Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MB4 as a plug-in?
If you're talking about using mixbus as a mix engine, like you can the mio console, watch this video. It can be done.

http://youtu.be/nJKSImri0vA

And while I think the video explains what you mean. (And I have used metric halo interfaces. That are fantastic. So I think I'm right). I want to explain for others that come across this thread. Mixbus can't be built into a plug-in like NLS or VCC. That's because the secret to it's "sound" is in the mix engine. And it doesn't add any kind of analog coloring. Instead it's using years of Harrison knowledge to eliminate any kind of digital distortion created in the summing engine.

So while others are trying to recreate the "analog" sound with distortions/crosstalk/whatever other thing they can imagine. Harrison is going the other way. Making the cleanest/purest possible mix engine. And as someone that has used the mio console mix engine before, I can say it's the only other "digital mixer" I've ever found to sound "analog". So metric halo + mixbus is one great combo IMO.
(07-27-2015, 05:54 PM)Jostein Wrote: EDIT: ..and this part is probably already described here.

I hope I understand you right and that this helps.

Thank You Jostein

indeed... I made the description, in the thread mentioned in your post
even today I put there screenshots, trying to help to Kendo Radnaksi :)

Routing is not a problem.
Synchronization does not work
and can't record on Logic while monitoring with MB.

(07-27-2015, 08:30 PM)Matt Wrote: If you're talking about using mixbus as a mix engine, like you can the mio console, watch this video. It can be done.

http://youtu.be/nJKSImri0vA

Thank You Matt

...yes I sow this, but it partly worked only with MB2.5
...I mean with Logic X
Now when trying to do the same with MB3... it does not work at all. No sync, no rec.

(07-27-2015, 08:30 PM)Matt Wrote: Mixbus can't be built into a plug-in like NLS or VCC.

Matt, I do not want to convert the MB into plug-in. I called it wrong in my first post in this thread.
Instead of this... I want to connect Logic/PT/Samplitude... to MB through the plugin similar to MIO CONSOLE CONNECT.
If You know MH product, than You know what I mean.
It really can be done.

Harrison Mixbus should be untouched. All what i sugest is...
Logic + something like MIO CONSOLE CONNECT + MB
thats all
Mac Pro 2 x 2,4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 12 GB,
Logic X, MB2.5, 3, 4,
MB32C 3.7
Win7 Intel Xeon 2.40 GHz, 64 bit, 8 GB, Reaper, MB3
If you want to use Mixbus like as a Mixer for Logic i made this using Soundflower as driver to routing the signal from Logic X to the MixBus input channels....

1.) Install Soundflower (i'm on 10.10.4)
2.) Start Logic and set The output option of audio hardware to Soundflower (i chose the 64 channels)
3.) Start Mixbus and create a new Session with in Input the Soundflower and Output your audio device)
4.) Create in Mixbus how many channels you want (mono or stereo)
5.) In logic Route every single track or bus to the relative Soundflower channel
6.) Set the same channel on the Input Mixbus Session

Now you can Arrange in Logic but use Mixbus like a Summing Mixer with steroid ;-)

Thanks....Smile
Harrison Mixbus 32c v9, Cubase 12, Reaper, Wavelab 11, macOS 13.3. Apple Mac mini M1 16GB Ram 512GB SSD. Many Plugins,Instruments and Gadgets.
(07-28-2015, 06:47 AM)zseroka Wrote:
(07-27-2015, 05:54 PM)Jostein Wrote: EDIT: ..and this part is probably already described here.

I hope I understand you right and that this helps.

Thank You Jostein

indeed... I made the description, in the thread mentioned in your post
even today I put there screenshots, trying to help to Kendo Radnaksi Smile

Embarrassing, I was (and still am for that matter) 100% sober when I wrote it. Well, well.. shit happends.. Blush
Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox
(07-28-2015, 08:26 AM)Absolutely Last Efx Wrote: If you want to use Mixbus like as a Mixer for Logic i made this using Soundflower as driver to routing the signal from Logic X to the MixBus input channels....

Now you can Arrange in Logic but use Mixbus like a Summing Mixer with steroid ;-)

Thank You ALE,
Note that routing works just fine with Jack.
Although the biggest problem is with the sync, at least recording may be possible... will check Soundflower... but this does not change the main idea.

best :)

(07-28-2015, 10:01 AM)Jostein Wrote: Embarrassing, I was (and still am for that matter) 100% sober when I wrote it. Well, well.. shit happends.. :blush:

nothing bad happened :) thank You for taking part in the discussion
Logic X, MB2.5, 3, 4,
MB32C 3.7
[/quote]

Matt, I do not want to convert the MB into plug-in. I called it wrong in my first post in this thread.
Instead of this... I want to connect Logic/PT/Samplitude... to MB through the plugin similar to MIO CONSOLE CONNECT.
If You know MH product, than You know what I mean.
It really can be done.

