Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I extract a single song from a live show?
@Klaus:

Of -course- a track stem should include the track edits, fades & levels. That's what you see in the editor. What else could it possibly do?

You've started several threads on our forum, asking how to split a lice show into several sessions. I've seen several answers from knowledgeable users who do this regularly. There are multiple ways to do it. But apparently none of the suggestions work for you.

Perhaps we should try a different direction:

How do you split sessions in your other DAW? Perhaps we can tell you which buttons to click in Mixbus to achieve the same result.

Best,
-Ben
(05-09-2017, 08:06 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: @Klaus:

Of -course- a track stem should include the track edits, fades & levels. That's what you see in the editor. What else could it possibly do?

You've started several threads on our forum, asking how to split a lice show into several sessions. I've seen several answers from knowledgeable users who do this regularly. There are multiple ways to do it. But apparently none of the suggestions work for you.

How do you split sessions in your other DAW? Perhaps we can tell you which buttons to click in Mixbus to achieve the same result.

Best,
-Ben

I start with creating sep. regioms / files from a selection, and that's where Mixbus seems to include gain processing…

not with my other DAW.

Then I select with cross-drag all unwanted regions ( it selects the whole unwanted regions although not cross-draged exactly everything, that seems to work only once in Mixbus, at least here )
and *remove* ( not delete ) from tracks.
Then select unused regions in region list and *remove* ( not delete ) from the region list
Here, Mixbus throws a 'is destructive message', and that's why I can't go on…in Mixbus.
Then I create a new streamlined project by save as and include audio.
This gives a separate project folder with all that's needed for that song.
Then I'm still on the starting project and undo everything I did to create the new project. That brings me back to the starting point !
Then I flush all later undo entries.
Finished.
The main problem seems to be that Mixbus does not cache but overwrite certain steps in the project file ( .ardour ) thus reverting by undo isn't consequent, IMHO.
Please understand that I *probably* do not know everything in Mixbus, and please correct me

@ Ben,
I just checked and didn't find threads that I started except replying…but I asked several times when I thought it was relevant,
sorrrry if it wasn't. I was locking for a way to create files from regions without *any* processing, not even fade ins / outs, gains, and create a new project just like cut with scissors to continue on working, and that new project could include mixer settings, but not edits.

BTW, if I cut like this in my other DAW and later join the 2 adjacent projects , there is no click, no fade, just a 'playthru' thru the CD track markers

Thanks a lot and
best regards

Klaus
Macmini core2duo / i7
OS 10.10-10.13
http://www.redmountain.ch/X32CoreFOHandBandclient.jpg
If I (the OP), may chime in here...

I'm not trying to confuse things, but I was able to export the Stems of the 8 tracks for the song I'm working on into the Export folder of a new project and then re-import them and VOILA! I had sound. One thing I didn't think about though was the stems came across without any of my automation moves, plug-ins, EQ changes, Compressor settings, etc. OOOPs!!

After thinking about it, this seems "right" but at the same time, I'd already started mixing and had all my plug-ins up and running, the instruments EQ'd and so on. It was for all intents and purposes an almost done mix, and I thought I'd be able to extract the tracks in their processed state into a new project. Since I recorded the whole concert as a single file, once I get all the instruments set up with EQ, plug-ins, Compression, busses for reverb and dual processing, etc, I don't want to have to redo all that all over again. So, I guess I'll just keep the session as a whole and get my sounds dialed in then set a range for each song and as I finish the automation moves and tweaks for that song, I'll just export that range as a 2 track file.

I could see the benefit of having the option of exporting a range of multiple tracks with all the processing included into a new project file ("Processed Stems" or "Export Region as new Project" maybe???) Or am I way off base here?

Whew, you computer geeks sure know how to make things difficult! (I just remember putting a roll of tape on the multitrack machine, aligning it, setting up mics, getting sounds, arming the tape machine, and hitting record. Easy breeezy!!! HA HA!!!! I'm digging at you Ben, but it's all in fun. :-D)

Thanks for ALL OF YOUR HELP!! You've awesome!!!
Mike
(05-15-2017, 10:40 PM)MikeA57 Wrote: Whew, you computer geeks sure know how to make things difficult! (I just remember putting a roll of tape on the multitrack machine, aligning it, setting up mics, getting sounds, arming the tape machine, and hitting record. Easy breeezy!!! HA HA!!!! I'm digging at you Ben, but it's all in fun. :-D)

...until you realise: "MAN! On track 11 there was that awesome guitar solo! Now there is a stupid BGV!" *pull hairs* *facepalm* *expletives*

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
MMM
(05-09-2017, 03:48 PM)Klaus Wrote:
(05-09-2017, 08:06 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: @Klaus:

Best,
-Ben

I start with creating sep. regioms / files from a selection, and that's where Mixbus seems to include gain processing…

not with my other DAW.

Then I select with cross-drag all unwanted regions ( it selects the whole unwanted regions although not cross-draged exactly everything, that seems to work only once in Mixbus, at least here )
and *remove* ( not delete ) from tracks.
Then select unused regions in region list and *remove* ( not delete ) from the region list
Here, Mixbus throws a 'is destructive message', and that's why I can't go on…in Mixbus.
Then I create a new streamlined project by save as and include audio.
This gives a separate project folder with all that's needed for that song.
Then I'm still on the starting project and undo everything I did to create the new project. That brings me back to the starting point !
Then I flush all later undo entries.
Finished.
The main problem seems to be that Mixbus does not cache but overwrite certain steps in the project file ( .ardour ) thus reverting by undo isn't consequent, IMHO.
Please understand that I *probably* do not know everything in Mixbus, and please correct me

@ Ben,
I just checked and didn't find threads that I started except replying…but I asked several times when I thought it was relevant,
sorrrry if it wasn't. I was locking for a way to create files from regions without *any* processing, not even fade ins / outs, gains, and create a new project just like cut with scissors to continue on working, and that new project could include mixer settings, but not edits.

BTW, if I cut like this in my other DAW and later join the 2 adjacent projects , there is no click, no fade, just a 'playthru' thru the CD track markers

Thanks a lot and
best regards

Klaus

Maybe try this. And fwiw I record our church services every week. So I am used to long live recordings.

First I would make a second copy of the initial recording and store that safely away in case I misinform you and I don't want you to lose anything.

Okay once you have all the audio imported. And make sure you copy audio files to folder when you do this. Do whatever you want done to all the songs. Once that is done. Create a snapshot and name it something so you know it still has all audio. Now close mixbus and create a copy of the entire folder again. I'm pretty paranoid about losing something. Plus it will probably be needed again here soon. Reopen the session and do as you've done before and cut away any unwanted audio.

Now in the edit window, highlight the remaining audio you want for the first song. Right click on those regions. In the menu that pops up, "select > set range to selected regions". Now right click again and "consolidate range." This will bake in any gain changes you've done. So be aware if that.

Now in the edit window, on the right in editor list, make sure it's set to show the regions. Right click in there and select "remove unused". This is why we made a second copy. I believe this actually just removes reference from the audio being in the session. But just to make sure.

Now you can do a "save as" and rename it as whatever you want. Make sure you copy media into new session. And you should have a session just for that song, with only its audio. I think you should be able to open the earlier "all audio" snapshot and be back where you were. If not you have a copy of that whole folder to re use. Smile

That all said, I decided to just keep everything in one session and automate as needed. In the long run it's simpler for what I do.
I do 1 song projects because of performance…
Editing on a 3 hr project vs 4 min project is a difference to me…
Maybe it's related to my rig, but it is a difference
Best

Klaus
Macmini core2duo / i7
OS 10.10-10.13
(05-16-2017, 05:48 AM)Klaus Wrote: I do 1 song projects because of performance…
Editing on a 3 hr project vs 4 min project is a difference to me…
Maybe it's related to my rig, but it is a difference
Best

Klaus

I can imagine. We normally have 5-6 songs total. The rest is speaking and videos and what not. So it's easy for me to keep in one session. I initially was breaking it up. But then to bounce out all the parts and import into cd burning software just got tedious. Now I export the entire service. Import into cd software and make the tracks their. But everyone will definitely do things different.
(05-16-2017, 04:47 AM)Matt Wrote: Now in the edit window, on the right in editor list, make sure it's set to show the regions. Right click in there and select "remove unused". This is why we made a second copy. I believe this actually just removes reference from the audio being in the session. But just to make sure.

I believe that, too. Otherwise the whole idea of snapshots would be nonsense. But, to double check, a quick experiment can be done quickly.
I personally don't care if they are sitting in the list - I "delete" them in the editor, set start/end and Bob's my uncle. Why create dozens of new sessions with gigabytes of duplicate data when snapshots work so well?
MMM
I wrote 6 posts earlier
...Then select unused regions in region list and *remove* ( not delete ) from the region list

Klaus
Macmini core2duo / i7
OS 10.10-10.13
(05-17-2017, 02:54 AM)Klaus Wrote: I wrote 6 posts earlier
...Then select unused regions in region list and *remove* ( not delete ) from the region list

Klaus

Ummm, just a dumb remark: in the time you spent here to explain you could have made a copy of your session and tried for yourself. We are not talking about the unreplaceable session tape here and digital copies are lossless.
Well at least I'm now curious enough to do that experiment myself.
Smile
MMM