Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Read only cannot save Error message
I've been getting these messages when I open a file quite a bit the last week or so...I have quit MB, signed out of WIN 10 and restarted my PC. I usually have to save as and rename the file...I'm starting to have a lot of doubles....

This morning I opened a new file to master a mix with only one audio file and then went back into the mix project to tweak it, came back to open my newly made MASTER project and I was getting the read only again...thought it was time to ask the board here...(-:

thx, jeff

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Newest version of Mixbus Win 10 pro 64 bit  i9 20 core 48 gigs RAM
What file are you talking about? Is not is a session? Better to use snapshots than save as, snapshots share the original raw audio, no extra space needed on the HD.
Can be I completely misunderstood what you wantedSmile
Tassy
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
(04-18-2019, 08:19 AM)Tassy Wrote: What file are you talking about? Is not is a session? Better to use snapshots than save as, snapshots share the original raw audio, no extra space needed on the HD.
Can be I completely misunderstood what you wantedSmile
Tassy

Hi Tassy,

Thanks...Yes it is happening when I open a SESSION file...so you are saying if I get that READ ONLY message I can just save a SNAPSHOT and the file will start saving tweaks in the sessions again?

And is that the ctrl+shift+S or the "M" shortcut in Editor...still not too sure what the difference is on those 2...I know I saved the "M" version and I thought that was for MIXER settings but it didn't seem to save them when I recall it...could have been user error not sure...
I do not know what the message will d,o never saw on my system
I use the menu session/snapshot the one switch to new version, give a name and you get a new ardour session file in your main session folder.
I do not know why you get the read only, what was the cause at your save.
You may also try to get to a commander, right click on the readonly guy and change its attribute if the read only is ticked. untick it.

snapshot saves everything you have done before in the open session. Save as, saves also the tweaks you have done but also may copy the audio again if you chose it from its popup menu.
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
(04-18-2019, 10:49 AM)Tassy Wrote: I do not know what the message will d,o never saw on my system
I use the menu session/snapshot the one switch to new version, give a name and you get a new ardour session file in your main session folder.
I do not know why you get the read only, what was the cause at your save.
You may also try to get to a commander, right click on the readonly guy and change its attribute if the read only is ticked. untick it.

snapshot saves everything you have done before in the open session. Save as, saves also the tweaks you have done but also may copy the audio again if you chose it from its popup menu.

I uploaded a picture of the error message just now on my first post but here it is so you can see it...I am saving my sessions constantly with snapshots and then hitting SAVE to make sure they stay...Not sure why this is happening...It is happening with my colleague also this morning also with her Mixbus....

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

yes, I reproduced it in one of my sessions. You get this message if the "ardour" file in your main session folder is read only.
Find and go to the ardour file in a total commander or any file manager app , right click on the ardour folder, and untick the "read only" box in the options
DoneSmile
I think you may have done some shortcuts by accident that the OS considered chenge the attribute to read only
(04-18-2019, 02:36 PM)Tassy Wrote: yes, I reproduced it in one of my sessions. You get this message if the "ardour" file in your main session folder is read only.
Find and go to the ardour file in a total commander or any file manager app , right click on the ardour folder, and untick the "read only" box in the options
DoneSmile
I think you may have done some shortcuts by accident that the OS considered chenge the attribute to read only

Thx Tassy, I'll have to dig into that!
It could also be happening if the drive you are using is Read only.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
I'm not sure exactly what MB uses to trigger that message, but it's also possible something else has that file open, so MB defaults to a read-only session so MB doesn't trample on the session and corrupt it. A computer reboot would isolate this case.
(04-19-2019, 07:34 AM)dustinnr Wrote: I'm not sure exactly what MB uses to trigger that message, but it's also possible something else has that file open, so MB defaults to a read-only session so MB doesn't trample on the session and corrupt it. A computer reboot would isolate this case.

default is definitely not read only, otherwise we could not mix and save it at all, but possible something change it in the background, windows is a strange animal...