Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Choosing a distro: what does Harrison recommend??
(06-10-2019, 07:52 AM)jonetsu Wrote: [quote='PascalC' pid='44426' dateline='1560149991'] we need ONE pro music distro on Linux with VST support (as it was with studio to go from fervent software) with the ... delirious price of the new mac pro, I'm leaving mac os for Linux, protools for Mixbus 32C + bitwig and i need Now a nice Linux distro. (plus amd and nvidia support for lightworks and blackmagic)

Best way IMHO is to leverage the work of well-established teams working for the maintenance and improvement of a well-known distro and NOT to go "original" with a 2-person "team" to assure the same output as a full team like Canonical or Red Hat who can produce for instance real Long Term Support distros (as opposed to pseudo LTS simply because of a lack of manpower).

(06-09-2019, 05:38 PM)jabney Wrote: AVLinux is my favorite Linux distribution. However, right now I am using Ubuntu 18.04 because NVIDIA uses Ubuntu to run their Jetson Nano.

Just as an aside, what are the benefits of AI regarding sensors and IoT and subsequent processing ? As compared for instance to a traditional CPU approach like the Texas Instrument CC2530 (the one I know about).
[/quote

I think that Ubuntu ( I prefer Kubuntu) shoul be a good option for Harrison Standard Linux Distro for Mixbus and Mixbus 32C , and they can speak and work togeter with Canonical and give us a solid solution for the future .
(06-06-2019, 03:42 AM)rockandroller Wrote: Have had some grief ( and many wasted hours) trying to run MB5 on Ubuntu studio.

[...]

Want to run WINE, (for some windows-native stuff like EZdrummer) but other than that I have no hard requirements as to any particular linux flavor.

When I first got involved with Ardour and Mixbus I made a concerted effort to migrate to Linux from my previously preferred platform (Windows). Over many years I ploughed through at least 15 different distros (probably more) but the one that impressed me most was OpenSuse. It hardly ever required me to type things into a command line and no matter what I installed, everything just seemed to work.

Unfortunately (at that time, anyway) the Linux community was heavily scathing about OpenSuse. There seemed to be a view that any Linux OS that "just worked" was almost equivalent to cheating somehow!! Exclamation

Eventually I gave up with Linux and went back to Windows but I've never understood why the Linux community seemed so dismissive about OpenSuse. For me at least, it was definitely the best distro to start off and learn with.
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
(06-10-2019, 07:52 AM)jonetsu Wrote: ...
(06-09-2019, 05:38 PM)jabney Wrote: AVLinux is my favorite Linux distribution. However, right now I am using Ubuntu 18.04 because NVIDIA uses Ubuntu to run their Jetson Nano.

Just as an aside, what are the benefits of AI regarding sensors and IoT and subsequent processing ? As compared for instance to a traditional CPU approach like the Texas Instrument CC2530 (the one I know about).

Don't know. That's why I wanted to follow the NVIDIA AI path for awhile. Both the $99 NVIDIA Jetson Nano developer kit and the $500+ development system for the Texas Instrument CC2530 can do a lot. But the $99 Jetson Nano has a verbal bias while the Texas Instrument CC2530 has a mathematical bias. And for my projects, a verbal bias is needed.

Note, I only learned of the Texas Instrument CC2530 system from your post, and thus my observations about it are based only on a quick Bing search and a couple of YouTube videos. But I think I'm correct.

best, john
ouch actually trying the LAST version of Ubuntu studio (19.04)
very very impressive. ZERO xrun even with a middle session more than 30 t and installing nvidia drivers at the same time Tongue on 32C

forget the other ones
last version of US is REALLY good.Heart
US team made a great job on design too.things changed a lot !

if I can have both mixbus 32C and Da Vinci resolve 16 on ubuntu studio 19.04 i can switch (and forget this damned mac pro 2019) !
so fun i went to apple store 15 days ago prices are SO high now and installed again win10
if I'm right i can format my HD and install ubuntu LOL as my new OS. I wasted my time trying proprietary OS
Mixbus 32C V10 Pro|Reaper 7|Ubuntu Studio 24.04|Mac os X|Merging HAPI MKII and Anubis|SSL Big Six| 01V96i|
(06-10-2019, 12:00 PM)jabney Wrote: Note, I only learned of the Texas Instrument CC2530 system from your post, and thus my observations about it are based only on a quick Bing search and a couple of YouTube videos. But I think I'm correct.

The CC2530 was being replaced at the time I fiddled with it a couple of years ago, so it's not the most current TI offering in this range.

I'm afraid I don't know much technically about AI. What do you mean by 'verbal bias' ?