Harrison Mixbus should be untouched. All what i sugest is...
Logic + something like MIO CONSOLE CONNECT + MB
thats all
[/quote]

Thanks zseroka for your communication on this topic. I have MH ULN-8 and have thought about this too. I would support it : )

Ted

(07-27-2015, 08:30 PM)Matt Wrote: That's because the secret to it's "sound" is in the mix engine. And it doesn't add any kind of analog coloring. Instead it's using years of Harrison knowledge to eliminate any kind of digital distortion created in the summing engine.

So while others are trying to recreate the "analog" sound with distortions/crosstalk/whatever other thing they can imagine. Harrison is going the other way. Making the cleanest/purest possible mix engine. And as someone that has used the mio console mix engine before, I can say it's the only other "digital mixer" I've ever found to sound "analog". So metric halo + mixbus is one great combo IMO.

Nicely explained

Thanks

Ted
It seems to me that most people didn't really understand what zseroka's meant by suggesting Harrison to make Mixbus a plugin.

He wants a plugin to act as a middle-man between another DAW and Mixbus, so both programs could communicate with each other in real time.

Apparently, he knows how to use Jack for this purpose...and he knows how annoying it is as well. It's a real PITA and it's just not worth it, in my opinion.

Something like MIO, which smoothly integrates into any DAW, is an infinitely better solution.
One real bad issue with JACK and DAW + MixBus is that if you change the name of a channel-strip in MixBus, Your JACK preset won't restore properly. As long as you're in the same session, life is good. Close that session and relaunch and you lose the connections between your other DAW. You have to manually recreate them.

HUGE PITA. (especially when you have to use TWICE the number of JACK connections because MixBus doesn't follow panning to subgroups with mono sources.)

AngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngry
(07-28-2015, 01:12 PM)tedma Wrote: I have MH ULN-8 and have thought about this too. I would support it : )

With the help of people like You we can do it :)

Ted

(07-27-2015, 08:30 PM)Matt Wrote: That's because the secret to it's "sound" is in the mix engine. And it doesn't add any kind of analog coloring. Instead it's using years of Harrison knowledge to eliminate any kind of digital distortion created in the summing engine.

Nicely explained

Thanks

Ted
[/quote]

...my two cents - this should be one of the most important phrase in The Harrison Mixbus Community.
The rest of the world should know about this as soon as possible

(07-28-2015, 01:24 PM)RMorgan Wrote: It seems to me that most people didn't really understand what zseroka's meant by suggesting Harrison to make Mixbus a plugin.

He wants a plugin to act as a middle-man between another DAW and Mixbus, so both programs could communicate with each other in real time.

RMorgan... You're the one who can really help - Thank you very much

(07-28-2015, 02:26 PM)James Greenlee Wrote: One real bad issue with JACK and DAW + MixBus is that if you change the name of a channel-strip in MixBus, Your JACK preset won't restore properly. As long as you're in the same session, life is good. Close that session and relaunch and you lose the connections between your other DAW. You have to manually recreate them.

HUGE PITA. (especially when you have to use TWICE the number of JACK connections because MixBus doesn't follow panning to subgroups with mono sources.)

:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@

This is another reason why we should push the main idea. Thank You.
Logic X, MB2.5, 3, 4,
MB32C 3.7
Hi everybody

i am new to this forum, since i bought HMB a few days ago.
I love the idea and the sound of MB, but the new version is a PITA to work with.

And i'm not using any 3rd party plugins in all the test sessions. Had some crashes and right now i'm playing around with a session with 19 audio tracks i imported. The whole system feels very sluggish, meters are delayed, i get crackled sounds, when i solo the Busses, even when nothing is routed to them. When i set the latency to 4096 the crackles are not so often, but the whole system feels even more sluggish then. I already contacted support regarding this issue. Let's see, what they have to say. I really would love to see everything working and i will help as much as i can, but i guess it's not only on the part of Harrison, but Ardour.

Therefor i totally support the idea for a MixBus Pro version like zseroka proposed. Since MB's quality is the mix engine, one would only need that part without all the hassles of Ardour, Jack, Open source etc.
Then there could be a normal MB version like now for all the users, who like to have it integrated into a workstation.

Sorry for my lousy english, it's not my native language :-)

All the best

Hi again

sorry, i have forgotten to post my setup Confused

MacBook Pro Retina (Mid 2012) Quad i7 2.6Ghz | 16GB RAM | 750GB SSD | ableton Live | Logic X | MixBus3