Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A really basic question
Folks, if I record some audio, I don't like it and either Undo, or Delete, am I deleting that file/region permanently? I've experimented with both, and when I've tried the Clean Up function it says there's nothing to clean up. Is there a "trash" folder or something similar that let's you recover a previous take that's, after all, the best you can do? Can you see Undo or Deleted takes/files until you decide to permanently Clean Up?
I'm crash-coursing 32C and reading the manual, but can't find this one...

Thanks.
(03-02-2021, 05:33 AM)TheBassBagwhan Wrote: Folks, if I record some audio, I don't like it and either Undo, or Delete, am I deleting that file/region permanently? I've experimented with both, and when I've tried the Clean Up function it says there's nothing to clean up. Is there a "trash" folder or something similar that let's you recover a previous take that's, after all, the best you can do? Can you see Undo or Deleted takes/files until you decide to permanently Clean Up?

Thanks.

You can check that yourself in the session folder/interchange/sessionname/audio Smile
MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
(03-02-2021, 05:38 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(03-02-2021, 05:33 AM)TheBassBagwhan Wrote: Folks, if I record some audio, I don't like it and either Undo, or Delete, am I deleting that file/region permanently? I've experimented with both, and when I've tried the Clean Up function it says there's nothing to clean up. Is there a "trash" folder or something similar that let's you recover a previous take that's, after all, the best you can do? Can you see Undo or Deleted takes/files until you decide to permanently Clean Up?

Thanks.

You can check that yourself in the session folder/interchange/sessionname/audio Smile
MMM

But I'd have to do that outside of MB, right? Here's another way of asking ... say I make 12 attempts at a guitar solo, Undoing or Deleting each one, then ultimately decide attempt #5 is the best I'll ever do. How do I go back to it? Do I have to use the Import Dialogue and navigate to the Dead folder? Will it even be there? The manual occasionally shows a Browser picture, but I'm not remembering one (on my tablet now). Thanks again.
Why delate what can be of any good later?
Delete the things that ar all wrongSmile
If you record something 20 times keep them. One never knows which part of a "bad" recording could be used later as the best to a section.
Consider chnnging your work flow according to the DAW you use and according to practicallity
best
Tassy
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
Tassy has nailed it. Disk space is stupid cheap these days. Do your file cleanup after you have declared the song "finished" and don't worry about it.

FWIW... I paid over $600 for a 40 MEGAbyte hard drive back in late 1980's...
i5-8400 - 16GB - Big SSD & HD - Win10 Pro - Mixbus - Studio One
UAD Apollo Quad Firewire - Quad FW satellite - PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8 - Console 1
Lots of guitars - I build all my own tube amps

To answer my own question, deleted files should still be in the Sources tab. I can drag them back into the timeline. I just need to make a note of any I really want to keep, just in case. However, some of my files aren't visible ...
(03-03-2021, 04:44 AM)TheBassBagwhan Wrote: To answer my own question, deleted files should still be in the Sources tab. I can drag them back into the timeline. I just need to make a note of any I really want to keep, just in case. However, some of my files aren't visible ...

Why doesn't anyone ever just answer the question or give a reference to where to find a solution?
Three answers are not no one. Just maths.
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
(03-02-2021, 05:33 AM)TheBassBagwhan Wrote: Folks, if I record some audio, I don't like it and either Undo, or Delete, am I deleting that file/region permanently?
No, if you Undo Capture or delete the region from the timeline the audio is still in the interchange/jobname/audiofiles folder.
The region will be removed from the Regions list, but the capture will still exist in the Source list and physically in the interchange folder.

If you right click on a Source file in the Editor List and remove you will get a prompt as to how serious you are about deleting what.

(03-02-2021, 05:33 AM)TheBassBagwhan Wrote: I've experimented with both, and when I've tried the Clean Up function it says there's nothing to clean up. Is there a "trash" folder or something similar that let's you recover a previous take that's, after all, the best you can do? Can you see Undo or Deleted takes/files until you decide to permanently Clean Up?

Cleanup will move Source files that have no regions on the timeline that are created from them to the dead folder.
You can drag media from the dead folder back into the project.

I would suggest you follow the advice of other posters and don't worry about undoing or deleting, there is time for that when archiving a finished show.
Have a read about Layered recording it can speed your workflow / creative whatevers and you can easily chop between bits to create a GO take.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(03-09-2021, 01:31 AM)Dingo Wrote:
(03-02-2021, 05:33 AM)TheBassBagwhan Wrote: Folks, if I record some audio, I don't like it and either Undo, or Delete, am I deleting that file/region permanently?
No, if you Undo Capture or delete the region from the timeline the audio is still in the interchange/jobname/audiofiles folder.
The region will be removed from the Regions list, but the capture will still exist in the Source list and physically in the interchange folder.

If you right click on a Source file in the Editor List and remove you will get a prompt as to how serious you are about deleting what.

(03-02-2021, 05:33 AM)TheBassBagwhan Wrote: I've experimented with both, and when I've tried the Clean Up function it says there's nothing to clean up. Is there a "trash" folder or something similar that let's you recover a previous take that's, after all, the best you can do? Can you see Undo or Deleted takes/files until you decide to permanently Clean Up?

Cleanup will move Source files that have no regions on the timeline that are created from them to the dead folder.
You can drag media from the dead folder back into the project.

I would suggest you follow the advice of other posters and don't worry about undoing or deleting, there is time for that when archiving a finished show.
Have a read about Layered recording it can speed your workflow / creative whatevers and you can easily chop between bits to create a GO take.

Thanks Dingo, I did slowly figure out the Source list option. I'm kind of looking for a Studio One-style browser page but it doesn't exist. As for layered recording, I already feel guilty doing small punch-ins to fix my ambitious guitar playing, so I'm trying not to go down that road yet!