Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Creating an MP3 - NOT built in
So I am exporting my first test sessions and I'm baffled that there is no automatic built-in option to create an MP3 export. I see a TON of other options....most of which I have never heard of....but there is no built in MP3 export.

I saw a video tutorial where Ben had LAME running on his computer and did some script stuff to instruct MB to have LAME create an MP3....Uhm...why a workaround? Why not just build it into the export function?

I make music and want to just focus on that. Printing basic deliverables like MP3 should be as easy as breathing. There seems to be a tweak-head component to hacking your way through this basic function that I find confusing on this platform.

Is there a plan to include an MP3 export function alongside the myriad of OTHER options? If so when? If not why not?

Thanks for any response,

Best,

gregg
http://mixbus.harrisonconsoles.com/forum...ml#pid9862
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(09-07-2017, 07:44 PM)Dingo Wrote: http://mixbus.harrisonconsoles.com/forum...ml#pid9862

So what is the EXACT step by step method to do this? Bullet points with links, EXACTLY where to install things, how to get LAME and MB to see each other...whatever info is needed.

I have zero interest in tech/geek stuff and really just want to export high quality MP3's out of MB. If I need to do other install steps to make that happen then please let me know exactly how.

The LAME website says they only provide source code(??)....Here is what the text says..."LAME is only distribued in source code form. For binaries and GUI based programs which can use LAME (or include fully licensed versions of LAME), check the LAME related links. All software from the LAME project can be found in the project's file area."

Uhmmm....I am no computer programmer...that's all Greek to me...just want a platform that has the basic stuff implemented. Please help with the bullet points on how to do this.

I am on and iMac running OS 10.12.6

Thanks for any help....trying make MB work for me....but it's the simple things that are normally implemented that seem to be making me work hard.

gregg

(09-07-2017, 08:33 PM)Gregg White Wrote:
(09-07-2017, 07:44 PM)Dingo Wrote: http://mixbus.harrisonconsoles.com/forum...ml#pid9862

So what is the EXACT step by step method to do this? Bullet points with links, EXACTLY where to install things, how to get LAME and MB to see each other...whatever info is needed.

I have zero interest in tech/geek stuff and really just want to export high quality MP3's out of MB. If I need to do other install steps to make that happen then please let me know exactly how.

The LAME website says they only provide source code(??)....Here is what the text says..."LAME is only distribued in source code form. For binaries and GUI based programs which can use LAME (or include fully licensed versions of LAME), check the LAME related links. All software from the LAME project can be found in the project's file area."

Uhmmm....I am no computer programmer...that's all Greek to me...just want a platform that has the basic stuff implemented. Please help with the bullet points on how to do this.

I am on and iMac running OS 10.12.6

Thanks for any help....trying make MB work for me....but it's the simple things that are normally implemented that seem to be making me work hard.

gregg

To answer my own question I found the following info across a few pages of posts and it worked for me:

1) Download LAME from this link: http://thalictrum.com/en/products/lame
It does the entire install for you with no extra steps needed on your part.

2) Use the following script in the Export area of MB to create MP3's at 320:

lame -b320 %f

It ended up being simpler once I found the pieces to follow....I think LOGIC has me spoilt in that that you never had to search all over the internet do do things like make and MP3.

Good thing MB sounds so great though....I would have passed on this platform a while ago.....but i am sticking around for now.

Best
(09-07-2017, 08:33 PM)Gregg White Wrote: It ended up being simpler once I found the pieces to follow....I think LOGIC has me spoilt in that that you never had to search all over the internet do do things like make and MP3.

The MP3 patents ran out a few months ago, so chances are MP3 will be built in natively into more products.

MMM
(09-07-2017, 08:33 PM)Gregg White Wrote: To answer my own question I found the following info across a few pages of posts and it worked for me:

lame -b320 %f

It ended up being simpler once I found the pieces to follow....I think LOGIC has me spoilt in that that you never had to search all over the internet do do things like make and MP3.

Good thing MB sounds so great though....I would have passed on this platform a while ago.....but i am sticking around for now.

Good you figured it all out. There are many MP3 encoders available. Mixbus gives you the choice instead of just giving you one built in. It is a few more hoops to jump through but the added flexibility is worth it IMO. I also use FFMPEG in addition to LAME because it gives yet even more flexibility to export in multiple formats simultaneously (ie DTS, AC3) while using the LAME library for MP3 export. LAME is the BEST MP3 encoder available, commercial or free. Google it; all listening tests prove it hands down.

