Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Choosing a distro: what does Harrison recommend??
Fwiw I’m running Linux Mint 19 right now. I’ve tried a few different distros. I really wanted AV Linux to work. But there was some uefi issue I couldn’t get past. And that’s been a while ago. I need to revisit. I also really liked KXStudio and Ubuntu Studio. I used regular Ubuntu for a bit. Then heard about Mint. It’s been great for me. But I am definitely not any kind of power user.
Hi
I have tried Kubuntu 18.04 (Lowlattency Kr) with Nvidia driver and it crashs ! Kububtu wirh Nouveau driver and it also crash, Ubuntu 18.04 Studio with Nouveau driver and it crash usualy with AVA and XT Plugins !
I woul like to use Linux but I installed in Windows 10Pro 64 and only Waves plugins does not work , the other plugins work fine and I think that Harrison must have a standar linux distros to use as a sugestion to the users !
If the user wants to use another one it will be is problem !
hi
you should try Librazik 2. It's a debian sarge + RT kernel works great. best regards.
Mixbus 32C V10 Pro|Reaper 7|Ubuntu Studio 24.04|Mac os X|Merging HAPI MKII and Anubis|SSL Big Six| 01V96i|
(06-09-2019, 12:54 PM)PascalC Wrote: hi
you should try Librazik 2. It's a debian sarge + RT kernel works great. best regards.

Hi ,
thank you for your answer, but I prefer English lanuage even if I am Portuguese and I also speack French and English, but all TI for me I run it in English.
(06-09-2019, 11:50 AM)herminio.cerqueira Wrote: I think that Harrison must have a standar linux distros to use as a sugestion to the users ! If the user wants to use another one it will be is problem !

That's basically how Bitwig works. They use Ubuntu and that's it. One can get away by using a direct Ubuntu variation like Xubuntu or even Linux Mint (with some convincing words to support).

That's also basically how any form of support can be offered in Linux. By having one popular common distro for development and (regression) testing and support. It does not make practical sense to support 10 different distros. Better to support one in an excellent way than 10 half way.

Cheers/Salutations.
(06-09-2019, 02:32 PM)jonetsu Wrote:
(06-09-2019, 11:50 AM)herminio.cerqueira Wrote: I think that Harrison must have a standar linux distros to use as a sugestion to the users ! If the user wants to use another one it will be is problem !

That's basically how Bitwig works. They use Ubuntu and that's it. One can get away by using a direct Ubuntu variation like Xubuntu or even Linux Mint (with some convincing words to support).

That's also basically how any form of support can be offered in Linux. By having one popular common distro for development and (regression) testing and support. It does not make practical sense to support 10 different distros. Better to support one in an excellent way than 10 half way.

Cheers/Salutations.

I agree, Harrison must chose a good stable Linux Distro to develop Mixbus and Mixbus 32C and test it with all major plugins and that´s it we can trust and have no surprise nor time wasted on crush and it is also not good for the sucess of Mixbus that all of us desires !
(06-09-2019, 04:42 PM)herminio.cerqueira Wrote: I agree, Harrison must chose a good stable Linux Distro to develop Mixbus and Mixbus 32C and test it with all major plugins and that´s it we can trust and have no surprise nor time wasted on crush and it is also not good for the sucess of Mixbus that all of us desires !

And now the big question is, should testing major plugins on Linux also include major Windows plugins that run using wine and linvst ? Dodgy
AVLinux is my favorite Linux distribution. However, right now I am using Ubuntu 18.04 because NVIDIA uses Ubuntu to run their Jetson Nano. The Jetson Nano is focused on Artificial Intelligence which I am just starting to learn. And I don't want to get too far away from learning AI. My project needs sound, so I can create Ardour sessions which are supposed to transfer easily to Mixbus 32C. Ardour works on the Jetson Nano, and on another computer Mixbus 32C works; but the transfer between the two hasn't worked for me yet, (I blame that on my years of avoiding of learning networking - except for WiFi). I hope to get back to AVLinux eventually. GMaq's AVLinux is so comfortable to run.

best, john
(06-09-2019, 01:19 PM)herminio.cerqueira Wrote:
(06-09-2019, 12:54 PM)PascalC Wrote: hi

Hi ,
thank you for your answer, but I prefer English lanuage even if I am Portuguese and I also speack French and English, but all TI for me I run it in English.
you can install english version . and the how to is very easy to translate. is a debian sarge + some special addons no more. with a RT kernel it's simply killer. Tried ubunbu studio but couldn't (had plenty xruns with US, it's not usable at all) Several important music distro are french ones : Librazik, Tux n Vape Mix as Linux mao is one of the most active websites in the world. But i agree harrison should propose a special version of Linux for music AND video. with RT kernel + amd and nvidia drivers. AV linux is a strange mix between debian and kx repositories... we need ONE pro music distro on Linux with VST support (as it was with studio to go from fervent software) with the ... delirious price of the new mac pro, I'm leaving mac os for Linux, protools for Mixbus 32C + bitwig and i need Now a nice Linux distro. (plus amd and nvidia support for lightworks and blackmagic)
Mixbus 32C V10 Pro|Reaper 7|Ubuntu Studio 24.04|Mac os X|Merging HAPI MKII and Anubis|SSL Big Six| 01V96i|
(06-10-2019, 01:59 AM)PascalC Wrote: we need ONE pro music distro on Linux with VST support (as it was with studio to go from fervent software) with the ... delirious price of the new mac pro, I'm leaving mac os for Linux, protools for Mixbus 32C + bitwig and i need Now a nice Linux distro. (plus amd and nvidia support for lightworks and blackmagic)

Best way IMHO is to leverage the work of well-established teams working for the maintenance and improvement of a well-known distro and NOT to go "original" with a 2-person "team" to assure the same output as a full team like Canonical or Red Hat who can produce for instance real Long Term Support distros (as opposed to pseudo LTS simply because of a lack of manpower).

(06-09-2019, 05:38 PM)jabney Wrote: AVLinux is my favorite Linux distribution. However, right now I am using Ubuntu 18.04 because NVIDIA uses Ubuntu to run their Jetson Nano.

Just as an aside, what are the benefits of AI regarding sensors and IoT and subsequent processing ? As compared for instance to a traditional CPU approach like the Texas Instrument CC2530 (the one I know about).