Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will you be mad if the authoriser is ilok?
(01-09-2015, 02:14 PM)Matt Wrote: Wow. I'm no fan of ilok, but it does have some advantages IMO. Mainly you don't have to worry about keeping up with license files. I can install the software on various machines and just plug it into whichever I'm using and go. So while I don't expect harrison to change their system. It seems to work well. I wouldn't be upset if for some reason they did.

And as far as keeping up with licenses like mixbus uses, I keep those in a Dropbox folder called "licenses". And then in sub folders named after the vendor. Also pretty quick and painless. Plus they're backed up if my hard drive ever crashes.

Thanks Matt for sharing your Idea. I just dropped it on my Dropbox as I was reading your post. Big thanks.
(01-09-2015, 02:14 PM)Matt Wrote: Wow. I'm no fan of ilok, but it does have some advantages IMO.
Don't fully understand the negative attitudes about iLok, I find it much the same as Waves Authoriser, it sucks a USB slot but that's nothing, it is very handy to be able to move from room to room and facilities around the country and just carry an iLok.
Like Matt, I store Mixbus , Fabfilter and Plugin Alliance and other text based authorisers on a Cloud, which makes it easy to move around (unless you've forgotten to de-authorise Fab Filter from the last machine).
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
an online authorizer like the one plugin alliance uses would be much more clever. but maybe i am biased of the problems, installed waves brings, if i forget the ilok/usb key..
Mac Pro 3.1 / OS 10.9.5 / 2x RME Fireface800 / Harrison Mixbus 32c / Logic Control / SPL Mixdream / Harrison Lineage /
With the new MB3 I expect less issues on my PC than at present, not more!
Online? I get enough spyware from all over the world on my regular PC just looking at emails, or finding reference on youtube thus want to keep my audio machine without all internet junk and virus. I do not intend to make any net access in my audio PC.
USB slots are sometimes crazy and cause I/O problems even recognizing soundcards if other USB is used or more audio software wants to use it till the others are open (a simple player eg) or there is some change in the pluged device like pendrive, external HD, wireless plug, etc.. That is just my long term experience.
Thanx Tassy, +1 here.
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
tassy, so u dont need a dongle anyway! an 24track analog recorder+ desk is the right thing vor you! Wink
Mac Pro 3.1 / OS 10.9.5 / 2x RME Fireface800 / Harrison Mixbus 32c / Logic Control / SPL Mixdream / Harrison Lineage /
(01-11-2015, 04:15 PM)Hendrik Gundlach Wrote: an online authorizer like the one plugin alliance uses would be much more clever. but maybe i am biased of the problems, installed waves brings, if i forget the ilok/usb key..

I totally agree. I love plugin alliance method. If you want you can download the activation key. If you don't like hard going stuff you have online username and password to use. Nomad Factory also is perfect plus plug & mix. They use same method. What I don't like is only waves. the recovery is one time per year. That is outrageous This kind of thing annoys buyers. I don't even understand why they do that. do they think that I might going to give the license key for somebody? If I wanted to give them I didn't have to give them my 1500 worth of license. They can have 12000 worth of waves product for free.

I begged him to reset the system for me but this was what he had to say.

Dear Bereket,

Your licenses can be recovered once again on 02/16/2015.

If you would like me to submit a request to management to reset your recovery term before this time - all the licenses in question must be covered by WUP. To do this you would need to renew coverage for your Waves Update Plan. This will cost $240 and will provide a year of additional updates free of charge, premium Tech Support and a voucher for $240 good for 45 days towards upgrades/bundles (up to 50%) or plugins (up to 25%).

If you have a computer lab documentation that the computer overheated and is no longer usable it would help your cause.

If you renew WUP and request a reset I will pass it on to management - I cannot guarantee their response.

If you need further assistance feel free to contact us or visit http://www.waves.com/support
Best Regards,
Yishai Kornbluth
Waves Technical Support Staff
Waves? Protools? Hard to really understand these guys! Yeah! I know great friends who upgraded to pt11 and LOST MOST their plugins! (and a lot money) Sad
So "upgraded" again back to pt10 and are happy nowSmile

Audio engineering, mixing, music is ART, and I cannot be called an artist if i am forced to be a slave of 3rd party's prescriptions and orders.

(As a research engineer I left the institute when after 11 years crazy bosses wanted to tell me how to think. Went teaching English because nobody told me ho to teach the present perfect tense for 30 years. When they began to order me which book to use and how to teach the grammar I quit teaching at schools.)
I hope I will not be forced to quit mixing!Smile
Carpet Hagglers of the new age Big Grin
Mixbus / Linux 64bit
Yeah and what Bereket shared will happen to Mixbus and others should Harrison sign up for iLok: the company behind iLok will tell them and us users how and where to use the software and they will let us bleed should we lose that little dongle or someone steals it or it simply breaks - let alone the waiting time until you're ready to work again.
I skipped trying let alone using a lot of plugins (hey FREE stuff and demos need an iLok??? How stupid, Eventide & Co!) because of iLok - despite I have one for my PT11 installation which guests use... I simply do not support that criminalisation of the honest customer. Crackers get their stuff anyway for free with no dongle.
For me iLok would be a reason to drop Mixbus. I would use Ardour and an analogue summing box.

Cheers,
MMM