BTW, Welcome to the Mixbus family. Glad you are here and hope you have a great experience with it!
ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 w/AMD FX™-8350 Eight-Core Processor 32GB RAM
M-Audio Delta 1010 / Echo AudioFire 12
Mixbus v7.x on Fedora 33 64bit
(09-07-2017, 10:26 PM)Lexridge Wrote:
(09-07-2017, 08:33 PM)Gregg White Wrote: To answer my own question I found the following info across a few pages of posts and it worked for me:

lame -b320 %f

Good you figured it all out. There are many MP3 encoders available. Mixbus gives you the choice instead of just giving you one built in. It is a few more hoops to jump through but the added flexibility is worth it IMO. I also use FFMPEG in addition to LAME because it gives yet even more flexibility to export in multiple formats simultaneously (ie DTS, AC3) while using the LAME library for MP3 export. LAME is the BEST MP3 encoder available, commercial or free. Google it; all listening tests prove it hands down.

BTW, Welcome to the Mixbus family. Glad you are here and hope you have a great experience with it!

Thanks for the welcome note! Feels like a mature community here. I like that. At the end of the day once I get through the process of ironing out the initial bugs and mental adjustment I am sure I will enjoy the total experience. 90% of the time I am lost in the amazing sound quality and that is why i am making the conversion. The rest is trying to figure out this new open source approach and the techno areas that I never really got into.

I am am happy to be learning new things though, and mostly happy to be working with the MB 32c legacy.

Best to you.

Gregg
Great thread here as I've wanted to do the .mp3 from here also. I'm totally with you. I've done two mixes this evening that sound just warm and smooth as butter...and totally different genres. One is a Prince style Minneapolis funk thing and the other is a Bruce Springsteen "I'm on Fire" vibe. I'm getting faster with every mix. I'm using about 2-3 plugins in each song.
Windows 10 64, HP Z-220 Workstation, I7 3770 16 GB RAM, RME Multiface 2, PCIe
Mac OS Sierra, 2012 Mac Mini, i5 16 GB RAM, Behringer XR18
Mixbus 32C 6.2.26
Harrison MixBus V5.2
Presonus Studio One 5
Statesboro, GA, USA
(09-07-2017, 10:32 PM)Gregg White Wrote: Thanks for the welcome note! Feels like a mature community here. I like that. At the end of the day once I get through the process of ironing out the initial bugs and mental adjustment I am sure I will enjoy the total experience. 90% of the time I am lost in the amazing sound quality and that is why i am making the conversion. The rest is trying to figure out this new open source approach and the techno areas that I never really got into.

I am am happy to be learning new things though, and mostly happy to be working with the MB 32c legacy.

Best to you.

Gregg

Well, for sure there a lot of us OLDER guys around here. Big Grin I am finally getting into figuring this all out, but it isn't my full time job. I'm trying to get some 30+ year old tapes archived and remixed.

There are very nice, knowledgeable folks on here.

Bruce
I looked into this a while ago. They are developing it in Ardour (on which Mixbus is built) and it should eventually feed through to Mixbus in due course.
(09-08-2017, 12:58 PM)English Guy Wrote: I looked into this a while ago. They are developing it in Ardour (on which Mixbus is built) and it should eventually feed through to Mixbus in due course.

Hopefully it will be based on the LAME libraries as it seems to be the best out there for MP3 conversion. It amazes me that MP3 is still the predominate format after so many years. AAC and possibly OGG are technically better, but for some reason not as popular or as accepted. It is a bit humorous to me that MP3 has basically outlived the CD.

Speaking of conversion and taking this conversation a lot deeper; I realize that FFMPEG has an awful learning curve, but if you can make the effort to learn it, OMG it is simply the best thing since canned beer! Especially if you can build it yourself loaded up with every conceivable compile option. It's capabilities are seemingly endless. And it is not just for video, but is a very major player in audio conversion, subtitles, embedded lyrics and even real time streaming. You name it, it can probably do it. I consider myself a ffmpeg expert, and I still learn new abilities frequently. What a project! If you have not used it in a long time, the new syntax is way more logical than older versions, which were a total cluster fsck!

For the broadcasting folks, there is even a broadcast fork called FFMbc which supports professional video formats such as DVCProHD, DNxHD and XDCAM.
ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 w/AMD FX™-8350 Eight-Core Processor 32GB RAM
M-Audio Delta 1010 / Echo AudioFire 12
Mixbus v7.x on Fedora 33 64bit