Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Choosing a distro: what does Harrison recommend??
(06-11-2019, 02:04 PM)melodiousthump Wrote: I need to pile on to this Ubuntu Studio love. Based on reading over on the LM forum that the project had been revived, I gave it a whirl and I absolutely dig it. I'm running 18.04 (with backports enabled as recommended), and the latest Mixbus runs great on it. Zero issues with my Nvidia card with Nouveau, plugins all work fine (including AVA) on my end. It's a remarkably smooth experience.

The Ubuntu Studio Controls are slick, they have some "big name" FOSS plugins included (Calf, Guitarix, and they just added the LSP suite last week), you can omit categories of software you don't want during the install process, and they put some work into theming it nicely.

If the team can keep the momentum going, Ubuntu Studio may be back in the game.

I made a fresh install of UbuntuStudio 19.04 64 bit in my PC CPU FX-6350 6 core 32 GB Ram SSD 1 TB only for Ubuntu and Mixbus 32C Nvidia MSI GTX-1050 OC WF 2 GB 50" 4K Monitor X-Tousc + X-Touch Extender, and I get the same errors : AVA Plugins OK, CALF Plugins and lots of other OK ! BUT XT Plugins from Harrison makes Mixbus to crush !!!
I am returning to my Windows 10 Pro 64 installed in another 1 TB SSD and I can use everything wit no problems at all ! I wiil prefer to go on Linux but HarrisonÅ› Support always tell me that they can not do nothing about !
ThatÅ› why I think that all of us that wants to use Linux must ask them to have a Mixbus Standard Distro !
I hope they want it to do Smile
sorry for you
made a try, no crash with several harrison XT plugins.
no crash at all.

Huh
Mixbus 32C V10 Pro|Reaper 7|Ubuntu Studio 24.04|Mac os X|Merging HAPI MKII and Anubis|SSL Big Six| 01V96i|
(06-10-2019, 04:43 PM)jonetsu Wrote:
(06-10-2019, 12:00 PM)jabney Wrote: Note, I only learned of the Texas Instrument CC2530 system from your post, and thus my observations about it are based only on a quick Bing search and a couple of YouTube videos. But I think I'm correct.

The CC2530 was being replaced at the time I fiddled with it a couple of years ago, so it's not the most current TI offering in this range.

I'm afraid I don't know much technically about AI. What do you mean by 'verbal bias' ?

(I'm quite sure no-one will mind just a little aside in the main topic)

Cheers.

I'll send you a private message about 'verbal bias' in relation to AI - not that it's anything terrible, just that the language surrounding AI seems to be evolving. And as a lyricist, I want to take advantage of the changes. That's why I'm on the second draft of my response to you regarding this post.

best, john
I recently totally rebuilt my production machine from scratch, software wise. I tried at least 6 different distros including Ubuntu Studio, Neon, siduction, Debian Buster, and AVLinux, and also a respin of MX called MXStudio which I built myself (available on Sourceforge and had 70 whole downloads!). I had some deal breaker issues with Ubuntu Studio and Neon (don't recall exactly what), and success with the other ones.

Ultimately I stuck with AVLinux which I had been using previously anyway. It comes with almost everything you need pre-installed including a great selection of plugins and configuration tools. The only tweaks were to change to Liquorix kernel and Nvidia drivers for my 4K monitor as RT kernels don't work with Nvidia. It's nice not to have to spend hours tweaking and installing programs on a vanilla distro, it's almost just install distro then make music straight away. The latest version supports UEFI fine to reassure the previous poster who had issue with that in the past.

AVLinux - highly recommended.
I prefare Kubuntu LTS, currently 18.04, with the KXStudio repositories. It won't take long time to tweak it for professional audio and I currently use a self compiled RT-kernel on both my laptop and stationary computers.

But I always recommend AVlinux and Ubuntu studio to anyone that's not used to dive in to the inner life of Linux.
Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox
(06-12-2019, 09:38 PM)sunrat Wrote: The only tweaks were to change to Liquorix kernel and Nvidia drivers for my 4K monitor as RT kernels don't work with Nvidia.

Really? I have not used the RT kernel in a few years now, but I always used it with the proprietary NVidia drivers just fine, or are you referring to the nouveau driver?
ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 w/AMD FX™-8350 Eight-Core Processor 32GB RAM
M-Audio Delta 1010 / Echo AudioFire 12
Mixbus v7.x on Fedora 33 64bit
(06-16-2019, 09:43 PM)Lexridge Wrote:
(06-12-2019, 09:38 PM)sunrat Wrote: The only tweaks were to change to Liquorix kernel and Nvidia drivers for my 4K monitor as RT kernels don't work with Nvidia.

Really? I have not used the RT kernel in a few years now, but I always used it with the proprietary NVidia drivers just fine, or are you referring to the nouveau driver?

Interesting. I'm sure I've seen a few posts stating it won't work and when I tried to build nvidia on RT it didn't but that was a while ago. Maybe I could try again although Liquorix works fine. Also I will try Trulan's low-latency kernel and probably prefer that in future.
And yes I'm talking about nvidia driver, not nouveau. AFAIK nouveau works out of the box, but not so good with 4K monitor last I tried although that wasn't recently either.
Late to the party. The official answer is: Use the distro that you are most comfortable with! It's mainly a matter of taste.

If you're new to Linux, AVLinux is a great starting point, it comes with MIxbus pre-installed and works nicely out-of-the-box on most machines. It can also run live from DVD or USB-key to evaluate it.

MIxbus itself does not depend on any distro specifics and runs equally well on all of them. However there are a few caveats: With the KDE as desktop-environment you may need to tweak a few things for plugin windows to stay on top (search this forum). Some distros do not come with pro-audio optimizations by default.
If you have time and expertise every distro can be tweaked and optimized, otherwise follow the advice given at: http://libremusicproduction.com/articles...stribution
(06-17-2019, 04:47 PM)x42 Wrote: Late to the party. The official answer is: Use the distro that you are most comfortable with! It's mainly a matter of taste.

If you're new to Linux, AVLinux is a great starting point, it comes with MIxbus pre-installed and works nicely out-of-the-box on most machines. It can also run live from DVD or USB-key to evaluate it.

MIxbus itself does not depend on any distro specifics and runs equally well on all of them. However there are a few caveats: With the KDE as desktop-environment you may need to tweak a few things for plugin windows to stay on top (search this forum). Some distros do not come with pro-audio optimizations by default.
If you have time and expertise every distro can be tweaked and optimized, otherwise follow the advice given at: http://libremusicproduction.com/articles...stribution
Thanks x42. I saved your link from libremusicproduction, and your encouragement about Ardour running on non-Intel, non-AMD CPU's was good advice.

best, john
Don't know what Harrison is using or recommending these days, but I do know that with some tuning I'm rather happy doing long-form mixing on CentOS 7. See .sig.

If you want something that is likely to just work, current Debian is always a good shot, and is what all the Ubuntu variants are based on.
"Bughlt: Sckmud
Shut her down Scotty, she's sucking mud again! "
-- Xenix System III 3.2, Tandy 6000, ca. 1987

Dell Precision 7740 Core i7-9750H 16GB RAM 256GB SSD 3x1TB SSD 1920x1080 plus 2x1920x1200 triple-screen
Mixbus 9.2.171, and 32C 9.2.171, Debian 11 x86_64 Linux