Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AV Linux 2016.8.30 with Mixbus 3.6 Released!
(09-15-2016, 03:55 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote: First I thought the repo was down, so I checked back today.
Run the live dvd, if you can install using synaptic from the live session,
perhaps the apt-get update brought in a new version that has issues.
A quick reinstall might be good, and then only update plugins
instruments, players etc -nothing system-related,
as you settle in to the working environment.
Use an external drive install, for testing,
and portability beyond the laptop.

I checked at the kx-studio forum, link below, and no reports
of the KX repo having problems.

https://www.linuxmusicians.com/viewforum.php?f=47

As a general tip, go to synaptic prefs, 'Files', and choose to
keep downloaded files (.deb extensions) in the cache.
This will allow you to begin a collection of files to fall back on,
if some update fails, you can reinstall a hoarded older version.
(you can then also reinstall existing items of interest, to get
those packages .deb files for safekeeping)

Later, as your collection has grown, before doing a fresh install
for a friend/family, copy your goto apps
to /var/cache/apt/archives/
This can save some download time, as synaptic will
re-use items that don't have newer versions available.

In synaptic, right-click on a file to see it's properties,
to see the installed apps version. You can also
set synaptic prefs 'Columns-Fonts' to show both installed
and available app versions.
Cheers
(09-15-2016, 07:24 PM)micksedan Wrote: Run the live dvd, if you can install using synaptic from the live session,
perhaps the apt-get update brought in a new version that has issues.

Yeah would have been my next step, if it works I will copy the apt-configs into the installation, can't break anything anyway, it's a fresh installation, so the worst case is a reinstall...
I don't think any apt-related stuff has changed (other than possible copy error), I didn't change anything before I ran apt-get update, I avoid running apt-get upgrade or dist-upgrade on AVLinux. Hence my plan above.

(09-15-2016, 07:24 PM)micksedan Wrote: I checked at the kx-studio forum, link below, and no reports
of the KX repo having problems.

https://www.linuxmusicians.com/viewforum.php?f=47

Same result here Smile
Thanks for your time, it's highly appreciated.

MMM
Hi,

Not sure why you can't install anything, most of those errors are actually warnings and are to be expected unfortunately because of this:
https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Apt/Sha1Removal

Try reloading Synaptic on a fresh boot and see if you can install things then
(09-17-2016, 02:33 PM)GMaq Wrote: Hi,

Not sure why you can't install anything, most of those errors are actually warnings and are to be expected unfortunately because of this:
https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Apt/Sha1Removal

Try reloading Synaptic on a fresh boot and see if you can install things then

Hi Glen,

yeah I'm not worried about the warnings. It's the errors (E) which obciously keep apt from working. I get that same message in the CLI or as an error box in Synaptic.
Yesterday I tried with a fresh live boot, same result. Today I will try with a different computer and/or a fresh download to make sure I did even the funniest thing...

8<-----------------------------------------------------------------
E: Encountered a section with no Package: header
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/downloads.sourceforge.net_project_ubuntuzilla_mozilla_apt_dists_all_main_binary-amd64_Packages
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.
8<-----------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers,
MMM
Hi,

Hmmm, sorry for the inconvenience, this is the only report of this issue.

Try this in a root terminal:

rm /var/lib/apt/lists/downloads.sourceforge.net_project_ubuntuzilla_mozilla_apt_dists_all_main_binary-amd64_Packages

Then see if it will Reload then...
(09-18-2016, 09:29 AM)GMaq Wrote: Hmmm, sorry for the inconvenience, this is the only report of this issue.

Haha that's good news.

(09-18-2016, 09:29 AM)GMaq Wrote: rm /var/lib/apt/lists/downloads.sourceforge.net_project_ubuntuzilla_mozilla_apt_dists_all_main_binary-amd64_Packages

Will do. I will report how it went. Thanks for your time.

Cheers,
MM
(09-18-2016, 05:37 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(09-18-2016, 09:29 AM)GMaq Wrote: rm /var/lib/apt/lists/downloads.sourceforge.net_project_ubuntuzilla_mozilla_apt_dists_all_main_binary-amd64_Packages

No luck... on apt-get update it reloads the list but same error. Then I deleted the list without apt-get update, synaptic complains about the next in row (...-i386_Packages). Deleted this and Synaptic complains about Main...
Anyway, as I wrote, I had nothing to lose at this point and nothing depends on the lappy atm, so I deleted all in /var/lib/apt/lists. This lets synaptic start lightning fast, but of course only show the installed packages. Do an apt-get update and you are back to error...
Haha in the meantime I have downloaded a fresh image and burned it to DVD (the first one was on USB stick via unetbootin), let's see if I was just unlucky with the image and unetbootin...
I will keep you update.

Cheers,
MMM
(09-18-2016, 07:21 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote: I will keep you update.

Yeah sorry no luck at all. Now: I tried the "old" AVL2016 - with exactly the same error! The "old" one worked a charm until now on my studio machine, so I better do no apt-get update there as it must have the correct lists (for most of the stuff at least).
Something must have changed in the repos...
HTH
MMM
Weird!

OK it appears the 'Ubuntuzilla' repo (provides 3rd party Mozilla builds of Firefox and Thunderbird) is misbehaving (or down), what if we comment it out:

In a Root Terminal: mousepad /etc/apt/sources.list

This will open the software sources list, comment out the 'UBUNTUZILLA' repository, save the sources.list file

Reload Synaptic and see what happens...
(09-19-2016, 07:40 AM)GMaq Wrote: OK it appears the 'Ubuntuzilla' repo (provides 3rd party Mozilla builds of Firefox and Thunderbird) is misbehaving (or down), what if we comment it out:

LOL I could have come to that myself... anyway, that works, thank you again. Now I can take my "real" laptop into holidays instead of the kids' Windows thing Smile

Cheers,
MMM