Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MB4 as a plug-in?
sorry for the noise, but when looking for some solutions to my problems with MB3/Logic X "cooperation"... appeared the idea...

MB3 as a plug-in?

why not?

at least lets talk about it, please

why not abandon the complicated idea of MB/Jack/other DAW connection?

maybe it should go two main parallel ways:

1 MB + Ardour (now upon long deliberation... I am voting for this)
2 MB as a plug-in (without Ardour) (I am voting for this with both hands)

Surely many of You know how it was made by Waves (NLS)
or by Metric Halo (although through the firewire hardware)

it can be done

what's Your opinion ? :)

[EDIT]
- VERY SORRY... I MADE MISTAKE IN THE TITLE OF THIS THREAT.
I do not want to convert the MB into plug-in. I called it wrong in the title and in this first post in the thread.
Instead of convert Mixbus ito plug-in... I want to connect Logic/PT/Samplitude... to MB through the plugin similar to Metric Halo's MIO CONSOLE CONNECT.
If You know MH product, than You know what I mean.
It really can be done.

Harrison Mixbus should be untouched. All what i sugest is...
Logic + something like MIO CONSOLE CONNECT + MB
thats all
Mac Pro 2 x 2,4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 12 GB,
Logic X, MB2.5, 3, 4,
MB32C 3.7
Win7 Intel Xeon 2.40 GHz, 64 bit, 8 GB, Reaper, MB3
Hi there,

Well, I'm note sure about Mixbus working as a plugin within a DAW, mostly because its strongest point is the simple and straightforward workflow. I think it would kind of defeat its purpose to make it work like Waves NLS, Slate's VCC, Sonimus Britson/Satson, Sknote's Stripbus, etc...

However, I REALLY think the guys from Harrison must work on a way to simplify and automate, as much as possible, the routing possibilities, meaning that they should make it simple for someone to connect his main DAW into Mixbus (and vice-versa) via Jackrouter, ReWire or similar alternatives, with just a few mouse clicks.

You know, something like: Open your main DAW > Open "Mixbus Loader" > Click "Launch" > Done.

I used to work with Computer Graphics. There are a lot of extremely complex CGI software which effortlessly communicate with each other via a similar mechanism. You just load the plugin from inside one software and it connects to another. After that, both programs are able to communicate in real time. A lot of standalone rendering engines work like this.

Anyway, honestly, I believe most producers wont be able to use Mixbus as their main DAW anytime soon. It will take quite a while until Ardour catches up with its competitors. Don't get me wrong, though. I'm just being realistic here.

So, yeah, in my opinion the guys from Harrison should find a simpler way to integrate Mixbus into people's workflow effortlessly. This is the way to go, if you ask me.

As far as I'm concerned, they could remove all the DAW features and make it strictly a virtual mixing board, as long as it's able to seamlessly communicate with other DAWs.

Just my two cents.

Cheers,

Morgan.
a plugin???? There are a lot of saturation, console or tape emulation plugins out there you can use with Logic.
And one of the things I like about Mixbus is I can do almost everything I need with it and it is much more easier to use than any other daw Ive used before. If I try to route some claps to logic, my gameboy or to my grandmas earphone is fine, if it works, better, but if not , I think I should try any other daw... I am not trying to be rude or pretend to know more than nobody, I am just trying to learn how to mix my songs, but I bought this daw for being focused, easier and limited in a good way.
MB as a plugin won't give you a logic or PT with the MB-Sound, so forget it. Please read the thread "Whats under the hood" to understand what MB does and how.
Mixbus / Linux 64bit
Why not instead ask Avid and Apple to make PT and Logic as plugins, can you imagine what they will say? ;-)

The workflow of MB is an idea of it's own (console style of mixing) - and it can record and has a powerful editor. I can't really imagine that Apple, Harrison, Avid and all the other ones want to "downgrade" their products. This products are marked as stand alone products.

However, if templates can't help you, maybe a session management can? I don't know if Windows and OSX have sessions management systems for this, but Linux has. Personally, I don't use this kind of systems as I find the Jack system itself extremely powerful and easy to route and manage. I believe that powerful options exists for OSX and Windows also.
Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox
The only thing which I have found is complicated, may be the side-chain compression. It is not a fruit of Harrison's engineers. It looks like we pushed them to release version 3 and they just did it. Not easy going not like the console workflow. Other than that, I'm so happy with MB.
About having them as a plugins, I don't like that at all. I'm tired of plugins. When I first got introduced to mixbus, the price I got as a way of twitter deal, It was extremely cheap. 25 or something. And I thought it was a plugin and said to myself "not again". After 6 month later I realised that Mixbus I got introduced was a full mixing DAW. Ended up buying it 80 or 90 dollars. If Harrison was developing a plugin I wouldn't bother to even test them.
If we are all concerned about plugins, why not trying Waves NLS and others. Waves SSL, API, Neve and UAD Harrison. Nothing can come close to Harrison in-terms of work flow. That's why I love it that's why I use it.
I feel sorry for those of you you were saying mixbus won't working. On my system, It works like a charm. People say plugin alliance doesn't work, It works on mine. They say Softube doesn't, it works on mine. I'm not exaggerating, It is working for me. And I won't ask for more.
I don't think that Mixbus will be practical as a plugin, simply because of DSP usage.
Upon startup, Mix bus as a DAW (with all dsp loaded already) reads c. 20% on my old XP computer (c. 9% on my four core system).
Now just consider Mixbus as a plugin, where each instance will have to add that amount of dsp to whatever DAW that you're using.
On top of that, imagine that you are mixing a 50 track song, where you may also use other plugins which have high dsp usage.
Depending on your system, it may work. But the average John Doe, with a more modest system will find it too much. Even Satson and Britson can add up

Also remember that Mixbus allows you to send audio from channels to each of the eight busses in an "analog" way, as opposed to a typical daw, where the sends are more 'Digital" (clicking with a mouse on a track to Assign it to a bus)

Jouvert
Mixbus/Windows- VST Plugins
Hi... thank You all.

