Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't take the instability...
(01-11-2019, 09:25 PM)jonetsu Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 08:28 PM)Boydbob Wrote: 2. Save constantly (Command S on Mac, I think) Record a track? Save. Add a plug? Save. If you blink, Save.

Useful. I always save. I got the save function assigned to the User key on the Faderport 1 which makes it extra easy to hit. Ctrl-S is easy, but that one button is even easier. Anytime that there's a 'dead' moment I hit the key. This said, I do not experience Mixbus32C crashes on Linux. But I still save. Same as when programming, I hit emacs' save function very frequently. In both cases I never spend any time thinking and pondering things while there's unsaved data. It's like second nature. Even though Mixbus32C and Bitwig have crash recovering capabilities.

I think there is a lua script to save and possibly edit the code to save more frequently as you like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(01-11-2019, 10:53 PM)mrskytown11 Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 09:25 PM)jonetsu Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 08:28 PM)Boydbob Wrote: 2. Save constantly (Command S on Mac, I think) Record a track? Save. Add a plug? Save. If you blink, Save.

Useful. I always save. I got the save function assigned to the User key on the Faderport 1 which makes it extra easy to hit. Ctrl-S is easy, but that one button is even easier. Anytime that there's a 'dead' moment I hit the key. This said, I do not experience Mixbus32C crashes on Linux. But I still save. Same as when programming, I hit emacs' save function very frequently. In both cases I never spend any time thinking and pondering things while there's unsaved data. It's like second nature. Even though Mixbus32C and Bitwig have crash recovering capabilities.

I think there is a lua script to save and possibly edit the code to save more frequently as you like

While saving automatically may help from data loss, it will certainly not help at all with the frustration from crashing every few minutes. He really needs to get to the root of the problem and fix it there. There are many Mac users on this forum, and I doubt any of them are seeing the crashes on the scale described in the OP. There is obviously something in common to both his computers, since he is getting the same results on both. My previous post mentioned TimeMachine could be a reason, but it has yet to be verified if he is using it.
ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 w/AMD FX™-8350 Eight-Core Processor 32GB RAM
M-Audio Delta 1010 / Echo AudioFire 12
Mixbus v7.x on Fedora 33 64bit
@nicholasdover,
I am a Mac user and have had a very stable system in v3, 4 and 5.
I am really sorry to hear your grief, it should not be so.
Some more detail about your audio interface, RAM etc might help ....
The fault report you posted about split / crash, I am no expert in this area... but from what little I understand of crash reports in mac, you might have an issue with memory or disc access.
What is your setup ?:
a/ is the audio on an external high speed drive, an internal system drive or on a shared / NAS device ?
b/ is WI-FI disabled ?
c/ what is your RAM config ?
d/ what is your audio interface ? Is MB the only application using your I/O ?

I have read about issues in High Sierra with upgrade that has involved a Time Machine restore.
Wishing you well in getting this sorted.

You should also email support - mixbus@harrisonconsoles.com they are very good at getting back...
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(01-11-2019, 05:34 PM)nicholasdover Wrote: Sorry to say this... but I'm out. I SO WANTED THIS TO WORK OUT!!! But every day, repeated crashes on imac and laptop running different setups. Slated crashed it, killed some projects. Waves crashed it now - won't even open a project because it has a certain Abbey Rd plugin on it. Splitting bloody regions crashed it. It's a mess! But I love the workspace, love the sound, love the simplicity. And I hate Logic - it's so cluttered, childish, has so much stuff I don't want and never use. MB has exactly what I want. But it doesn't fucking work. And I have a studio to run - I can't spend my days looking for viable workarounds to a million issues, I've got tape machines and cables and old amps to go wrong, I need software to just work. It's been a fortnight - I'm so pissed off and disappointed - I wasn't expecting it to do anything other than what it is obviously meant for. I'll maybe check back in the future, but this is really sad...
Thanks for your helpful advice on trying to sort things, guys...
Sad

deja vu...if you prefer an analog style mixing i would recommend you the pro tools 12 and brainworx bx consoles...one of them...if you can afford the bx townhouse buss compresor, plus, you are in the ballpark...
(01-11-2019, 10:53 PM)mrskytown11 Wrote: I think there is a lua script to save and possibly edit the code to save more frequently as you like

Nah. Nothing beats hitting the User key on the Faderport 1. And can actually provide an immediate positive feedback along with the disappearing * in the windows title bar.
(01-12-2019, 09:27 AM)jonetsu Wrote: Nah. Nothing beats hitting the User key on the Faderport 1. And can actually provide an immediate positive feedback along with the disappearing * in the windows title bar.

