Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
AVLinux 2016 is available now
(05-02-2016, 11:30 AM)Frank Wrote: Your on linux : disk dump the iso on a usb stick ?

dd if=isofile of=/dev/stick ?

I often see all kind of tools around, but old mighty dd does the trick i think

regards

Wouldn't using dd require to have a USB-Stick of the same size as the source HDD ?

But, if that works I guess installing GRUB onto that USB drive is needed to make it bootable.

I've also read on some other sites/forums that it's as easy as pointing the installer to the USB-Drive instead of the HDD (sound's simple enough).
MIX3US 32C | Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 | Debian GNU/Linux with OpenBox
[Image: 4280.png]
(05-02-2016, 12:06 PM)Patrick Kox Wrote:
(05-02-2016, 11:30 AM)Frank Wrote: Your on linux : disk dump the iso on a usb stick ?

regards

Wouldn't using dd require to have a USB-Stick of the same size as the source HDD ?

But, if that works I guess installing GRUB onto that USB drive is needed to make it bootable.

I've also read on some other sites/forums that it's as easy as pointing the installer to the USB-Drive instead of the HDD (sound's simple enough).

The data should fit on the stick and it does help if you make it bootable sometimes...

but AVlinux does have a manual with installation instructions

here it is

regards
Frank W. Kooistra

- MMB32C 9.1, AD/DA: Motu:1248, 8A, 8D, Monitor8. X-Touch,, Mini M1 11.6.2, venture 13.3 plugins melda fabfilter harrison No Harrison CP-1 
AVLinux brings Systemback as a standard backup tool.
Systemback is usable on all Debian and Ubuntu based distros.

Systemback is very easy to use, fast and extremely functionable.
Here is a quick description of it's general functionality:
http://www.techrepublic.com/article/crea...ystemback/

Systemback is the tool, that is already used to compile the original AVLinux distribution and it's installation/live media.
Learning to use it is a matter of minutes. It works out-of-the-box.

With about 5 clicks the job is done.
Open Systemback.
-"live system create"
-decide wheter to include user files with a checkbox click
-"create new"
- select created .sblive live image in a list
-"select write target" (usb stick, automatically shown in a list, selected with one click)
-"write to usb"
DONE.

PS: This procedure already made all USB sticks bootable that i tested yet. No additional action needed.
Tnx, I'll give it a try
(05-02-2016, 12:06 PM)Patrick Kox Wrote:

regards

The stick should be bigger than the isofile
The iso file has everything installed including the bootmanager. No no need to grub.
The bootpartition should be flagged bootable with fdisk that is all

everytime i see new handy tools come around , which you have to learn again : and remember the name.
The basic tools have been there all the time: and work the same on any xxnix system. from the biggest supercomputer to a watch to Mac, andriod you name it...

regards
Frank W. Kooistra

- MMB32C 9.1, AD/DA: Motu:1248, 8A, 8D, Monitor8. X-Touch,, Mini M1 11.6.2, venture 13.3 plugins melda fabfilter harrison No Harrison CP-1 
Frank,
Sorry I misread your initial post.
I thought you said dd if=/dev/sdx of=/dev/stick

I tried this once on a 250GB drive and it took ages to copy the entire drive (including all empty space).

The mistake was that I was talking about making MY debian installation a Live USB where I guess you are talking about the AV Linux ISO/Installation.
(05-03-2016, 09:29 AM)Patrick Kox Wrote: Frank,
Sorry I misread your initial post.
I thought you said dd if=/dev/sdx of=/dev/stick

I tried this once on a 250GB drive and it took ages to copy the entire drive (including all empty space).

The mistake was that I was talking about making MY debian installation a Live USB where I guess you are talking about the AV Linux ISO/Installation.

Maybe i have been to concise : but yes DD can copy anything from anywhere that is the beauty of it, it can even do conversions
If you type man dd : you will be baffled or go here

So if = inputfile : where you get the data from : and as you saw that can be anything
Usuallu i first determine how the USB device is called : I plug it is and run fdisk

fdisk -l

you will see what device it is : if you doubt , unmount it, run fdisk -l en plug in in and run fdisk -l : the device which is added is you stick

to make it ready you can empty it with fdisk :
fdisk /dev/yourusb

d deletes the partition
p prints the partition table
n creates a new partition
when ready make sure you write the partition table to disk , with w

read all about in in man fdisk
to format it is mkfs : man mkfs

man mkfs..

well

regards
Frank W. Kooistra

(05-03-2016, 10:20 AM)Frank Wrote: Usually i first determine how the USB device is called : I plug it is and run fdisk

fdisk -l

I just use dmesg after plugging the pen drive to see what's it called.
The desktop has a 2nd hard drive and a build-in card reader with 4 ports so in most cases the USB is /dev/sdi (/dev/sdi1).
(05-03-2016, 10:59 AM)Patrick Kox Wrote:
(05-03-2016, 10:20 AM)Frank Wrote: Usually i first determine how the USB device is called : I plug it is and run fdisk

fdisk -l

I just use dmesg after plugging the pen drive to see what's it called.
The desktop has a 2nd hard drive and a build-in card reader with 4 ports so in most cases the USB is /dev/sdi (/dev/sdi1).

Dmesg is a way, pipe it through grep /dev to get just the devices otherwise a lot of reading : but true you get to know your system
Frank W. Kooistra

I downloaded the new version but the password is not working for me