Now I see that I could not exactly describe what I mean. I have some trouble with the English language...
so maybe that's why (sorry for that).

The most important are two main things.

firstly...

the idea is much simpler. I do not want to instantiate MB as a "saturation" on every channels in PT, Reaper or Cubase.
Instead, I wish it could worked, like Metric Halo's MIO Console works on my Logic.

I do record and edit on LX ...when mixing, monitoring and bouncing with MH virtual mixer - and it works in parallel.
I have Logic on left screen an MIO on right and it works fantastically.
Metric Halo did it this way > I open Logic's project, then do insert some little... >>>PLUG-IN<<< (that's why I said..."MB as a plug-in" :),
...do route from Logic to MIO... and that's all. Seving it as a template and voila... each next project have it!

Note... there is nothing on this "plug-in"... no buttons, no potentiometers... it just connects Logic to MIO.

What is really cool... I do open only Logic - Mio launches itself automatically !
and... I do not have to switch between The Two - - - although MIO acts as an independent program,
it operates as a part of Logic in this sense, that every Logic shortcuts (every!) works even when touching the MIO
- there is no need to focus to Logic !!!
There is no need to install, configure, open and start the Jack, no need to open MIO, no need to synchronize (whrrrrr)...
no need to open the soft in appropriate order etc.

please see the first picture (at the end of the post)

...so why I want to switch from MH MIO mixer (and its fantastic plug-ins), to HMB?
:) the answer is... it sounds much better (sorry Metric Halo).

I am pretty sure that it can be done with MB too, without degradation of sound quality, and without additional system load.
Metric Halo did it with the help of hardware and the firewire channels...

maybe Harrison could do it this way? > please see the second picture - the pink slots in Logic represents the... "THE PLUG-INS"
which could connect all Logic's tracks to the MB

In such a scenario, the MB will look - and - act - exactly the same as now. No changes on work flow or loss of quality.

-----

Secondly...

Many people will continue to work on their DAWs. We can discuss this for weeks ... but this is the real truth.
This is a kind of my private war to obtain MB for such a people... and for me of course :)

..and I know... there is the Jack, routing, synchronization...

I'm very sorry, but have to say - it doe not work.
Synchronization worked with MB2.5 but now doesn't, and for the moment... even there is no way to record in Logic
when routing via Jack to MB3. I've tried all possible combinations ...even those nonsensical.

Even when sync worked with MB2.5... I will not be pestering you :)
- it was like a disaster.

HMB community is trying to help (thank You!), but so far there is no remedy. On the manual You'll find nothing,
the same on the net (YT, KVR etc.) The people like my are almost alone when looking for help.

Please try to understand my point of view. I'm not a guy who will want to convince, that the Logic is the best or that the Mac is better than PC.
None of these things. Simply... if Ardour/Mixbuss is working for You, that's really great :) I understand, and respect it
...but after about 15 years with Logic... You know what I mean.

Ardour is not for me definitely - I would have too much to lose if giving up the Logic

and there is no way for me to go back - I love & need the Mixbus mixer :)

Best regards

[Image: Ewxk97jeLOW2NLdl]

[Image: mveklT4rzV6mVPrk]
Mac Pro 2 x 2,4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 12 GB,
Logic X, MB2.5, 3, 4,
MB32C 3.7
Win7 Intel Xeon 2.40 GHz, 64 bit, 8 GB, Reaper, MB3
(07-27-2015, 01:41 PM)zseroka Wrote: ...the idea is much simpler. I do not want to instantiate MB as a "saturation" on every channels in PT, Reaper or Cubase.
Instead, I wish it could worked, like Metric Halo's MIO Console works on my Logic.

This is exactly what I was trying to explain on my other post.

It would be absolutely perfect if Mixbus could integrate to other DAWs like MIO.

I'm confident that Mixbus would instantly become much more popular if it had such kind of feature.

Please, Harrison, we need a Mixbus Connect plugin asap!
(07-27-2015, 01:41 PM)zseroka Wrote: maybe Harrison could do it this way? > please see the second picture - the pink slots in Logic represents the... "THE PLUG-INS"
which could connect all Logic's tracks to the MB

In such a scenario, the MB will look - and - act - exactly the same as now. No changes on work flow or loss of quality.

I'm guessing a little bit here since I don't have Logic or Mac - and haven't done this before:

If I understand you right, you want for example to send Logic's track 11 to MB's Bass channel?

In that case (assuming that the bass track is empty or a sub bus you created), you right click on the bass track and chooses "New insert" and then double click the "insert n" block that now appears on the signal flow area on the top.

In the "Return/Input" top tab in the box that shows up, you should find Logic's outputs in the "Other" tab at the left. Now, you should be able to route it easily. I guess that it might be even easier with JackPilot.

EDIT: ..and this part is probably already described here.

I hope I understand you right and that this helps.
Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox