Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I extract a single song from a live show?
I recorded a live show a couple of weeks ago and I've started mixing on one of the songs but I'd really like to extract all the tracks *EDIT - "for one song" out of the whole session and "import" them into their own session. How do I do this and keep the whole concert's files too?

Thanks guys!

Mike
You could bounce the stems for just that range, then import those to a new season. Or, do a save as and delete everything else. Probably more ways too, I just started using mixbus as my main daw and pretty much only record live shows, so I understand why you want to do this.

Snapshots may be of use here too.
(05-07-2017, 05:34 PM)MikeA57 Wrote: I recorded a live show a couple of weeks ago and I've started mixing on one of the songs but I'd really like to extract all the tracks *EDIT - "for one song" out of the whole session and "import" them into their own session. How do I do this and keep the whole concert's files too?

1) make a selection over the length of the song, right-click into the selection and chose "add range markers", rename the range if you like.

2) go to session -> export audio: create a new export format if you haven't done that already: something else, <sample rate>, 32bit float -- untick the normalize, CUE, TOC boxes, save under a name (mine is "full resolution")

3) in the time span tab choose the selection you made before
4) in the channels tab choose the tracks you want to export
5) {press the button}
6) find your exported tracks as wav files in the export folder

HTH
MMM

P.S. ...of course you could make ranges for every song, select them in export and this way export all songs as multitracks separated in a single shot

(05-07-2017, 06:22 PM)mrufino1 Wrote: Snapshots may be of use here too.

Absolutely. Make a snapshot named after the song and switch to it, then "delete" everything you don't need and set your start/end markers.

MMM
IMHO
Mixbus should be able to create a new project from a song of a long recording without the needed steps of
export and reimport into a project, that has to be set again to current parameters...
If I delete unwanted tracks / regions there is no undo AFAIK, and
keeping the long recording project 'as is' isn't possible since the working snapshot seems to be overwritten by actually working…
In Digital Performer i.e., if I work on a project, the file is actually only overwritten when doing a save, thus returning to a previous state by undo is always possible .

Klaus
Macmini core2duo / i7
OS 10.10-10.13
http://www.redmountain.ch/X32CoreFOHandBandclient.jpg
Maybe an other request for a lua script? A one button " make a new session from range" action.
°°°
Mac Mini M1 --> RME Multiface II
MacBook Air M1
Thinkpad T430 16gb --> Ubuntustudio 64bit --> Multiface II / SoundDevices USBpre2
(05-08-2017, 02:20 AM)Klaus Wrote: If I delete unwanted tracks / regions there is no undo AFAIK, and
keeping the long recording project 'as is' isn't possible since the working snapshot seems to be overwritten by actually working…

Klaus that's not correct. In a non destructive environment there's nothing physically deleted. That's why I put the "deleted" into " ".
Also, snapshots are not overwriting one another: try it yourself, make a few snapshots where you change a thing in each. Then you can go back and forth or have the choice on Mixbus start respectively.
So creating a named region and making a snapshot is one efficient thing.
I did exactly this on the current EP of a live band.

MMM
Viele Gruesse aus Adelaide
(05-08-2017, 04:27 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(05-08-2017, 02:20 AM)Klaus Wrote: If I delete unwanted tracks / regions there is no undo AFAIK, and

Klaus that's not correct. In a non destructive environment there's nothing physically deleted. That's why I put the "deleted" into " ".
Also, snapshots are not overwriting one another: try it yourself, make a few snapshots where you change a thing in each. Then you can go back and forth or have the choice on Mixbus start respectively.
So creating a named region and making a snapshot is one efficient thing.
I did exactly this on the current EP of a live band.

MMM
Viele Gruesse aus Adelaide

If you don't clean up deleted stuff, you are right…

But I want to create a cleaned up 'new' song project from within the 'long recording' project...
When I tried export or bounce, it included any gain settings of regions…to complicated for me.
Please advice how to create a 1 song only project - step - by - step - from within the 'long recorded project' - and leave the 'long recorded project' intact.
Thanks a lot in advance and
best regards

Klaus
Macmini core2duo / i7
OS 10.10-10.13
(05-08-2017, 07:52 AM)Klaus Wrote: Please advice how to create a 1 song only project - step - by - step - from within the 'long recorded project' - and leave the 'long recorded project' intact.
Thanks a lot in advance and

Oh I thought I have done that here:
http://mixbus.harrisonconsoles.com/forum...l#pid27758

Use "stem" export instead of "export to audio file" and make sure the "apply processing" box in the channels tab is unticked.

I think exporting your song this way and importing it into a fresh session is the cleanest way possible. I'm not sure if that can be automated, you would at least have to specify the range and which tracks you want to be in the new session and where you want this session to be saved and if you want the audio files copied or referenced... then you close Mixbus and open it with the new session. By then you have done as many mouse clicks as with the stem export variant Smile
If you "hardwire" some of the selections you can be sure that 2 seconds later someone has a feature request to make this flexible Tongue

MMM
Thanks !
I just checked the stem export and it includes any region gain settings in the tracks,
although I unchecked 'processing'
Until we get a proper '1 song only export' feature, I'll have to edit
- not - in Mixbus

Best regards

Klaus
Macmini core2duo / i7
OS 10.10-10.13
(05-09-2017, 05:09 AM)Klaus Wrote: Thanks !
I just checked the stem export and it includes any region gain settings in the tracks,
although I unchecked 'processing'
Until we get a proper '1 song only export' feature, I'll have to edit
- not - in Mixbus

LOL that's your good right and choice Big Grin
But, out of curiosity, where does the region gain come from? I mean this thread started with the situation "freshly recorded concert". I can only speak of my own workflow and this workflow has a snapshot of the raw recording session right "after the fact" and before I touch anything. That way I can always return to start if I get lost and this snapshot is the one I would use for the song export and what I would hand out to the band if they want to have the multitrack to be mixed elsewhere.

How do you handle this?

Best,
MMM