Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will you be mad if the authoriser is ilok?
I was thinking, time to time I uninstall my OS and sometime I might change the OS. During this time the activation key might work and sometimes it doesn't. From all this hustle, What if the activation is online oriented using ilok or another method. Steinberg has its own, Plugin alliance has its own, propellerheads has its own e.t.c . So I was looking forward to it as long as I don't use a dongle. The reason I don't like dongles are cause i'm not in the US. It will be hard going to get them and after I got them, they will take up the space of my usb port. Which is full.
I change (linux)os quite often on my laptop and i have always used the same licence-file. It's true that sometimes the licence file is not recognised, which i basically solve in changing it from a hidden fileto a non hidden file or vice versa. I never asked harrison to send me a new one. Some kind of low-level-geekery always did the trick.
I personally dont think that online activation is the way to go, as a lot of us won't allow internet access to their studio machine. For me, the licence-file is no problem.
But there was already a thread about ilok and most of the mb-users are opposed to that, me included.
Mixbus / Linux 64bit
I feel embarrassed when I ask ben to send me the activation key time after time that's why I came up with this Idea. If they don't get bored of me, That's ok with me. I love the activation method.
ilock is a no use,
does not make any software safer, I get sick of thinking of re-installing all my gear time by time just because I improve my PC or some hardware goes wrong in it and have to change.
A key or key file can be stored and used well.

I hate also if I cannot install something without connecting the computer to the internet.

If I have to buy an OS for my PC and have to buy another one for my laptop it is the same that I have to buy a car to go shopping I have to buy another car to go to a concert and have to by another if I go to the seaside etc.
I buy an drill machine and I cannot use it in my sisters house? An audio interface to record jazz and I have to buy another interface to record rock?
All crazy marketing ideas, make me sick.Sad(((
+1 Tassy BTW you make me laugh Brother.
i hate ilok,it would be a no go for me
Some softwares allow to choose either iLok or computer-related licences (I believe it's the case at Izotope for instance), this might be a good compromise? Another possibility is to store the licence on a USB key in a non-exclusive way: my Waves, Plugin Alliance and Nomad Factory licences for instance share the same key with no issue whatsoever. Plus, licence keys of all sorts can share a hub if necessary (I often heard rumours it wouldn't work with Steinberg keys and/or iLoks, but it actually does)...
I thought it was already stated that Ilok won't be used, am i wrong ? I don't think that Ilok would be cross-platform anyway (Linux).
My opinion on ilok as a tool is degrading its inventor, and degrades also the software producers that use it.
I am absolutely sure that, based on the unique high level the Harrison MB support has been, it will not degrade itself to that level.
Tassy
Wow. I'm no fan of ilok, but it does have some advantages IMO. Mainly you don't have to worry about keeping up with license files. I can install the software on various machines and just plug it into whichever I'm using and go. So while I don't expect harrison to change their system. It seems to work well. I wouldn't be upset if for some reason they did.

And as far as keeping up with licenses like mixbus uses, I keep those in a Dropbox folder called "licenses". And then in sub folders named after the vendor. Also pretty quick and painless. Plus they're backed up if my hard drive ever crashes.