(I'm quite sure no-one will mind just a little aside in the main topic)

Cheers.
(06-10-2019, 12:09 PM)PascalC Wrote: ouch actually trying the LAST version of Ubuntu studio (19.04)
very very impressive. ZERO xrun even with a middle session more than 30 t and installing nvidia drivers at the same time Tongue on 32C

forget the other ones
last version of US is REALLY good.Heart
US team made a great job on design too.things changed a lot !

if I can have both mixbus 32C and Da Vinci resolve 16 on ubuntu studio 19.04 i can switch (and forget this damned mac pro 2019) !
so fun i went to apple store 15 days ago prices are SO high now and installed again win10
if I'm right i can format my HD and install ubuntu LOL as my new OS. I wasted my time trying proprietary OS

I may give ubuntu studio a try again. I thought at some point it had been dropped? Was I wrong, or has it been brought back?

And I’ve been saying this for a while. If all the companies that officially support Linux (Harrison, Cockos, bitwig, etc.) would either developer their own distro, or at least agree on one to support, Linux could become a very viable platform. Not that it isn’t now, but imo it’s too “fractured” right now with so many options. So we have discussions like this.

I’ve actually thought Waves could be the company that would start the Linux revolution. As far as I know, their waves grid servers run Linux. They have released tracks live, which is a stripped down ardour. I know it’s probably copy protection they’re worried about, but there has to be a way to do that in Linux. But if they could develop a distro with ardour, and their plug-ins installed, it could be game changing. I’m not necessarily a waves fan. But if anyone can make the audio world take Linux seriously, I think they could.

Anyway. I’ll download Ubuntu studio tomorrow and see what I think. Smile
yes this one is really good. in my opinion the best music Linux distro since 64studio.
great job Ubuntu Studio !

no xrun no pb no bugs nothing. I have Mixbus 32C, Da vinci resolve 16 (beta 4), reaper 5, tracktion 10 and other things (steam with proton ^^) Wink had a lot of Xruns with 17, 18... a nightmare... now all runs flawlessly !!!! i'm so happy I don't need MacosX or protools anymore !

With an HPZ this could be a serious alternative to PT Ultimate+ Macpro. (As I don't need dozens of plugins anymore, Harrison and Resolve plugins and FX are really great)
Mixbus 32C V10 Pro|Reaper 7|Ubuntu Studio 24.04|Mac os X|Merging HAPI MKII and Anubis|SSL Big Six| 01V96i|
(06-11-2019, 02:32 AM)PascalC Wrote: yes this one is really good. in my opinion the best music Linux distro since 64studio.
great job Ubuntu Studio !

no xrun no pb no bugs nothing. I have Mixbus 32C, Da vinci resolve 16 (beta 4), reaper 5, tracktion 10 and other things (steam with proton ^^) Wink had a lot of Xruns with 17, 18... a nightmare... now all runs flawlessly !!!! i'm so happy I don't need MacosX or protools anymore !

With an HPZ this could be a serious alternative to PT Ultimate+ Macpro. (As I don't need dozens of plugins anymore, Harrison and Resolve plugins and FX are really great)

Ubuntu Studio 18.04.2 does not work at all with Mixbus 32C , lot´s of problems with plugins I think it could be from my Nvidia GTX1050 OC 2G graphics card. XT-plugins does not work with Nvidia propietary driver and AVA plugins does not work with Nouveau driver !
I want a Harrison Linux distro or a Standard Linux distro they test and all versions of Mixbus must be tested with this third part distro.
I
use a AMD FX 6350 6 core 3.5 CPU 32 GB Ram Nvidia GTX1050 OC 2Gb 1 TB SSD 3 x 2 TB Seagate Sata III 7200 Xtouch + Xtouch extender Behringer X18 R Air 18 ADA 48 Khz 50" 4K Monitor BCA2000 (only to control 2 X Denon mono POA 6600 250 W RMS Tannoy X15 Studio Monitor
Actually trying ubuntu studio 19.04 with mixbus 32C and Da Vinci resolve 16B4
all works GREAT. agree 17 and 18 had a lot of issues but the team worked hard to deliver this new 0S.

things changes for me with last version of ubuntu studio/
32C working with HD Sound city movie (sound and video on 32C, bought it on official site) + steam Tongue for testing. with a nvidia graphic card.

17/20 % CPU.
I need to pile on to this Ubuntu Studio love. Based on reading over on the LM forum that the project had been revived, I gave it a whirl and I absolutely dig it. I'm running 18.04 (with backports enabled as recommended), and the latest Mixbus runs great on it. Zero issues with my Nvidia card with Nouveau, plugins all work fine (including AVA) on my end. It's a remarkably smooth experience.

The Ubuntu Studio Controls are slick, they have some "big name" FOSS plugins included (Calf, Guitarix, and they just added the LSP suite last week), you can omit categories of software you don't want during the install process, and they put some work into theming it nicely.

If the team can keep the momentum going, Ubuntu Studio may be back in the game.