I do agree with this. I have an X-Touch and I hit the Save key any time I notice the *.
Boyd
------------------------------------------
Windows 10 64; - Core i5 16GB; - RME Babyface; - MixBus 32C & XT plugins; Sonarworks Reference 4; Ozone 8; Neutron 2; Steven Slate Drums 5;
Superior Drummer 3; Ample Sound Bass & Guitar VSTi's; Behringer X-Touch

(01-12-2019, 03:55 AM)Dingo Wrote: @nicholasdover,
I am a Mac user and have had a very stable system in v3, 4 and 5.
I am really sorry to hear your grief, it should not be so.
Some more detail about your audio interface, RAM etc might help ....
The fault report you posted about split / crash, I am no expert in this area... but from what little I understand of crash reports in mac, you might have an issue with memory or disc access.
What is your setup ?:
a/ is the audio on an external high speed drive, an internal system drive or on a shared / NAS device ?
b/ is WI-FI disabled ?
c/ what is your RAM config ?
d/ what is your audio interface ? Is MB the only application using your I/O ?

I have read about issues in High Sierra with upgrade that has involved a Time Machine restore.
Wishing you well in getting this sorted.

You should also email support - mixbus@harrisonconsoles.com they are very good at getting back...

Sorry slow to answer these:
a) I've tried SSD on USB, internal main SSD, and internal 2nd SATA drive
b) no - should it?
c) 8GB DDR3 (4x2) - got 2x16 arriving in a couple of days to see
d) Motu 828ES with iMac/RME Fireface with MBP. I left Logic running at same time accidentally once... Disaster. So yes, MB only thing running audio.

Time machine is off

Thanks
iMac 3.1 GHz i5 16 GB/MBP 2.3 GHz i7 8GB
Antelope Orion 32+/RME FF800
Mixbus 32C
(01-13-2019, 05:57 AM)nicholasdover Wrote: c) 8GB DDR3 (4x2) - got 2x16 arriving in a couple of days to see

Even if that's not the problem, it will help immensely.

But one more thing to look at: Some plugins don't play nice with Mixbus.
I tried to use Steven Slate SSD4. Once it was loaded, adding ANY audio or midi would lock up Mixbus.
I now have SSD5 and it works great.
Boyd
------------------------------------------
Windows 10 64; - Core i5 16GB; - RME Babyface; - MixBus 32C & XT plugins; Sonarworks Reference 4; Ozone 8; Neutron 2; Steven Slate Drums 5;
Superior Drummer 3; Ample Sound Bass & Guitar VSTi's; Behringer X-Touch

(01-13-2019, 05:57 AM)nicholasdover Wrote:
(01-12-2019, 03:55 AM)Dingo Wrote: b/ is WI-FI disabled ?

b) no - should it?

Yes, if you Google: MacOS optimise DAW, you will get a number of articles that list ways to optimise for DAW performance on a Mac.

Basically...
Disable Sleep, Hard disc sleep and Nap modes.
Disable WiFi and any unnecessary FW Networking.
Disable FileFault.

I try and keep my system as clear of other applications etc as I can, have purchased quality RAM, use an SSD for system and have USB3 drives for audio.

Cheers
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
Thanks Dingo - I just checked and yes, except wifi, I've done all those things in past.
I run system from a 500GB SSD in place of optical drive and that's always been fine, then few days ago I took imac apart again and put a second SSD on the other SATA connector on back of logic board but unless it's a coincidence, I think it might be running worse. I've ordered a Thunderpolt 2TB Lacie to come tmrw as well to see if that helps. I run the Motu on USB at the moment, but have ordered a thunderbolt cable to see how it works out running the Motu there too. The USB bus on this iMac is slow compared to my MBP (both 2011 but MBP has USB 3 I think? Transfer times way quicker to MBP when moving things from USB 3 drives) so running a big project from an external drive over it falls apart sometimes.
Going to take this thing apart now and get that SSD out again, see if it was causing a conflict/bottleneck somehow.
One day I'll make some music..!
Thanks for heads up Boyd - slate all good again now AU banished, I'm working through hiding all AU from MB. Takes ages - the plugin manager has a very slow response to check boxes - maybe it has to move/catalogue/rearrange things every time, but it's v boring to watch!
Thanks for time/advice.
Nick

Wow - just to follow up, SSD out now and a project which was making MB DSP hit the red and drop out is now running at 35%!
A positive move, at last...
Quick, mix a song, mix a song!
iMac 3.1 GHz i5 16 GB/MBP 2.3 GHz i7 8GB
Antelope Orion 32+/RME FF800
Mixbus 32C