Export.
(04-23-2020, 03:42 AM)Till Wrote:
(04-22-2020, 12:56 PM)Jostein Wrote: Not trying to drag you down here or offend you, but these are multi-tracks, not stems ..

I see. That's why Cubase and Mixbus are calling the Export of multitrack Stem Export.
It's semantics. I consider the terms fairly vaguely defined and mostly interchangeable.
Mixbus 32C, Debian Bookworm/KDE, EVE SC205 + ADAM Sub 8 monitors, Soundcraft Compact 4, M-Audio 2496, i5 6500, 16GB RAM, WD Blue SSD 1TB, 48" LG OLED, other stuff.
Work as house engineer at a popular venue in Melbourne AU. On a quest for the holy grail, the perfect amount of cowbell.

(04-23-2020, 06:48 AM)sunrat Wrote:
(04-23-2020, 03:42 AM)Till Wrote:

It's semantics. I consider the terms fairly vaguely defined and mostly interchangeable.

It's not vaguely defined at all. Stem files are collections of related tracks, ie. all the drums in one stereo file, all the guitars in one and keys in one (or both guitars and keys together in one), bass in one (!), backing vocals, and sometimes even reverb of the tracks and so on.

Try for example to deliver multi-tracks to a TV-station (or a customer who wants a TV-Mix) when they ask for stems and you are probably lost.

However, many people are not aware of it and I understand that stems have become a buzz word lately when it is multi-tacks that it should be.

One must always elaborate with the client when they ask for stems but usually not because they do not know the difference. The reason is that they want diffrent stems and files for backing tracks, radio and TV.
Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox
As Till wrote, "Stem Export" in Mixbus allows individual tracks or mixbusses to be exported with the option to "Apply track/bus processing". So stems in Mixbus are not necessarily stems?
And apparently Cubase is the same. That's what I define as "vaguely defined". And that's why you have to ask clients what they define as stems or multitracks.
Mixbus 32C, Debian Bookworm/KDE, EVE SC205 + ADAM Sub 8 monitors, Soundcraft Compact 4, M-Audio 2496, i5 6500, 16GB RAM, WD Blue SSD 1TB, 48" LG OLED, other stuff.
Work as house engineer at a popular venue in Melbourne AU. On a quest for the holy grail, the perfect amount of cowbell.

I'm with Jostein here. That's what's defined in the industry and taught in audio schools. Someone deviating from the standard doesn't make it legit.
And also, if you have only one guitar track that will be also your guitar stem. That could be a reason why DAWs allow to export single tracks as stem, plus, how does the DAW know your intentions?
It's the engineer's job to be accurate.

just my 2 (autistic) cents
MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths