Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixbus Essentials for Linux
Thanks, Ben!
(02-08-2017, 05:28 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(02-07-2017, 11:07 AM)youki Wrote: And yes, the LV2s are included with Ardour5.

Oh, didn't know that... Still, that means you can use them with anything which knows LV2, it's just a matter of path setting (like with /opt/Mixbus-xx/lib/LV2)
MMM

If I was a pro rather than just doing this for fun, I think I'd go the opposite way and remove normal lv2s from the Mixbus paths. Any lv2s I wanted I'd copy into the Mixbus lv2 folder and point other apps there. This way I could control updates and have a stable studio setup to ensure recalls of old mixes sounded the same. I can see it being a nightmare pulling up an old session and trying to figure out which upgrade changed the sound if I didn't lock things down.
(02-09-2017, 08:00 AM)Domino Wrote: If I was a pro rather than just doing this for fun, I think I'd go the opposite way and remove normal lv2s from the Mixbus paths. Any lv2s I wanted I'd copy into the Mixbus lv2 folder and point other apps there. This way I could control updates and have a stable studio setup to ensure recalls of old mixes sounded the same. I can see it being a nightmare pulling up an old session and trying to figure out which upgrade changed the sound if I didn't lock things down.

I love the idea of a central repo keeping only the used/useful plugins (not only LV2) and cut out the rest. I will perhaps take this much further. Like versioning, keeping on a central source, mapping it out...

MMM
(02-10-2017, 06:44 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote: I love the idea of a central repo keeping only the used/useful plugins (not only LV2) and cut out the rest. I will perhaps take this much further. Like versioning, keeping on a central source, mapping it out...

MMM

It gets a bit complicated if you have multiple Mixbus versions on the go - which version is tied to what date for the plugins central source?

That's why copying into the Mixbus folder appealed to me. New Mixbus, upgrade everything and copy in.. Restore an archived Mixbus install and get all plugins you used in that version back.. Multiple versions installed with matching plugins at same time just works.. Upgrading a plugin already copied in only to be done with extreme caution..

That's one bit of the Mixbus workflow I'm fairly confident I have right even if I don't practice it, though as always I'm open to learning something new. If there's an easier way I might even start doing it (I'm lazy!)
Laziness made Konrad Zuse build the first computer eventually [WHITE SMILING FACE]

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
Tho this is a thread about the Essentials plugins, I have been enjoying using the Calf plugins.....they are doing most everything I need ATM......Cool
(02-11-2017, 12:11 PM)Smurf Wrote: Tho this is a thread about the Essentials plugins, I have been enjoying using the Calf plugins.....they are doing most everything I need ATM......Cool

I've tried the Calf plugins, and while they're cool and all, they have a tendency to crash my system. And I think Mixbus is crash prone enough as it is.
(02-11-2017, 12:11 PM)Smurf Wrote: Tho this is a thread about the Essentials plugins, I have been enjoying using the Calf plugins.....they are doing most everything I need ATM......Cool

I love them, too... and I would call the spectrum analyser essential Smile
MMM
(02-11-2017, 04:07 PM)haraldthi Wrote:

I've tried the Calf plugins, and while they're cool and all, they have a tendency to crash my system. And I think Mixbus is crash prone enough as it is.

The Calf plugins are indeed very good! Strange your MB crashes often. Mine has never crashed on me.
ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 w/AMD FX™-8350 Eight-Core Processor 32GB RAM
M-Audio Delta 1010 / Echo AudioFire 12
Mixbus v7.x on Fedora 33 64bit
(02-13-2017, 03:19 PM)Lexridge Wrote: The Calf plugins are indeed very good!

That's news to me. But YMMV of course...

Quote:Strange your MB crashes often. Mine has never crashed on me.

They are definitely known to cause such issues - crashes, preventing sessions to be reloaded, etc...

...apart from that the fact that there are several Calf plugins with misbehaving DSP or at least not doing what they are intended to do - unless that has changed the past couple of months.

There are numerous better alternatives out there on Linux - maybe just not with so much bling.
Disclaimer: Any resemblance of my nick with a given engineer is purely coincidental!
Desktop: AMD Phenom II x6, 4 GB RAM, Radeon graphics, RME HDSP 9652
Laptop: Thinkpad E560, i3 6100U, 8 GB RAM, Intel graphics, Tascam US-2x2
X32 Rack - Debian GNU/Linux - 32c