Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Read only cannot save Error message
I think you're right to think it's a conflict with some other feature such as Google Drive but if your two computers are using the same antivirus s/ware, that might also be a factor.

Do you use the regular Microsoft antivirus stuff (usually MS Security Essentials) or a 3rd party package? In the past, 3rd party packages have caused all sorts of issues for Mixbus including instability, poor performance and even sessions just refusing to open.
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
Hi,
i can confirm this is a google drive related problem. I landed on this forum because i have the same problem and seem this is the unique place where someone discuss about.
My case:
i have a folder where i have some ardour projects, i need to have the same project on notebook, then what could be better than google drive?
after sync "My computer" folder i notice the read only problem.

How I solved:
- tried everything on windows without success so i zipped the folder on usb key
- transferred the zip on a linux system (i know it can be a difficult task, but you can find online live cd ready to start in a minutes)
- unzipped on linux
- copied again on usb (without zipping, probably zipping work the same)
- copied on windows
file are working again, no read only error.
(probably the same work using a transfer on a Mac

After that, to test it, i restarted google drive that say me that the folder was changed, so i deleted the folder from the cloud and restarted google drive to resync again.
After that the problem of read only was back again.

I think the best way is to not use the "My computer" sync but to use a stream folder on the cloud setting that to offline use.

My 5 cents.  Angel

Regards
You could zip the session folder before uploading to Gdrive. That should retain permissions when you fetch it again and unzip it.
Mixbus 32C, Debian Bookworm/KDE, EVE SC205 + ADAM Sub 8 monitors, Soundcraft Compact 4, M-Audio 2496, i5 6500, 16GB RAM, WD Blue SSD 1TB, 48" LG OLED, other stuff.
Work as house engineer at a popular venue in Melbourne AU. On a quest for the holy grail, the perfect amount of cowbell.

Yes, but if you have a huge amount of GB in your muisc projects folder is not so comfortable, suppose to change only a bit... you have to zip and exctrat tons of data.

Stream folders work goods, dropbox too and many other tools, this is a headache related to google drive and as you suggest, everyone is free to turn around the problem as they sees fit
I have not been using Mixbus since i went through this issue last year. I never got any advice on how to unlock all the sessions that would only open in read only mode. It does not matter if i close down Google Drive while using Mixbus. My sessions will at some point lock up anyway so it is impossible for me to use the software. I have spent hours on trying to figure out what exactly is happening but i have come to a point where i just can't spend more time trying to troubleshoot this issue on my own. I have no issues with other audio software such as Ableton or Acid Music Studio. So there must be something the developers have to look at since at this point i am sitting with a piece of software that is totally useless and i won't spend more time trying to figure out what is wrong since i am so fed up with it. I had plans to revisit one of my older projects since i found a new collaborator who had some fresh ideas. But since i can't save any changes to the sessions or make any additions as importing additional tracks it is no point in moving forward with those plans.
(01-30-2022, 01:00 PM)notbugs Wrote: I have not been using Mixbus since i went through this issue last year. I never got any advice on how to unlock all the sessions that would only open in read only mode. It does not matter if i close down Google Drive while using Mixbus. My sessions will at some point lock up anyway so it is impossible for me to use the software. I have spent hours on trying to figure out what exactly is happening but i have come to a point where i just can't spend more time trying to troubleshoot this issue on my own. I have no issues with other audio software such as Ableton or Acid Music Studio. So there must be something the developers have to look at since at this point i am sitting with a piece of software that is totally useless and i won't spend more time trying to figure out what is wrong since i am so fed up with it. I had plans to revisit one of my older projects since i found a new collaborator who had some fresh ideas. But since i can't save any changes to the sessions or make any additions as importing additional tracks it is no point in moving forward with those plans.

I have EXACTLY the same problem. This isn't a demo version, I paid for it but now it's worthless.
Maybe it'd be worth repeating my request from last November...

(11-11-2021, 11:11 AM)johne53 Wrote: It'd be good if owo and DonPiter could let us know if they eventually found an explanation...
From my reading of this thread, it is pretty clear that there is an edit lock issue with sessions created on Google Drive.
A number of posters have mentioned that there is no save issue on sessions created outside of Google drive.
The fact that some sessions which were created on GD cannot be saved points to a permissions issue within Google Drive.
I would suggest you either stay away from Google Drive, go out and buy yourself a USB3 drive and be done with it.
Or Google Google about Google Drive and you will find reams of documents about file / folder locks read only and multi user permissions.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
Just to weigh in...
I would NOT recommend the use of Google Drive or any other WAN sharing method for active sessions.
When active, Mixbus opens, and maintains, hundreds of files. Every one of them is managed by the write-lock provisions of Google Drive.
There is no good reason that I can think of for running a session from the cloud; that is, there is no good reason I can think of for having
multiple editing or mixing persons working, remotely, on the same session at the same time.
If there is a need for more than one studio to share a closed session, then the better alternative is to:
- Make sure the session is indeed saved and closed properly.
- Use an appropriate tool to zip up the session folder.
- Upload the resulting session bundle to the cloud.
This has worked for me and my affiliates, with absolutely no issues whatsoever.

Cheers!
Patrick
And if you're still finding the read-only problem after uninstalling Google Drive, there's one more thing you could try (renaming the session). There are 3 places where you'd need to rename it:-

My original session here was called 100_BARS which is shown in 3 different places. But I can rename the session to NEW_100_BARS just by editing those 3 places, like so:-

Then try loading your renamed session and hopefully it'll stop loading as read-only.